Ford Engines-1997-Expedition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ford Engines-1997-Expedition

I am looking into buying a 1997 Ford Expedition, and unlike most of them with the optional 5.4 engine, this one has the standard 4.6 engine. Could anyone tell me the differences between the 2 as in horsepower and torque? I am going to be towing a 5000 pound camper with heavey tongue weight and I know the 5.4 is strong, but have no experience with the 4.6. Any info would be appreciated. My 1993 Dodge Dakota is a little long in the tooth, but the 318 magnum has 230 horsepower and is very strong. I would think the Expedition is heavier than my Dakota, so the horsepower and torque of the 4.6 has me a little concerned? Thanks-Jack.

Re: Ford Engines-1997-Expedition

It probably won't make it out the driveway. Or won't make it back to the driveway [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

That bad bro? I have never owned a Ford of any kind before, are they that unreliable. I want it to be tough and strong, my Dakota has been both. Jack.

Comment

They are plenty reliable. The modular 4.6 is built for fleet duty and can easily see 300,000+ miles with regular maintenance. I have a Crown Vic, it is a '99 PI. The motors are not that strong, however, 230 HP in the Vickie IIRC. I don't know how it would do pulling a huge load behind an already heavy and underpowered vehicle. My suggestion for heaving towing is simple, POWERSTROKE DIESEL. I think you have to step up to an Excursion though for it...I am not sure as I have never considered an SUV.

Mike
        Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

Hmmmmmmmmmmm.......... My Dakotas 318 has 230 horses and 270 pounds of torque, but I know the Expedtion is kinda heavey bro. Ya man, my brother has a new F350 with the deizel, awsome power!! Maybe I should get an F250 or 350 with the V10 as the deisels are very expensive, even used. I am also looking into a E350 4x4 van with a 6.9 deisel engine, bad news is it only has 2 seats, would it be hard to add 2 seats or a bench? If that 1997 Expedition had the 5.4, I would be all over it. Is the 4.6 a better engine? Thanks-Jack.

Comment

Adding seats to the Van would not be hard at all. You might even be able to score a nice set at a junkyard with all the brackets. If you have a drill and some wrenches you can do it.

Edit:

Make sure you get the seat belts and the mounting hardware too if you go this route.

Comment

I've driven some expeditions with 4.6's in them, for a motor that is really 266CI, they're pretty peppy. Not sure I'd tow with it though.

My biggest peeve is that the transmission in them are iffy. It will either have a 4R70W (AODE) or a the 5.4 versions are likely to have a E4OD or 4R100 in the later units. Even as a ford guy, I'm not a fan of the longetivity of those transmissions. I run a 4R70W in my Mustang, and yeah it runs around 500hp, but I had to do so much to the trans to make it live under those conditions it was hilarious.

The E4ODs and 4R100s are such a sluggish feeling unit it bums me out. Weird they put the E4ODs in the Lightning Pickups.

why don't you look at Yukons/Tahoes? The pre 2000s have the 5.7 liter (classic GM 350)and the post have the 5.3 and that is a fair unit still. They run the 4L60 transmissions in them and those are a solid piece other than a few quirks.

I race a Mustang and love the 302, but drive a Yukon for a daily driver. I love it and find it really reliable... I really am not a fan of the Ford trucks at all. Buying a truck? Get a GM.

Comment

Most of the motorcycle race team guys I know that are pulling heavy trailers all around the country are using GM, and the vast majority are running deisels. I think it's a must if pulling is a priority.

Comment

Thanks for the great info fellas, I was thinking of a Yukon/Tahoe or a Suburban actually. I deffinately want a 3/4 ton if I get one. I am seriously thinking of the Van also. How is the reliablity of the 6.9 Deisel? Thanks for the seats answers bro. Jack.

Comment

The 4.6 is not a bad engine just very underpowered in a heavy vechile.The 5.4 is a better choice as it has more torque to get you moving.I would personally get a F250 or F350 with the Powerstroke.The hell with a gas motor for towing.The PS with pull your trailer with ease and push you back into the seat unloaded [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]. The V10 is a good motor for towing but the 8-10 miles a gallon really sucks.And it not much better unloaded.

The older 6.9s are not bad but need to be a turbo model otherwise it will be a pig.The E350 4x4 is not stock from Ford.The are converted by a company called http://www.quigley4x4.com/
                    Mike
                    --------------------------------------------------------------------
                    SLS TG // SLATQH TSB // 2 CS Soloists both 24.75 scale // 5 Archtop PROs //

Comment

I don't think you can get the Duramax in an SUV or Surbuban platform.

Comment

No Duramax in the in SUVs or Vans just the 6.0L (366)or the 8.1(502).
                        Mike
                        --------------------------------------------------------------------
                        SLS TG // SLATQH TSB // 2 CS Soloists both 24.75 scale // 5 Archtop PROs //

Comment

Of course, if you really want a Diesel..there is but ONE option.

Cummins.

You are already a Mopar guy. Go for an extended cab Ram with a Cummins and you can tow until Armageddon is upon us.

Mike
                          Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

Go diesel.

Comment

Mopar all the way.
                              I test drove a new Ram with a diesel and at 30 mph I stabbed the gas and it broke the back tires loose. Chevy allways made a crappy diesel, the Ford diesels are very good too lots of upgrades you can do to those.

The mopar diesel is rated at 555+ ftlbs torque and over 500+ horsepower. You will have the resale also. Never go with a Gas V10 your just throwing money away its just a status symbol thing they suck for pulling compared to a diesel.

Comment

Working...
                              X