X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Follow the Reaper... Great album!

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Dream Theater, Skölnick, Becker, Cacophony and the likes is what I call suuuuper.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's unfair to compare Alexi to some of these guys because they're all very different people.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Compare how? An opinion was given over what sort of bands/individuals that person thinks are "super". Where's the problem? Are we not allowed to prefer one band over another now?

[ QUOTE ]
    I don't think any of those guys were as advanced as Alexi (cept Becker) at a young age? Did those guys release any albums and tour the world so young?

[/ QUOTE ]

Skolnick was what, 19 when he joined Testament? He may have been younger, I'm not sure. They were at the height of their powers when he was 22 or 24, something like that.

I'm not sure how old Petrucci was when Dream Theater's first album came out, but he doesn't look particularly old now and I remember reading about this amazing band full of technically proficient youngsters called Dream Theater in the guitar magazines back in the early 90s.

Both the guys in Cacophony (Becker & Friedman) were teens when their two albums came out.

[ QUOTE ]
    Can those guys even sing and play so well at the same time as Alexi? Etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

the jury is still out on whether what Alexi does with a microphone is considered singing [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm sure those guys can do some things better than Alexi too but they should all be respected in their own ways.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nobody here is suggesting otherwise.
    Hail yesterday

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      [ QUOTE ]
      Being as I'm somewhat new to both bands, can someone explain the situation with (what I assume) the fallout with Kimberly.thanks

[/ QUOTE ]Alexi and Kimberly met when COB opened for Dimmu Borgir and Kimberly was playing keyboards for Dimmu. They began a love affair and Sinergy was their love child, though it is officially Kimberly's band at the bottom. Well the love affair ended, but they said they'd go on with the band. What actually happened, though, is that COB took off at that time and Sinergy has been on the back burner ever since.I notice in the Blabbermouth article Kimberly says they "hope" the Cd will come out this year. That's pretty much what she said last year as well, that's why, though I'd be glad to see it, I'm not holding my breath.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah.....I see. Thanks for the info.....I thought Alexi was only "playing" the guitar in Sinergy.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        Compare how? An opinion was given over what sort of bands/individuals that person thinks are "super". Where's the problem? Are we not allowed to prefer one band over another now?

[/ QUOTE ]

You can prefer whatever you want but these guys are very different, it's hard to compare them was my point.

[ QUOTE ]
        Skolnick was what, 19 when he joined Testament? He may have been younger, I'm not sure. They were at the height of their powers when he was 22 or 24, something like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Alexi released Something Wild around 16 and got his start there, who knows where he'll go but it's looking pretty promising. Can't really say much here cuz I don't know too much Testament.

[ QUOTE ]
        I'm not sure how old Petrucci was when Dream Theater's first album came out, but he doesn't look particularly old now and I remember reading about this amazing band full of technically proficient youngsters called Dream Theater in the guitar magazines back in the early 90s.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't doubt Petrucci would dance around Alexi on the guitar today, but if you compare where they were at the same age, I think Alexi wins.

[ QUOTE ]
        the jury is still out on whether what Alexi does with a microphone is considered singing

[/ QUOTE ]

It fits the style of music, might not be to your liking, but I'm sure it's hard to sing (whatever vocal style)/play that well at the same time and those are things the other guitarists can't do or I've yet to see.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

Alexi released Something Wild around 16 and got his start there, who knows where he'll go but it's looking pretty promising. Can't really say much here cuz I don't know too much Testament.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hate to burst your bubble, but he started Inearthed when he was around 16. Something wild was released when he was 18-19 [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            Hate to burst your bubble, but he started Inearthed when he was around 16. Something wild was released when he was 18-19

[/ QUOTE ]

Alexi Bio

I went and looked it up and you're right.

I'm a bit tired of seeing Alexi bashing though, he does say some stupid shit, but he makes great music and he's pretty inspiring to a lot of musicians (including me).

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              [ QUOTE ]
              Dream Theater, Skölnick, Becker, Cacophony and the likes is what I call suuuuper.

[/ QUOTE ]
              I think he puts up a pretty good fight against Petrucci.

Anyway, WTF is COB if it's not black metal? I was under the impression that black metal, most simply put, had heavy fast riffs, cookie monster vocals, and a keyboard in the background. I'm confused.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's finnish Death Metal. Yes Alexi uses raspy black metal vocals, but they really aren't consider black metal. Metal archive says they're Speed Metal with harsh vocals. Who's knows. I consider them Finnish Death Metal.

Comment

BNR Metal describes them as a "blend of progressive-laced speed/power metal with ferocious black vocals" [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
                "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
                X