Any cellphone dealers here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Any cellphone dealers here?

Yeah, I'd heard (and mentioned their existance) and was hoping to hear about that concept and what can be done.

I know it takes special proprietary software etc, and have heard of phones being ruined etc. I'd sure like to know more. I want to use a Verizon CDMA LG7000, the closest they have is their Alltel CDMA Moto V710.

Hoping the immense body of knowledge here may shed light on all that stuff.

Comment

I've done it myself with the software from the net and a data cable.

It's pretty easy and it rarely (if ever) fucks the phone.

Comment

Thanks for the info, I'm looking into it now a bit more on google.

Comment

johnny,
          i bought a motorola startac when they first came out, i paid like 479.00 for it, or something like that. i hated it, and four days later in the middle of a business headache shouting match with a customer of mine, i threw it in the ocean. my girlfriend at the time was like- your so stupid. and i'm like- yeah, no kidding.
          it felt good though, i hated the fukker. did you get your memory yet?
          Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Hehe, I love/d my Startac/s, all 8 or 10 I've had (that I have destroyed at work). They get signal where others don't, they are comfy on the ear to talk on, feel good in my hand, have great audio, and they are really durable unless you're really hard on them like me. I keep buying them and have just bought another that a connection I found will activate, or so he says. We will find out when it gets here. Hopefully he can, as that will give me time to seek a newer style phone and unlock it maybe or hope that Alltel will get something decent in the selection.

I hate having such an old dinosaur, and would like a nice new high end techno phone. But, it's hard to think about spending a 200-400 bucks on a phone that will get trashed in 6 months.

Plus, there really aren't any phones out there right now I like that much that I can have, except the LG VX7000 (have to hack it) or the Moto V710 (that I "can" have from my company) and that is a very distant runner up (I hate the cheap keypad, but love the removable chip).

No, I haven't got the memory yet, I'm sure it will be soon! Thanks again bro!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              Not sure if it's been discussed (too tired to read), but here you can get phones "unlocked"

You ram a datacable in it and run a service unblocker on it and you can then use ANY service with it.

[/ QUOTE ] technically, you can't use it with any service......they have to share the same technology ( i.e. CDMA, GSM, TDMA, iDen) and the odds of the features that you use to download ringtones, games etc working are pretty slim.

Why don't you just come on over to Verizon Wireless, Chuck?-Lou
              " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

Man, America is like 2 years behind the UK on MOBILE (Read: NOT CELL [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]) Phones, hahah

Comment

Hey Lou, It's John! haha!...

Well, Verizon and Alltel share CDMA technology at least, and the features I might lose, web access, downloading their premium stuff (ringtones and graphics) I'm not worried about losing. So unlocking a verizon phone to get thephone I want isn't out of the question.

As far as switching to Verizon, I have an old retailer plan that is VERY lucrative and Verizon cannot even come close to that at all. Otherwise, I'd port out immediately.

And yes, the US is way behind Europe in the mobile stuff. You can buy soft drinks from machines and pay your parking nmeter in Europe from your mobile phone! How cool. Let alone the MUCH cooler and higher end GMS phones that are available.

Comment

The StarTAC is probably one of the nicest sounding phones (from both ends) that I've ever used. That was on Sprint CDMA.

Right now I'm using an Audiovox SMT 6500 (SPV C500) windows Smartphone on AT&T's GSM network. I love the features. AT&T has a decent signal here, though not quite as good as Sprint.

I changed because AT&T SMS works internationally, and Sprint always had problems with Shortmail. 50 international SMS for $4.99. Not a bad deal.

As for the high-tech GSM phones available in Europe... many of them are available here through Verizon, T-Mobile or Cingular. All of the quad band GSM phones will run on ANY GSM network if you unlock it, with the exception of the tri-band phones, (US) 850/1800/1900 or (everywhere else) 900/1800/1900...
                    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Working...
                    X