Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thats it... Im trying a song way out of my league.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Thats it... Im trying a song way out of my lea

This is good idea. But sometimes you have to practice stuff that may be a little boring at first to work up to speed. Just mix it in with other stuff. Trying something different will change your playing and make you a better player overall.

Comment

Hey, go for it! I have been playing for almost 20 years now and I wouldn't take that song on. I can't sweep, and I am too lazy to learn now. I can motor pretty well by alternate picking, but I am so far from Yngwie's speed that it is absurd!!

However, if it gets too tough...don't throw the towel in on playing. Some guys have the technique and some don't. Find your own style and most of all, ENJOY playing. It is not a contest.

Mike
      Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

this is opinion on stuff like this. unless you're playing it as cover and are trying to be basically a live juke box, I would not try to play it exactly note for note like what ever recording you're using, rather, try to play in his "style" study his scale patterns, instead of just copying a song, pretty soon you'll find the note and chord transitions will start to come to you instinctively
        I say the boy ain't right!

Comment

To hell with playing covers..the work is already done..your not going to master or improve upon a cover..and if you do "master" it...what do you have at the end of the day..a well played other guy's song IMO..

Take it as an inspiration..then use that when creating your own music..Take Uli..Loomis...VH...etc...and use and steal their tricks and tones and makes them yours...that's what they did.

I just want to be good enough to play my stuff alot easier, better and constant..
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Yeah this does sound kinda crazy. I dont expect to "MASTER" it exactly, but I want to be able to play it pretty damn close. Its definatley gonna be hard... I dont know how to sweep yet, but Ill learn as I come to it.

Theres a reason I decided to do this... It seems like for me, when ever I start doing something Im interested in(not just guitar related) I really take to it, the more I do it the better I get. Problem is Ive never applied this to guitar. Ive never staid on one thing long enough to get good at it, which is why my playing suffers.

Another problem with myself is Im a hands on learner. I learn much better from watching someone do something that I do reading it from a book. So aside from the tab book, Im trying to find as many videos of this song as I can. As I said I havent really ever had anyone superior to me to jam with, so I dont know the easiest way to play alot of things, and Ive found myself playing things much more difficult then they needed to be.

This is definatley going to take some time, but this song as a little bit of everything Id like to learn. If I can eventually play this, Ill feel alot better and more confident about meself as a guitarist. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
            Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Your determination is inspiring, Rob. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] I started playing again in Jun '04 after a 15 year hiatus, and I wasn't that serious about playing way back then - just noodled and learned what I could. Would've been a different story if the resources we have today were available back then. But I digress........

Since starting again, I was trying to learn one song at a time. My skills, or lack thereof, weren't allowing me to learn at a very fast pace so I'd get bored with the song and I've never finished learning a lot of the ones I started to work on. Since being deployed, I have more practice time (duh! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] ) and I decided to take a different approach. I now pick 3 songs to work on at the same time. A different song each day. It works great! The songs stay fresh and I don't get to the point where I want to give up. Plus, with each song I'm learning, I'm also improving my playing tremendously. I feel that I've improved more in the past 2 1/2 months than I did most of last year.
              My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Comment

dude, in my humble opinion that's the very best way to improve as a player. lately i've been focused on writing new songs, but a few years ago i used to practice difficult stuff such as dream theater 24/7, and i can honestly say it helped me a lot.
                the thing is that you're practicing stuff that really has musical content, rather than noodling scales and arps up and down the neck. plus you can steal a few licks [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                X