Ford Engines-1997-Expedition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ford Engines-1997-Expedition

Thanks guys. The 1997 with the 4.6 doesn`t have the tow package. I deffinately want 4 wheel drive, so I am down to the Suburban 3/4 ton 4x4-Tahoe 3/4 ton 4x4-D250/350-F250/350. How is the Dodge 360 magnum? It seams alot of the used ones around me have that engine in the D250`s. Also, the older Fords 351, is it good? I know the 318 is a good engine, but in a full sized 4x4 I am hesitant. A 4x4 Van in 3/4 and 1 tone would be sweet, still looking into the 1989 one with the 6.9 deisel, I will ask if it has a turbo. He did say it burns a little oil and leaks a little in the front seal? I do love the looks of the 1993 Dodge full sized trucks, I almost bought one over my Dakota, but really didn`t nead that much then [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Jack.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      GM has the Duramax Deisel, which is awesome, and they have the Allison transmission. That combo smokes anything Ford or Dodge has to offer. Ford and Dodge make great deisels, but the tranny is the achilles heel in those trucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Chuck, I have seen Cummins Rams running 10 second, YES 10 SECOND, quarter miles on the Mopar manual trannies.

The Cummins rules the roost. With proper head fastening you can ram 100 psi of boost through them. 100 psi of boost!!!! Some guys run sequential setups with a smaller Holset feeding a monster suitable for a big rig. No lag and a monster wheel for efficient high boost applications. There really is nothing like seeing a diesel truck rip off a 10 second pass...while spewing a Mt. St. Helens equivalent cloud of black smoke down the quarter!!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Mike
      Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

I just found out the 6.9 Deisel doesn`t have a Turbo [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] I am going to look at a 1998 Dodge 2500 Extended Cab short bed 4x4 with the 360 Magnum with 78,000 miles. Automatic, air, tilt,cruise, AM/FM CD, Tow Package, Marker lights, power windows, seats and door locks. $12,900. Is this a decent price? Thanks-Jack.

Comment

I drove a 3/4 Dodge 4x4 and rode like a brick very rough.My old 1987 3/4 Chevy rode better and that truck was hammered.IMO the Fords seems to ride better than the Dodges and the Chevys are more "car like in ride".The Dodges are not bad but have horror stories about there automatic transmissions , that is what kept me form buying one.I ended up with a 1997 F350 4x4 with a 351.I should have waited for a PS truck but I needed a truck fast.

Jack try these sites to get a idea what the prices should be. http://www.kbb.com/ http://www.edmunds.com/
          Mike
          --------------------------------------------------------------------
          SLS TG // SLATQH TSB // 2 CS Soloists both 24.75 scale // 5 Archtop PROs //

Comment

Thanks bro!! I actually like a really stiff suspension, I use to own a Jeep CJ-7 with the super stiff suspension. Now the Tranny problems scare me bro, that`s another issue altogether.Although, it seams to me, all of the big 3 trucks have had transmission issues at different times. I think it is the luck of the draw as they say. I found a 1997 of said Dodge above for $10,988 with 63,000 miles, that sounds like a better deal. Jack.

Comment

Dodge 500/518 transmissions seem to be problematic in a few ways. Weird as it is a 4speed trans based on a pretty good 3spd trans. Most of the "basic" troubles seem to be with the electronic governor pressure control solenoid on the electronic controled units. This controls shifting. Although serious failures are fairly normal too. We do tend to have more Dodge Rams in the shop than Ford or GMs. I wouldn't buy one myself. The front end issues with them ($$$ to fix) and the trans issues sorta bum me out.

GMs 4L60E trans's (base yukon and Tahoe not 3/4 ton) mostly have issues with the "1870" generic slip code. This is a Valve Body/ Torue converter issue. Cheaply fixed if caught when it starts. If not, serious failure can result (rebuild time). Don't ignore a check engine light and shuddering at highway speeds, you'll be sorry.

The Fords break in quite a few ways haha. Depending on which one of the 3 large ford truck transmissions we're talking about and basically they can break real good. They are often serious failures.

Although a Ford racer, I'd prefer the GM trucks. If you're talking 3/4 ton GM stuff, you'll likely be talking big 4L80E trans(as opposed to the 4L60E that is in the base Yukon and Tahoes, and yes even S-10s, which is a good trans as well), and the 4L80E's are seriously strong transmissions for the application. Good pieces really. Pricey when they do break, but don't break as much as most.

Shame the Dodges look so cool. I sorta want one. But, don't want their issues.

Comment

Thanks bro!! My Dakota, start shking under my feet at highway speed, but doesn`t feel like front end, seams like tranny or maybe even driveshaft, maybe torque converter. Starts after 62 miles an hour. Jack.

Comment

haha, how weird. 62mph "seems" to be the magical G-Spot where the GMs start their lockup shuddering. I read data for the 1870 codes, and where lockup is coming in and out at highway cruising, it so often shows 62MPH as the speed it sets the code. How odd you said that about the dodge.

Dakotas/durangos have the 500/518, but "seem" to give less troubles prolly because of the lesser weight they have to move I guess. Most of THEIR issues are the rear end in them. We pretty much refuse to rebuild them anymore as they are such a pain to redo and make quiet, haha... We do lotsa rear ends with no troubles but they seem to be a thorn. Sad, as they are just a Dana rear end. But they sure piss me off.

I'd drop the drive shaft on your Dakota quickly and look the U-Joints over closely on that Dakota... Have you ran anything over that might have whacked the driveshaft lately?

If it is vibrating a lot, it will tear the tailshaft bushing or eventhe housing on the trans up really nicely, and if it is the 4sp 500/518, they are pricey to build.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    [ QUOTE ]
                    Skip everything I typed

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a good idea.

Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

You forgot where I said about buying a diesel for hauling. Like it or not, I'm not too much an idiot about cars.

Screw hauling shit, buy a mobile home thing for travel, and buy a Honda for reliability.

Comment

Thanks CM. It is a 1993 with an automatic and the 318 mag. I had the U-Joints changed a few months ago. The Limited Slip rear end went bad and had another put in, in the Non-LS version in.My reaend has the 3:90 ration and where I bought the used one, it wasn`t tagged, but they said it was the same, but could it be the 3:55 or 3:73 and cause this, or would I have had more problems by now if they made this mistake? I will have my drive shaft checked also. Thanks man-Jack.

Comment

Working...
                      X