X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: $4.00 a gallon gas? HOLY CRAP!

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Yeah, but how much of yours is tax? From what I understand, it should be close to what we pay, but the European governments have put very heavy taxes on it driving it to the price it is. Same in Canada. I could be wrong, though. Also, how far does the average person commute in Sweden and what is an average per month mileage estimate? Just curious.

[/ QUOTE ]

Average milage per year is about 20 000 km ~ 32000 miles.

About 65-70% of the price of gas is taxes. If 1 litre of gas costs 11.05 SEK, 7.15 SEK is taxes.

An average swede makes about 2500 trips each year (by car). 1200 of those is to work, school or for business. 600 is for buying food, drive the kids to school, hospital-trips etc. The rest is for leisure and hobbies.

An average swede has ~15km (24 miles) to work/school if he live in one of the larger cities. In the countryside, the same number is ~20km (36 miles).

[/ QUOTE ]you've got your km/miles backwards. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    Its a complete catastrophe. But Im a professional, I can rise above it. LOL

Comment

I paid 2.89 this morning in Aurburn
      I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Comment

Yeah, cheapest here back to $2.99/$3.09/$3.25 in Cleveland, Ohio.

Comment

It's $3-$3.25 in Seattle though, Auburn is 25 mi south
          I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            you've got your km/miles backwards. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/eviltongue.gif[/img] The last number should have been 32, and not 36. Who cares? [img]/images/graemlins/help.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

filled up for 2.99 a Gal today...

hell , they're givin' it away!!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

yesterday I ran out of gas and payed 1,48 euros a liter.
                this should be about 7 usd a gal?!

paying gas sucks nowadays... [img]/images/graemlins/eviltongue.gif[/img]
                tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  Drilling in Alaska? Hello funding to research for alternative fuels? Hydrogen cells? Organic waste being turned into fuel? Solar power? Microwave collectors? Something we don't know about?

[/ QUOTE ]

Fact is that, aside from environmental concerns, there's no reason to rush out and try to replace oil as the world's primary fuel source. There's a pretty good (and very short) article on oil prices here that hints at that, "To pick just one example among many, finding costs are essentially zero for the 3.5 trillion barrels of oil that soak the clay in the Orinoco basin in Venezuela, and the Athabasca tar sands in Alberta, Canada. Yes, that's trillion--over a century's worth of global supply, at the current 30-billion-barrel-a-year rate of consumption." Similarly there's another 30-year global supply in the shale beds of 3 western US states that'll likely be commercially viable with oil above $30/bbl. There are many, many more such examples worldwide as well, e.g., a friend who's more familiar with US coal reserves than I informs me that there's another 100-200 years worth of global oil supply locked up in US coal reserves alone. When you consider the rest of the world's hydrocarbon deposits, it's pretty clear that it'll be centuries before we really do run out of oil so there's not exactly a rush to find a replacement.

So why don't you hear about this stuff more often? Simple: the magic number where much of it becomes commercially viable is around $30/bbl and oil simply doesn't average $30/bbl, it has never stayed long at or above that level. The reason (in the modern world) being that the folks who (often unsuccessfully) try to influence global oil prices know about these alternative sources and try to keep prices at a point where the alternatives aren't commercially viable. In other words, there's a reason OPEC's price target is almost always below $30/bbl ... they simply don't want the competition. They (or anyone else trying to influence the global oil market) withold production to raise prices and bring excess capacity online to bring prices down. Problem is that right now there's almost no surplus capacity to bring online. Even if there was significant excess capacity the world's fleet of tankers is operating about almost 100% capacity so there's no way to transport more supply right now. Chicken little types interpret tightening supplies as meaning that we're running out of oil. We aren't but we are running out of oil that can be moved from the bottom of a well to ground level for a couple of bucks per barrel or less. The current tight supplies are merely a reflection of the fact that oil prices in inflation-adjusted terms were at pretty much their lowest point in the history of the planet in the late 90s. Oil companies were losing their asses and as a result didn't invest in bringing new supplies online or building new transportation infrastructure. Now that a barrel of oil is worth more than a bucket of warm spit again that situation will be corrected in a year or two as new supplies are brought into production and more tanker capacity is built.
                  Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

truth be told..these fucks can charge 10 bucks a gal..

you gotta drive , go to work and shit..

they got us by the shorties!

fuckers!.. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

• Re: $4.00 a gallon gas? HOLY CRAP!

When the price gets to the point where the people cut the trips short and they spend more on gas and less on other things, demand will dry up. There is no shortage of oil or gas. Otherwise, you would have seen the price of oil skyrocket. It may seem bad now, but the oil business guys "know" and that is why the prices have stabilized. If the price of oil and then gas go much higher it will throw us into a recession. And I will bet my single-wide trailer that the Arabs and Greenspan, this is his last hurraah, will not let that happen, [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                      I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

They don't even have cupholders in german cars... All business those guys...

Comment

Calm down, yous guys. The price of a barrel of oil is below what it was before the 'cane. Settle down and call it $3.99 and falling. There is no way that any of our "BUBAAS" are going to let the rest of the country sink (no pun intended). They call it a "BLIP". [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] A 100 billion dollar blip [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
                          I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Working...
                          X