The end of tabs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The end of tabs?

Well, the law may have changed since I took business law in 1981, but the 85% rule was cited there, and cited when George Harrison lost the case for My Sweet Lord/He's So Fine. Again, my point in that post, which I may not have made clearly, is that you'd also have to change the name pf the song to make it look as if it was your own song that you'd tabbed out, not a tab of the "famous" song. I also said that while 85% was the rule of thumb, that a judge would decide and that an 80% similarity would not necessarily get you off the hook.

Figure that so many rock, pop- and metal songs have similar modes of construction that there could be a lot more plagarism suits than there are.
    Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

A big thanks to YetAnotherOne and lerxstcat for helping answer so many questions! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

YAO rules. just sayin.

hey lerx, i used tabs in the kiss trib band i was in. yeah, it's easy to figure out, but when you've got a show that falls into your lap with little notice and you have to learn 10 new tunes, it's alot easier if you have the tabs for them. just sayin. i knew most of the tunes already, but for little tweaks and stuff, they helped. oh yeah, and i got them from the books i purchased. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

someone raised a really neat idea about purchasing the tabs. i'm callin someone about that. that could be the next iTunes. heh. iTabs. and don't you fuckers think about doin that out from under me! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

are the artists losing money on internet tabs? probably not a ton, but it's still technically income that they're entitled to.

sully
        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
        Sully Guitars on Facebook
        Sully Guitars on Google+
        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

what about speech? It's not music, or is it? what about sites offering transcripts of speeches, poetry, news quotes etc? Does a speaker own his words? Speaking can be considered art, so why not? Where do you draw the line? if listening and taking notes and figuring out and documenting somebody else's noise, whether with an instrument, their mouth, in a musical context or not, is illegal, then all news sites are breaking the law?
          www.WarCurse.com

Comment

Just wondering.....

What if I hear a song on the radio and figure out how to play it and then teach some other guitar player I meet in the park [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] I just distributed "virtual tab", damn.

Do I break the law everytime I play it at home/park/hood of my car because instead of buying the CD I'm playing the songs for my enjoyment?

What if people are around, what distance is considered a public performnce ?? How many ?? Who ??

I would think there is some grey area or "spirit" of the law fuzziness here.

On the other hand iTabs would be great and if there is truely a market then it will happen and Lars can get his .0002 cents every time I download one of his tabs [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I would pay a couple bucks a song to download good tab. Hell they could even offer studio backing tracks for an upcharge. The music is already there, ready to go !!!

Hey Sully, lets add that feature to iTabs and be partners !!!!

Comment

Guys, don't think that YAO doesn't violate copyright laws. He's just telling you what the law is [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]
              I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

there's a thread over at HCAF that's quoting a news website which pretty much says that playing someone's music while trying out an amp or a guitar at GC or whatever is technically a public presentation of that song, and therefore is illegal.

but then again, that's HCAF....

Comment

Just to play the regular metallica-sheep again, Lars has nothing to do with this. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
                  You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    Guys, don't think that YAO doesn't violate copyright laws. He's just telling you what the law is [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

+1

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Copyright law is rife with exceptions, it's useful to know where they are. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                      Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

These fuckers need to quit biting the hands that feed them.
                        I still keep practicing though.... Mostly because I hate my neighbors.-MakeAJazzNoiseHere

Comment

Working...
                        X