Rediscovering Vinnie Moore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rediscovering Vinnie Moore

Yesterday my crazy allergies were driving me nuts so I had to leave work early and on my way to the train station I stopped at the CD store to pick up something to listen to on the train ride home. I've always been a fan of Vinnie Moore but didnt get his live album because it's set list seemed quite lacking and depended more on his later (non-neoclassical) work. I thought, what the hell and got it anyways.

I was truly blown away from the moment I slipped it into my CD player. I've always loved this guy's playing but the last time I listened to him was last year when UFO put out new album. Since yesterday I've pretty much just been listening to Vinnie.

His playing is so damn tastfull and cool. Plus his tone is not your typical shred tone, it's very warm. Shred players tend to lack a warmth to their tone but he's got it in spades.

If you have not listened to Vinnie in a while go back and revisit his stuff.
    I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Re: Rediscovering Vinnie Moore

Vinnie is a killer player.
    I love his stuff from 80's and 90's.
    His Live CD is great and also the CD of Vicious Rumors's 1st album is killer as well.

I also have the UFO CD Vinnie played and live bootleg CDs from last year's San Francisco show with UFO,he plays great but I still prefer Schenker's playing though..

Comment

You have a UFO bootleg with Vinnie! Amazing! UFO is one of my all time favorites.
      I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

Minds Eye, monster CD... Vinnie was a smokin player.

Nota big fan of his latest stuff though...

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          You have a UFO bootleg with Vinnie! Amazing! UFO is one of my all time favorites.

[/ QUOTE ]

UFO is one of my favorites too.
          Schenker is great.
          [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

I have followed Vinnie's carreer thru the years ...he's amoung the greats.

I said this on the Vitto Bratta thread..same applies here and a lot of other threads for that matter..

It is sad that the music industries forced a lot of talanted hands into obscurity..

but shred is cool again...so some old faces and names have been popping up along with a batch of some awesome new players as well..

its about fucking time!
            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Vinnie Moore is a great player and I liked his first 2 Sharpnel releases.

The whole shredder thing was cool at the time but then when everyone and their brother put out neo-classical instrumental albums it got boring, (probably why the Seattle thing took off). After Yngwie, Vinnie Moore and Tony MacAlpine everything else was a waste imho [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
              shawnlutz.com

Comment

Tony Macalpine..... my all time hero. That dude can PLAY.

Comment

Amen to that!!

Vinnie is also a monster player. His Mind's Eye album had some really great stuff on it. Very lyrical player, like MacAlpine, who could play with great emotion while just ripping up the strings. I haven't heard anything beyond Mind's Eye though, am I missing much?
                  Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

My favorite shredders of all time are Yngwie, Vinnie Moore, and Michael Angelo, in that order. I love Vinnie's Time Odyssey album. Awesome tone, awesome playing, very tastefully done. I especially love April Sky, the combination of two Bach pieces with Vinnie's own solo thrown in.

I had the great fortune of seeing Vinnie at a seminar in Austin in 1988 (?). It was at South Austin Music. He was touring to promote Ibanez Guitars, Laney amps, and a couple of other brands. I stood maybe three feet from him as he absolutely ripped. It was an experience I'll never forget.
                    Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      I haven't heard anything beyond Mind's Eye though, am I missing much?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, you are. You need to get Time Odyssey. See my post above. One song also features Tony MacAlpine on keyboards.
                      [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

EDIT: It also contains a killer version of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" by The Beatles.

Comment

my "shrapnel" faves were the heavy hitters at the time...Vinnie , Tony and Greg Howe...they sure covered a lot of ground ..but the whole Mike Varney "alumni" was pretty killer...Kotzen , Firkins , Becker , Friedman , Tafolla , ...and yada...they were all pretty much an inspiration o me in one way or the other..

Then Nirvana gave birth to the anti - guitar hero....then Rock was neutered at the root...the guitar solo..

it went away from the mainsteam for 15 years...

15 years of generic , nuetered , painfully god aweful , GAY music..."Rock" was NOT celebrated , promoted or even wanted by the herd for almost two whole fucking decades...while we as players were all in our prime...that makes me bitter.

Fuck since 1991...I never even owned a "radio"...and still don't!

popular = shit...because people are clueless and stupid and easily led ..the lowly wigger is tetimony to that! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          my "shrapnel" faves were the heavy hitters at the time...Vinnie , Tony and Greg Howe...they sure covered a lot of ground ..but the whole Mike Varney "alumni" was pretty killer...Kotzen , Firkins , Becker , Friedman , Tafolla , ...and yada...they were all pretty much an inspiration o me in one way or the other..

Then Nirvana gave birth to the anti - guitar hero....then Rock was neutered at the root...the guitar solo..

15 years of genric , nuetered , painfully aweful , GAY music...

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to admit that I grew to like some of the early 90's alternative music; Spin Doctors, Hootie and the Blowfish, Blind Melon, Widespread Panic, etc... It was melodic and some pretty good songwriting.

However.... once the Limp Bizkits and Korns of the world took over, I pretty much decided that music had gone to crap.

I remember when disco was huge in the mid to late Seventies. I was a teenager and I honestly thought that good music would never be made again. Then came the Eighties which totally proved me wrong.

The good stuff will always cycle back around eventually.

Comment

man I'm a one track minded SOB...I loathed ALL alternative music..

because it killed off everything I loved about rock N' roll...the angst...what rock N Roll is about ...was gone...POOF GONE..

by this sweater wearing , love and peace hippie crap...like watching that fat little girl in a bumble bee outfit dancin' around...that is NOT rock N Roll...that is NOT cool...No...its a fat girl in a bumble bee outfit.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

15 years of generic , nuetered , painfully god aweful , GAY music..."Rock" was NOT celebrated , promoted or even wanted by the herd for almost two whole fucking decades...while we as players were all in our prime...that makes me bitter.

popular = shit...because people are clueless and stupid and easily led ..the lowly wigger is tetimony to that! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen brother! As I posted in response to your comment on Vito, I wish we could go back in time and take care of Curt Cobain before he ruined rock music.

As far as owning a radio, I have Sirius...and you can get some good stuff with that. Screw FM radio.

I got the Metallica "Some Kind of Monster" DVD with a gift card from Blockbuster. I am not a huge Metallica fan, but I thought it would be interesting to watch them make "St. Garbage". I particularly liked the discussion they had about NOT having Kirk play guitar solos. I was simply disgusted.

Mike
                              Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

Working...
                              X