Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rediscovering Vinnie Moore

[ QUOTE ]
    man I'm a one track minded SOB...I loathed ALL alternative music..

because it killed off everything I loved about rock N' roll...the angst...what rock N Roll is about ...was gone...POOF GONE..

by this sweater wearing , love and peace hippie crap...like watching that fat little girl in a bumble bee outfit dancin' around...that is NOT rock N Roll...that is NOT cool...No...its a fat girl in a bumble bee outfit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's the thing, Bill; the alternative stuff had to grow on me somewhat. Even today, if I had to pick between the alternative stuff and the worst of pop hairband metal, like Poison, Kix, et al, it would be a tough decision. I like neoclassical shred better than anything, but sometimes we have to take the lesser of many evils.
    [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
    Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      [ QUOTE ]
      man I'm a one track minded SOB...I loathed ALL alternative music..

because it killed off everything I loved about rock N' roll...the angst...what rock N Roll is about ...was gone...POOF GONE..

by this sweater wearing , love and peace hippie crap...like watching that fat little girl in a bumble bee outfit dancin' around...that is NOT rock N Roll...that is NOT cool...No...its a fat girl in a bumble bee outfit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's the thing, Bill; the alternative stuff had to grow on me somewhat. Even today, if I had to pick between the alternative stuff and the worst of pop hairband metal, like Poison, Kix, et al, it would be a tough decision. I like neoclassical shred better than anything, but sometimes we have to take the lesser of many evils.
      [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, I will listen to endless loops of Kix, Stryper, Poison, even Trixter, Firehouse and Warrant before I will sit through Blind Mellon or Alanis or any of that other crap. I tried to like Alternative, I really did. There are a couple I like...the Foo Fighters and Alice in Chains come to mind. However, Cantrell is a hell of a guitar player and I never really thought that Alice in Chains was truly alternative. I always thought that they were metal with enough grunge to survive the purge.

When I saw Metallica on the cover of Rolling Stone all pierced out with short hair...I knew it was really over.

Mike
      Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

Vinnie Moore's a hell of a player--has a little more blues in his shredding than a lot of the other '80s Shrapnel alumni. He's a perfect fit in UFO, though I wasn't all that knocked out by the "You Are Here" album.

Comment

I think You Are Here is a great album. Also, if you own Vinnie's Meltdown album you'll notice that the UFO guys pretty much took some of those songs off of Meltdown and rearranged them and added lyrics. The first time I heard the CD I was all "I know I've heard him play that before but Vinnie is not one of those repetative shredders." Turns out when he sent the guys in UFO a CD of some of his stuff they fell in love with those riffs and licks off of Meltdown.
          I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

It's coming back. I've been hearing searing guitarsolo's in advertisements and popsongs here for a couple of months now. And it's getting more and more every week. Another decade of the guitar is coming. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
            You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              It's coming back. I've been hearing searing guitarsolo's in advertisements and popsongs here for a couple of months now. And it's getting more and more every week. Another decade of the guitar is coming. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, you are correct. There are several pure 80's metal cover bands in my area at the moment. Of course, they make a farce out of it with crazy wigs and spandex...but they can play the music and people go see them. I need to go to a show and check what guitars they are playing. I have been to one, but I don't recall the equipment.

Mike
              Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

Early Vinnie Moore is killer work! I hope some guitar oriented music is making it's way back into the mainstream.
                I really like soundgarden and alice in chains but even with them the guitar work is really just "so-so" , no shredding of any kind.
                I look thru my CD collection and I don't think I own a CD that was released after 1990 [img]/images/graemlins/brow.gif[/img]
                If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

Vinnie Moore and Al Dimeola are my two favorite players, and I think Vinnie has cited Al as his favorite. I was a Yngwie fan until I heard Vinnie.

Brett

Comment

Working...
                  X