Calling all car tire experts.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling all car tire experts.

I need to get new tires ASAP. I am looking to stay under 70/tire. From what I can tell, Walmart or Sam's Club is the best bet. I am putting them on a 2005 Hyundai Elantra. Can anyone recommmend anything?

Thanks,

GMS
    Light intervened, annihliating darkness.
    The path of salvation made clear for the prodigal human race

Re: Calling all car tire experts.

If I was going for a tire in that range, these have quite the nice reviews and I've had good luck with this brand.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?...re1=yes&place=0

This has a lot of info here on various tires performance:
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey....jsp?type=HPAS

Comment

Sam's Club is a great place to get tires- I buy them there for most of my vehicles, unless I want something special. Even then, I was able to get BFG All-Terrains and BFG Mud-Terrains for my trucks there cheap. I have Interco Super Swampers on my '57 Willy's, and had Falken Azenis on my former Nissan (R.I.P.), which I had to get elsewhere. You can save a couple bucks through the Tire Rack, but then you have to pay shipping and get someone to mount and balance them. Sam's does it all right there, plus lifetime rotation.

Comment

BTW, I'm not advocating purchasing them from tire rack. Just advocating using their information to make your decision.

Definitely purchase local. Road hazard warranty is a real bummer otherwise.

Comment

From what I hear walmart and sams club have pretty good warrantys. Another reason I want to go to one of those two places is because if I waltzed into a tires plus, they would hit me up from new tires to a new main deflector dish and everything else you could imagine...
          Light intervened, annihliating darkness.
          The path of salvation made clear for the prodigal human race

Comment

Kumho!

love that name!)

Seriously, My buddy bought some for his leased maxima and they were ok. REAL cheap too.
            When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              Kumho!

love that name!)

Seriously, My buddy bought some for his leased maxima and they were ok. REAL cheap too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Decent tires- Yokohama and Dunlop also have some inexpensive tires as well.

Comment

potenza G009's or turanza el400's should be in that $$$ range. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
                Guitars... Rhoads RX10D
                Amp... Pioneer
                Effects... Boss ME-20

Comment

Both are nice tires.

Comment

Check Discount Tire for a quote...my g/f and I shopped Sams Club & Fleet Farm before going there. She just purchased a set of Arizonian Silver Edition 185/70/14 A/B rated with 550 treadwear .. 60 bucks a tire. If you are a new customer, they also will give you a 25.00 gift card if you want to work them on the price a little. Install was 10.00 a tire.
                    waste & disposal 2.00/tire. Do the math, it seems in your ballpark. I was somewhat hestitant about the tire brand name, but she's had them about 10k and they have performed great and the tread looked aggressive enough for decent winter traction.

If you like warranty above the manufacturers, they have a 'plan' with extended warranty with free replacement. With life spin & balance and the extended replacement certificates...it was still around 3 bills.

Arizonian-Discount Tire link

Comment

Spend the money on Toyo tires...best freaking tires ever made.

I've got 205 40 17s on a civic, and man...they kill. Low profiles, and they still wear forever. Definately worth the money.

You may also be able to buy them off of eBay, but make sure you're buying NON REJECTS! and make sure you're buying from a reputable seller.

Comment

I'm general manager of a Tire Discounters location in Cincinnati. If you have any specific questions pm me. I can give you some pretty good insight at the very least.

And to the Tires Plus crack made above, HAHAHAHAH !!! I worked for them for 10 years (the first six under a different name). Those poor guys are REQUIRED to try and sell you everything and anything they can. Company goal is $1000 per car per visit. They figure the average oil change customer who is lured in by the gimmic oil change coupon should spend $3000 plus per year. The most CROOKED organization in automotive.....but hey, when Firestone is pulling the strings it's no wonder.

I wouldn't let them put air in a flat tire to get me elsewhere......(by the way, they are encouraged to charge you for that as well if you're not getting the tire taken care of there !) [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

For that price/ car, BF Goodrich Traction TA's. $66 a tire at Sam’s + about $50 for 4 tire installation/ balancing/ valve stems/ warrantee/ disposal/ state fee. 60k mile/ 4 year warrantee including, free rotations every 7,500 miles, life time balancing, free flat repair and road hazard protection( good at any Sam's location). They will be a special order tire which you can just order online and have them shipped to your club…takes about a week and you'll get and email when they come in. Hate the store with a passion but you can't beat em for tires.

Comment

^^if that Hyundai has hub caps the Traction T/A is THE WORST tire he can install. It has a rim guard and that pushes the hubcap slightly away from the rim. Problem there is that the caps move freely and in turn cut the valve stems. When we rolled this tire out with a buy 3 get 1 free about 5 months ago it turned into a nightmare. On luxury cars (or anything we took Michelin MXV4's off of.....like a hyundai *non-luxury but with the Michelin o.e. fitment*) they were brought back for excessive road noise. Double whammy with hub cap equipped hyundais because they were getting flats everywhere. I think all of our stores have at least 2-3 sets of "slightly used" 195/60-15 & 205/60-16 BFG tractions laying around collecting dust.....

If the car has alloy wheels the valve stem cutting wont be a problem but if your switching from MXV4's to tractions there will be a significant noise increase. Aside from that the Traction is a wonderful tire.

Comment

I need tires for my womans 1995 alloy rimmed Stratus. It takes 195/65/15s.

Will those castoff 195/60/15s that are laying around gathering dust be appropriate for it? I might take a set off their hands!

Comment

Working...
                              X