Calling all car tire experts.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Calling all car tire experts.

I liked my Traction TA's, great tire for the money but I have alloys on my Mazda. They are a bit noisy tho..

Comment

I thought JCF is the place for tire-kickers, NOT tire experts.
      [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

well, if it were mine I wouldn't go down in size [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Most of the stuff left now that wasn't shipped back to BFG are tires that spent a good deal of time running low on pressure. Bad idea [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Still waiting for BFG to issue an official TSB on the problem but nothing yet...... I wonder how many Hyundai owners out there have had this happen. This can turn into some serious trouble for them (bfg) if they're not careful.

I guess they are just hoping that we caught enough bullets on their behalf that were not gonna let their product (i.e. liability) back out on the Hyundais [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

The cause of that is not the tire, but the hubcap itself or the fault of the installer. If he has the factory caps, this is also irrelevant because the factory caps for that car are fastened by the lug nuts.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            The cause of that is not the tire, but the hubcap itself or the fault of the installer. If he has the factory caps, this is also irrelevant because the factory caps for that car are fastened by the lug nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes the caps are fastened by the lugs, more specifically a plastic washer ala the honda design. the factory tires do not have a rim guard. the bfg traction does. the fastening design relies on the hubcap being completely flush with the rim to limit its movement. with the rim guard the hubcap is pushed slightly away from the rim and the motion limiting pieces do not make contact. the valve stem is completely surrounded in the factory hub cap design by sharp plastic which cuts the stem at the base. without the contact of the pieces that lock the hub caps movement there is slight side to side movement. the hub cap also is pushed out more at the bottom and the in and out motion of the cap at the bottom of the tires rotation is what is believed to cause the biggest problem.

we have tried several techniques to either alter the hub caps fitment and even remove the casing around the valve stem but have had no success. at a recent meeting our MAST rep did acknowledge an issue with this fitment but the company has not done anything official about it.

those hub cap equipped hyundais simply cannot handle any make or brand of tire with a rim guard. the bfg traction is the most handy example of this perticular problem due to the wide range of retailers of the tire and the fact that in our case it was one of the first products H or T rated we offered as a mass market product in the 195/60-15 size.

The problem is completely outside of the installers control and until the vehicles (from 40 + stores) started notifying us of the issue there was really no way to tell. The simplest fix is to use a non rim guard tire. On several of these, though, customers bought some Estrellas so they could keep the tires cause they liked them so much. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I guarantee by the 4th quarter this year or the first quarter next year this issue will be addressed by BFG and a "new product" will be available for the application.

Comment

Working...
            X