Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Signiature Model Guitars - Love'em or Hate'em?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Signiature Model Guitars - Love'em or Hate'em?

I've been thinking alot lately about signiature model guitars, and I was wondering what everyone's opinion of signiature model guitars is?

Here are my thoughts:

1) I used to love replica guitars, I had a bunch of them in the early years of collecting. Had many of the Jake themes, had an Amir Rough Cutt copy, George Lynch, Warren DiMartini, and the list goes on and on. But now i'm not into it anymore, I just don't have an urge to have someone else's guitar, I want have my own stuff that represents who I am as a guitar player.

2) I've always DESPISED artist signiatures on headstocks. I think it looks retarded and I refuse to buy stuff with it there. I'm shelling out 1200+ the last thing I need is a signiature ruining the look of the headstock. Put it on the back if your so vain and you need to see your signiature on the guitar.

Eric Johnson doesn't sign his new signiature model, why does everyone else?

The above are my general feelings these days about it, for any brand, and guitar. I don't think there's a right/wrong opinion, and please let's not start a war over this, but i'd love to know everyone's thoughts on this...

I just bought a red EVH (contrary to my previous thoughts) and that's whats had me thinking about this...

I also would consider the new Phil Collen strathead, but I can't stand Phil Collen as a guitar player, and i'm certainly not spending money on a guitar with his name on the headstock.

Re: Signiature Model Guitars - Love\'em or Hate\'em?

I pretty much agree. Some of the sig. models have features and/or cosmetics not available on the regular "production" models, so depending on what I'm looking for at the time will determine spending the extra cash on the sig. model.

Comment

the only sig. i own is a Mike Dirnt P-bass. i bought it for not mike's name (which isn't on the bass at all), but for the specs you could gte for the price. and its amazing, i love it.

Comment

I don't really care if it is signature guitar or not, if it looks cool and sounds great, then why not buying one. I love how DeMartini's guitars look and sound, I would buy them even if I don't like Warren as a player.
        "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

I really love my Washburn Nuno Signature models, but he is also my favorite player. As for other sig models, I guess it's just up to personal preference/appeal

Comment

For me it depends on the specs. I've had a Mustaine KV Pro and didn't like the Kahler, but since there was not a KV-2 around for the same price, I got that one because I wanted a KV.

Obviously if you get an RR, you get an RR, there's no way around that. I don't care to have an LTD, Pokey Dot, or whatnot, but I do like JCF01 and would like to get another PCS someday, but it's not a priority.

And you can't buy a Gibson Les Paul without it saying Les Paul on it.

I'd definitely buy an Iommi SG with the cross inlays, but if I can pick up a Gothic SG and have it inlaid and glossed then there's no point.

I like ACDC but any 62 RI SG will suffice.

I'm not an EVH devotee, so if I get one of the Art Series it will be because I got a screaming deal on it or I had $3000 extra gathering dust [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I like the quilted tops on the Collens, and the neck isn't too bad, but I do prefer inlays and I like the convenience of a Sustainer being controlled by the pots, so that if I want to remove it I'm not left with 2 useless toggles.

I want a Steve Harris P-bass and a Dave Murray Strat, but then a black USA 2-hum Floyded Strat and a P-bass that can be refinished is just as good to me, unless there are exclusive features on it that I want (custom backshape, etc), but even then I'd want to play one first to see if I'd want that feature or backshape.

But overall I'm not violently opposed to a sig on a headstock.
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

The last Sig guitar I owned, was the crappy Phil Collen Korean Ibanez Destroyer, and that was only because at the time, that was all I could afford. I modded the crap out of it anyway!

I personally hate 'em myself.....I don't need someone elses name on the headstock. There's never one I would even consider. I guess I don't idolize anyone that much....I don't know.

[ QUOTE ]
              And you can't buy a Gibson Les Paul without it saying Les Paul on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh and Newc...on the LP thing....
              There's a difference between most LP guitars, and the LP SIGNATURE guitar. Gibson called the guitar the Les Paul Model...and not the Les Paul signature (that didn't come around until the early 70's)

Comment

i play live with PC-1 guitas and i HATE def leppard. i think they are weak and pussified. but phil collen's guitars are exactly what i like in a guitar at this point, and the PC-1 was exactly what i was looking for in a guitar when i got my first one: the class of PRS with a recessed floyd and NO pointy headstock!!! as far as phil's sig on the head - you can barley see it. most people think it is the builders sig, or some random scribble.
                GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

I personally don't care. The name is so tiny in the grand scheme of the whole guitar. Get a lovely figured maple top, or flashy gold/chrome hardware, or beautiful inlays, and the signature just suddenly becomes deemphasized. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

That being said, I do prefer the signature on the BACK of the headstock, Shannon-style. It keeps the headstock face nice and neat and uncluttered, and gives something interesting to look at (and in my case, photograph with a crisp closeup [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] ) on the back other than just Grover/Gotoh/whatever tuner logos. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I am gonna buy a Cristian olde Wolbers 6 string next month but that is not for the name (Hell this guy isn't even playing guitar that long and i like fear factory but i still feel that dino should be their guitarist) , but the model is so damn close to what i would specify if i was able to get a custom shop jackson that for the money it would be ridiculous not to get it.

But in general i am not really into sig models though and for sure the first thing i'll do when i get the COW is to take signed truss rod cover off and replace it [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Yes Maotar, get a customized HuntinDoug engraved truss rod cover of your choice instead. It will be "your" custom. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        Yes Maotar, get a customized HuntinDoug engraved truss rod cover of your choice instead.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good tip i saw some of the ones he made, awesome [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

I'm sure I'll get a ribbing for this, [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img], but I own three signature guitars. Two jems (7VWH and a 777PMC) and a JS1000BTB. I like the neck profiles on all the guitars and the Evolution pups are amongst my favourites. I have even replaced the stock PAF Pro and Fred pups in the JS with evos.
                          Personnally speaking, the PMC ranks amongst the best guitars I have ever played. The back of the neck has been sanded down and it feels like butter to play. That and my EDS SL1 are my favourites and get played the most.
                          As far as getting the guitar signed does not bother me. I prefer for it not to be signed. However, the PMC has been signed by Vai on the body and the back of the headstock. It was purchased like this. The signature on the body is begining to fade and this is a plus point for me! I have had a couple of comments about getting that protected and "that I shouldn't play a guitar like that", but thats bullshit, I buy guitars to play and not to sit in their cases stored under my bed! I am a player (a bad one [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]), not a collector. As far as I am concerned, if YOU enjoy the way the guitar feels, plays and sounds, buy it regardless of make and regardless whether it is a signature model or not.

Comment

I buy guitars for the features they have and don't really care if they're a signature series or not. The only exception to that was when I was young and wanted a Gibson Les Paul,
                            and I wanted that because Jimmy Page played it, not because Les Paul designed it. In the case of a Rhoads, I like the shape, not because it was Randy's idea but just because it's a cool shape. If I got a King V it wuldn't be because of Robbin Crosby or Dave Mustaine, it'd be because I like the look. I'm in agreement about the PC series as well,
                            I don't care for Phil's playing one way or the other but it's a beautiful guitar. I like inlays on the fretboard myself but that wouldn't keep me from getting one if the price were right and I could afford it.
                            Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

i used to love signature guitars, but now signature guitars only interest me if they have something that other guitars don't have. Like the PC1's with the sustainer or Christian Olde Wolbers 7 string.
                              93 USA Soloist EDS
                              USA HT6 Juggernaut
                              Charvel DK24FR

Comment

Working...
                              X