Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thats it... Im trying a song way out of my league.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thats it... Im trying a song way out of my league.

Ok so Ive been playing 9 years now, and Ive got nothing to show for it. Im only as good as players with half the experience if that. Ive never had anyone to jam with really, never anyone to lear off of, lessons for about a month when I first started, so as you can tell my technique sucks.

Ive tried a few instructional DVD's and I just lose interest, too damn booring. So Im going to try something different...

I never have any goals when playing... I just jam to what ever. Not anymore though. For the next (insert how ever long it takes), one hour a day, I will be practicing Yngwies "Far Beyond the Sun". It was the first of his songs Ive ever heard years ago, and still my favorite. 5 minute warm up doing what ever I want, then at least 1 hour of the song. ...and Im not stopping until I have it mastered, PERIOD. Theres no "if I cant do it then..." I will do it, and Im going to do it.

Now I realize to alot of you this song isnt anything special to play, but its going to be a real challenge for me... Once Ive got it mastered, Ill record it and post it up. Wish me luck! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Re: Thats it... Im trying a song way out of my lea

Your already half way there.
    Get a program where you can loop the parts you need to practice on.

Comment

Re: Thats it... Im trying a song way out of my league.

Go for it RR. Get out the metronome and take your time. Measure by measure! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
      Occupation: Department Director for the Department of Redundancy Department

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        Get a program where you can loop the parts you need to practice on.

[/ QUOTE ]

I use audacity. It's a recording program, but I can also loop parts around and even slow them down without changing the pitch. Works OK, good enough to learn the riff. The program is free too.

Good luck!

Comment

Dude, I'm doing the SAME thing with Death- Voice of the Soul

Comment

I have been in the same boat. For the last year or so I have been using Guitar Pro. I am getting better. Not great but better than I was. Keep at it and you'll get there.
            http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              Now I realize to alot of you this song isnt anything special to play, but its going to be a real challenge for me... Once Ive got it mastered, Ill record it and post it up. Wish me luck! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ohh no, this song is a challenge for anyone but Yngwie himself! And I'm not just talking about learning it, there's plenty of guys that can more or less play it, but to master it... to me there's only Yngwie himself that masters it!

This is in no way directed to what you say about mastering it, of course if you know the song and you can play it well you've more or less "mastered" it, but you know what I mean. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Good luck anyway!
              https://www.facebook.com/cutupofficial

Comment

Actually I made a list of all the songs I wanted to learn years ago. Then I made a list of all the solos I was inspired by and made a note to learn those. I get inspired and write out ideas all the time but my problem is when it comes to completing upon the ideas I get bogged down in wastig time with other things in my life..work, GF, house repairs, music dealings etc..

Some days its just enough to pickup and work on arps and scales.

Comment

dude, we are both practicing the same song!

I have been playing about as long as you have. I've been playing a little over 10 years

I just started learning it the other day

Comment

I've been trying to play it for a long time as well, but the practicing kinda stopped... don't know why. Maybe we could some kinda thing where we post our progress and give each other tips/opinions?

Comment

I make up riffs I can't play all the time...So I guess, I'm outta my league! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
                      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I've been playing 20 years and pretty much the only time I ever learn a complete song is when our band is covering it. That seems to be the only way I can get motivated enough to learn the entire thing.

Otherwise, I always just learn the riffs I like, and then get bored and move on. But hey, I admire your goal and you picked a great song to dedicate yourself to. Good luck!

P.S. - The "Amazing Slow Downer" software has helped me master some fast shit that I never could have learned otherwise. It's not free, but it is awesome.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          I make up riffs I can't play all the time...So I guess, I'm outta my league! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha. that seems familiar!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I gotta keep practicing!!!!

Comment

Having a goal is awesome. Having a goal thats realistic is even better. Just make sure you have the chops to master that song or you will get VERY frustrated. I would consider any guitar player who could master Far Beyond the Sun a MONSTER of a player. As far as shredding neo-classical style, thats about as advanced as it gets.
                            You are going to need a looper or a program or device to slow down the song but keep it in pitch (like that red Tascam guitar trainer, the correct tab, and a Malmsteen instructional DVD would be MOST HELPFUL. Yngwie's instructional video's are certainly for advanced shredders but at least you can see what positions he is ripping 20+ note per second on.
                            I don't want to discourage you but if you have been playing for 9 years but are only as good as players who have been playing for 4 and your technique sucks maybe you should be tackling an easier song or style. Malmsteen is very close to the top of the food chain when it comes to difficulty.
                            Many would agree.. Vai, Malmsteen, Macalpine, Roth and Eric Johnson are probably amongst the most difficult players to master. Actually, Roth is impossible. Humans can't play like that. Uli isn't a human. I am convinced of that.
                            Aren't there any less challenging songs you absolutely love?

Comment

You can tell Uli spent a great deal of time in breaking down relative chords and coming up with those picked arp sequences. It takes time, because that is how they did it.. they took the time to conceptulize, practice and breaking down their influences as well and coming up with alternative phrasing and ideas as well as playing the standard stuff..Hendrix, blues etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X