Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Signiature Model Guitars - Love'em or Hate'em?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Signiature Model Guitars - Love\'em or Hate\'em?

The only axe I've ever wanted due to a famous player was a '78 LP Silverburst I saw Ace Frehley playing. I am not into 'endorsee' guitars.

That being said - the two J/C models I'm gassing for these days...
    PCA and PC1. Never cared much for Phil's playing, but his guitars are sweet!
    750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
    Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

I don't care who plays what guitar to be honest. If I like a guitar, then I like it. I certainly would never buy a guitar just because some other guitar player does. I have not seen too many sig models that I really like anyway. The only ones that come to mind are the Kerry King ESP V, the Dave Mustaine King V, and Dimebag's ML's. I don't mind the small signature on the headstock thing either.
      Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

I don't care too much either way if a guitar is a signature model of not. (Though I'd probably be a little reluctant to own a Fred Durst signature model. [img]/images/graemlins/what.gif[/img])

The nice thing about signature models is that a lot of the time, they have unusual, even completely wacky specs that'd be hard or impossible to get otherwise. Off the top of my head:

RR - original pointy V shape
        Lynch - maple (!) body
        Nuno - unfinished barebones body
        Petrucci - funky forearm cut

Comment

KV and RR user, right here...

Comment

I've never been too big on Signature models. For the simple fact that they're mass produced and are nothing like the originals. Take the Lynch ESPs. The Skull and Snakes in particular. I wanted one until I saw one up close. The pixels in the graphic turned me off like a lightswitch. Yngwie's Fender strat boasts 3 DiMarzio single coils (first the HS-3 and then the Yngwie model), anyone who knows about Yngwie knows that the middle single coil is clipped, but the sig model has all three working.

I'd just rather build replicas on my own than pay lots of money to have someone aproximate a guitar to some pre-determined specs.
            Occupy JCF

Comment

I play RR's. Not because of Randy, but because they are the most comfortable, best playing guitars I have ever played. If his sig was plasted on the front of the headstock, I would still play them.

Comment

I own two different Sig. guitars. One being a PC1 and the other being a G&L Fullerton. The PC1 is by far the best playing, most comfortable bolt on I have ever layed my hands on. PLUS, it has the sustainer thingy. Cool for effect on a couple of tunes. The Fullerton is better playing than any Fender Strat I have ever played IMO. I don't really care that much for Phil's playing or Def Leppard for that matter and up until I bought the G&L I hadn't thought about George Fullerton or Leo either. I picked the guitar up and it felt good and sounded great acoustically. I never really even thought of them as Sig. guitars too much until now. I guess it doesn't matter to me.

Comment

I would love to own one of every signature Fender.
                  John5 Tele first...
                  Look Up...Get Up...And Never EVER Give Up...

Comment

I agree with Ralph and for the most part I am not into the Sig model guitar thing. Why play and display some schmo on your +$1K guitar specially since you will not sound like that schmo.

Having said that. If the guitar has some features that you will not otherwise find on that company's product line, and on any other guitar company, then by all means get it and play it.
                    For instance, I find my FMIC Yngwie Malmsteen Sig Strat fascinating since such deep scallops are VERY hard to find on any guitar. I just acquired an Eric Johnson Strat and I am nothing short of amazed on how well it paly and feels, VERY unique instrument.
                    All these thing are palpable mechanical and very unique features. Unlikely that you will find them unles you go custom shop (and shell the bucks)or go Warmoth.

I am most against the Sig graphic based guitars that have very little on the unique playing side, just the graphics.
                    To me, IMHO, that is sort of corny. Pull out a Warren DiMartini or EVH Charvel and look or sound nothing like those two.
                    Thank goodness the new FMIC CS Clapton and Beck Strats have the signature on the back of the headstock. Talk about plain jane guitars....
                    Mr. Patience.... ask for a free consultation.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      Toru are you a fan [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                      My favourite is the little red one - Bo or was it Po

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                      I like the Yellow one.
                      Hr name is Lala.
                      [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        I've never been too big on Signature models. For the simple fact that they're mass produced and are nothing like the originals. Take the Lynch ESPs. The Skull and Snakes in particular. I wanted one until I saw one up close. The pixels in the graphic turned me off like a lightswitch. Yngwie's Fender strat boasts 3 DiMarzio single coils (first the HS-3 and then the Yngwie model), anyone who knows about Yngwie knows that the middle single coil is clipped, but the sig model has all three working.

I'd just rather build replicas on my own than pay lots of money to have someone aproximate a guitar to some pre-determined specs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yngwie also has his tone control clipped.
                        The Eric Johnson Sig Strat is supposed to be EXACTLY like the real thing and it doesn't have the hokey sig on the headstock either.

Comment

I like Lynch's Kamikazi models mostly, having one its apparent I do.

The sound characteristics of a maple body is preffered, its full, bright and sustains for days. The neck 1 and 3/4, its wide but I have big hands/long fingers and fits like a glove.

The Ebony fretboard as far as tone and sound characteristics it compliments the maple body. It adds to the sustain capabilities. As far as playing is concerned I appeciate the ease and smoothness of an ebony fretboard.

The single volume knob with its push/pull pickup feature is simplicity at its best. The guitar isn't cluterred with various knobs and switches. Simplicity is a beautiful thing.

The OFR, I've had both the liscened and original, the original wins hands down.

The screamin demon humbucker, its a definitive hard rock, metal pickup, WHEN, placed in the right wood. The pickup was intended to be used with maple and alder bodies. Placed in anything else, besides alder and maple, the results won't have the same tonal characteristics. Considering the maple body and ebony fretboard, the pickup is a squealer. No problems producing open and squealing piched harmonics. I love the thing, I know how to use it.

The graphic, I really didn't then and still don't care for it. The kamikazi graphic isn't stunning in fact a very lame graphic. I would rather it been a solid color.
                          However, I didn't buy it for its graphic, but, for its tone and sound characteristics, the hardware and overall brilliant simplicity in volume/pickup knob arrangement.

By far, its the better/best guitar at this point I've owned.
                          I wouldn't haved then and probably even now, been able to find what I was looking for in another name brand guitar for the money.
                          I occasinally gig in it and its proven to be a solid working horse guitar.

I've played Via's Jem, didn't feel right to me and the volume and tone knobs and pickup switch arrangement isn't to my likeing, all that stuff gets in my way and looks cluttery. I'm not that kind of player that needs all the stuff on the body top. I do all the tweaking with my amp and pedals. I've played Les Paul's, sweet guitars but not worth their hefty price tag, sorry. I do like the Les Paul sound though, very much. It takes alittle tweaking but I can get close to reproducing the les paul sound on my kami. I can even get a good strat tone with the neck pickup and play some modren country stuff.

To each their own, if it meets my needs and is reasonably priced whether its a signature model or not, I'll get it.
                          Thanks.
                          Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

I got a Kramer Nightswan, simply because it was there and I had money. Add no patience to that equation and BOOM. I got's myself a swan.

Comment

I don't go out and buy Sig models but if they fit my needs I have no problem ie.. Jems and the EBMM Petrucci
                              I keep the bible in a pool of blood
                              So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

I like sig guitars. I'm never going to be famous and the artist has done all the work at refining the sound and style and have money to do it. I don't have that luxury, I'm at work all the time it seems. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] But the guitar has to satisfy all my requirements too. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Jason

Comment

Working...
                                X