Any cellphone dealers here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any cellphone dealers here?

Anyone here a cellphone dealer or work for one?

I'm sorta stuck with Alltel in this area and want a different phone than they offer. Am I truly stuck with their selection?

Seems an unlocked older phone that works on verizon will work on their systems but would love to hear more from a knowledgeable person.

Re: Any cellphone dealers here?

i worked in the cellular industry for 6 years, and sadly, many phones will only work with certain carriers.

sully
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I have an LG Color Flip phone that was for Cingular, but is unlocked. Worked with AT&T SIM cards before the merger. Probably works with others. Does yours use SIMs?
      If so, PM me...
      When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

Chuck, I work for Verizon Wireless as a CSR and technical support. Alltel uses CDMA technology. Most phones will usually only work on for the provider they are programmed for. VZW, Sprint, Alltel and cricket all use CDMA. Sometimes an unlocked phone will work between carriers that share the same technology with some defficiencies in features such as ability to download ringtones.....but, most of the time they just give you nothing but trouble.-Lou
        " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

I've had Cingular for many years, but at one time I had an Ericsson phone that was an AT&T model... it worked fine, but if I was down south a little more, the phone would roam and I'd be bouncing off an AT&T tower and had trouble making calls, I would get AT&T recordings and be put through to one of their operators. The store I bought it from said it was the same as their other model, just made for AT&T with their logo, but that it was a little bit better with some extra technology. I just stick with Cingular and Nokia phones now.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Ahh, thanks guys.

I want an VErizon based LG7000 phone, and Alltel here doesn't offer it. Comparably, they just offer the Moto V710, which I don't like that much.

I was hoping they could flash the LG to work, as I have had older Verizon phones work on Alltel, but the new stuff is quite different of course.

Comment

I worked for Cingular a few years back when everything was either CDMA or TDMA. Back then you were VERY limited on what phones would switch between carriers. So if Alltel is still using these technologies, you will have some trouble using another carriers phone. Now days with the SIM cards, most phones work with any carrier.... MOST...

While I was in the Philippines recently I noticed a Nokia flip phone that was perfect for what I wanted, but Nokia does not make a flip for the US market. So when I got back here, I looked it up on eBay and found it. Nokia 6170, it works great! And nobody else has this phone here... so I kinda like the fact that its somewhat original...

If your truly stuck with Alltel, I'd say just stick it out till they get with the times.

By the way, does anybody know who LG is? Remember in the 80's the company called Goldstar that made all those cheap clock radios and shit? Yep, thats them... I'm not a fan of LG or Motorola... JMO...

Comment

Yeah, I knew that was LG and I actually hate every LG phone, except the LG7000/8000 series. They seem nicely made and have great reviews and features.

I'm STILL using a Moto STARTAC!! Very durable and great signal and I've bought many of them for 30 bucks on ebay since I owrk in a harsh environment and destroy phones. Alltel just won't activate a non-GPS phone anymore per the FCC. Sadly, the reason I'm stuck with Alltel is that I have an old retailer plan that gives me unlimited calling, roaming, and long distance for not very much at all.

Sucks, as I hear some changes are to be made soon, and that I should hang out a bit and see, but my current startac is dying and I have to get a phone soon. Like TODAY! Aagh... I have the insurance on this startac to replace it for 50 bucks, but they will only give me an LG3200 and they are crap.

I believe that Alltel AND Verizon here are CDMA. I was really hoping to get the LG7000, but may have to fork out $310 for this Moto V710 it seems. At least it has removable memory and an MP3 player in it etc...

Comment

Chuck, while the LG VX3200 lacks features......for reliability, that thing kicks ass. LG has come a long way. Nokia used to make rubber boots if I remember correctly. The Moto Startacs are probably the best phone ever released for reliability. The new Moto V265 is nice as well...the V710 is buggy and the BT is choked out a good bit ( it is only really good for headsets and hands-free car kits ). I use a Treo 600 and love it.

The high end Samsungs are good ,but, you don't get as much bang for the buck....the Audiox.....well......everytime I think Audiovox, I picture a car stereo casette player with 2 knobs, a tone control, a balance control and a single button that controlled the FF and eject...if that tells you anything.

The LG 7000/8000 series are all digital....if you go to an analog only area.....you are screwed.....not many of those areas left.......analog will probably be obsolete in the next few years ,but, if you go up into Michigan....there is still alot of analog up there.

My top picks for currently available through Verizon ( and some other carriers have the same models ) phones regardless of all digital or trimode are:

Samsung A670
                  Moto V265
                  LG VX6100
                  LG VX3200
                  Treo 600

-Lou
                  " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

LG = Lucky Goldstar It was two different companies, Lucky and Goldstar. They merged and Lucky Goldstar is just too wierd, even for the Asian Electronics companies, thus LG.

They also own Zenith or Zenith owns them among other things.
                    Lots of home DVD/Stereo stuff is sold as both LG and Zenith in America. LG is solid stuff, nothing incredible, but their HDTV tuners are top notch.
                    When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

Yeah their HDTV tuners are good, I just hate everthing else they make... They also make the Sony HDTV tuners... LG owns Zenith and Sony contracts their HD tuners out to LG...

I always considered the Startac the biggest piece of crap... I've never seen one worth a shit... I had a customer cancel his contract with Cingular because of that phone after only a month, and he gave me the phone. I thought he just didnt know how to use it, but i was wrong... JUNK! So I decided to see if it was just that phone or what, everyone I found was crap... Maybe they work better on CDMA... Anyway, my Nokias 6xxx series on up have always been awesome.

I also have a sweet rate plan i scammed while i worked there and I actually kept the best part of it even after i switched to GSM... I can still call any cingular wireless, (or even AT&T now), customer without using any minutes, and i can still change my plan anytime without losing it.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        I also have a sweet rate plan i scammed while i worked there and I actually kept the best part of it even after i switched to GSM... I can still call any cingular wireless, (or even AT&T now), customer without using any minutes, and i can still change my plan anytime without losing it.

[/ QUOTE ]
                        I think that's standard now to call any Cingular or AT&T customer for free. Years ago when I got Cingular, I was also given the free unlimited nights and weekends... they still have to honor it today. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Free unlimited nights and weekends as well as free calling one cell to another cell within the carrier ( you usually have to be on a plan around $40.00 or more ) is usually the norm these days.-Lou

Comment

Yeah well... let's just say, i dont pay quite that much for my plan... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Not sure if it's been discussed (too tired to read), but here you can get phones "unlocked"

You ram a datacable in it and run a service unblocker on it and you can then use ANY service with it.

Comment

Working...
                              X