Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best floor exercises to build body strength?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best floor exercises to build body strength?

[ QUOTE ]
    But seriously, if you want a killer body, KILLER abs, awesome muscle tone, and strong stamina, (and everything Travis said) then try pilates.
    I'll tell ya... Keith is sure happy with the results and so am I! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    It's not easy, but it is SO worth it. And you feel good too and have lots of energy.

[/ QUOTE ]

yep, my girlie does that and yoga, and she's in amazing shape. granted, she's also an ice skater, but that's what she does.

sully
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      Well.....chicks do!! [img]/images/graemlins/eviltongue.gif[/img] if you need more reason than that, then I cant help you. [img]/images/graemlins/what.gif[/img] since you think its a silly goal, then you probably dont understand this.

It doenst hurt to have a little extra physical appearnce edge when out looking for tail.

There is nothing wrong with wanting to look good and have nice abs. [img]/images/graemlins/refuse.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bwaaahahahaha True enough I suppose. I'm married for a long time now, so I don't care so much about it these days. I try and build muscle and endurance over the winter so that when summer and x-country/mountain biking season comes along I feel strong and I ain't wheezing and hurling up my lungs halfway up the first hill.

I still think fit/strength should be the main goal, though. many people will never have a 6pak, they won't be able to drop enough fat for genetic reasons without risking their health.

Comment

running is good too. wait until the store is just about to close for when you go to buy beer, and then run there as fast as possible. then on the way home, jog while carrying 2-3 cases of beer for the weight lifting end of things. then repeat the next day. i've got other brilliant regimens and multimillion dollar ideas on weight loss if you want in on them-lol (seriously, i have a solution that guarantees weight loss) it would work if i could find a financial backer as sick as i am.
        Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          I try and build muscle and endurance over the winter so that when summer and x-country/mountain biking season comes along I feel strong and I ain't wheezing and hurling up my lungs halfway up the first hill.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just switched to DH when that happened. lol And the added winters beer bulk really gets you flying also. Hardly any pedaling necessary.
          We must!
          We must!
          We must increase the bust!
          The bigger the better!
          The tighter the sweater!
          The boys are counting on us!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            [ QUOTE ]

Not to hijack your thread, but I'm actually trying to lose body fat rather than build a ton of muscle. I've actually got quite a bit from working out over the years, but I need to drop the fat more than anything. Think Pilates is good for that too?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. So is jump roping. Keep yourself well hydrated and eat a diet rich in vegetables and fruits. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Em!

Hey Tommy, the running sounds good, but what happens when I go home and wanna drink that beer? Damn thing's gonna blow right up. Guess that's the point eh, lay off the carbs?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              Just a note on situps and crunches. If you do situps you'll develop some extremely strong large stomach muscles. That said they will also not end up being the 6 pack that most people look for. If your looking for a 6 pack, toned, flat stomach do crunches.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually that's not really true. If you want to build thick block like abs, then you need to do some heavy core training with a butt load of weights. Neither sit-ups nor crunches are going to do that. Sit-ups actually target your hip flexors as a prime mover and the abs as a stabilizer. That's why people advocate crunches for ab work. Your genetic profile will determine your results as will training, diet, rest, and other such factors. If you want to see a 6 pack, then you need to drop the body fat. You could do no ab training and still see a 6 pack if you're lean enough.

Comment

Well, its good to stay away from the "bad" carbs. That is what targets the mid section. If you wnat to trim up the stomach, buns, and thighs, its a very good idea to cut out bad carbs. I have dont this and its made a difference. I dont eat any white rice, no white bread, use white sugar sparingly. YOu need to stay away from refined stuff like that. I eat wheat breads, brown rice, and keep the sugars to a minimum. I eat lots of fruits and veggies. eat good cereals, and NO junk foods. It probably helps alot that I dont drink any beer at all. If I do have a drink, its a glass or two of red wine. But I stay away from alcohol in general cuz it makes me eat bad foods in large quantities.
                "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

i didn't think about when you got home IRFSAN, woops-lol

i am currently looking for a large building with monster square footage. i am going to make a bunch of ,let's call them individual suites with iron bars-lol
                  i will make the patients sign a waiver before they start their weight loss program with me, it will say that tommy is going to treat me like sh1t for 30,60 or 90 days. then i put the patients in their "suites", i will give them all the comforts of home like cable t.v., a decent bed and couch, even excercise equipment if they want it. but i'm not going to feed them. i;m going to call it "NUTRA-JAIL"
                  i'll have jenny craig and nutrasystem running like rats in no time. i can guarantee the weight loss. a shake for breakfast, a shake for lunch, and half a cracker for dinner.
                  it's failsafe. and for the really motivated you can have a loudspeaker mounted on the ceiling in your cell, and i will be there to greet you every morning around 5 a.m. with a demoralizing rant at the customer. it will be a tape of course as i will be in a deep coma like sleep somewhere else. how can i lose? i guarantee the weight loss. plain and simple. you either want my system or not. it will work though. anybody here agree that has alot of bread$$$$?????
                  Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Doggy style. Scissors. And, to a lesser extent, missionary. Cowboy's not so great - it works better on the woman than man.

Technically, though, these exercises are better suited to soft surfaces than on the floor. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      Scissors

[/ QUOTE ]

what the hell is that [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

PUSH UPS PUSH UPS and more PUSH UPS...

I held the record for most Push up in a minute...which is more than two per second...when I went thru the Police Academy...

I also held the record for getting the most "demerits" in the Police Academy...which is punishable ...by push ups...LOTS of 'em.. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I still do my push up...but I'm not breaking any land speed records anymore..but it the best thing in the world to maintain Upper body strength....sit ups are for girls...I'm just kidding.. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Scissors... well... it's not for the flexibly-challenged.
                          Um... how can I put this in a classy way? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Imagine you both are scissors, the legs representing the scissor blades. If you were to put two scissors together and connect between the blades, how would you do that?
                          Yeah... that's how. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                          For an added work-out bonus, hold hands while playing scissors so that you have to use each other for balance.

Em

Comment

Seems like pilates are a popular thing here. Seems to go well with my schedule since it's only 20 minutes three times a week, perfect. I'll see if I can find some "free" instructional videos on the net.

Scissors are not an option... I have no significant other at this time. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] But sex at least three times a week is supposed to make people look 10 years younger! If that were the case, I'd look like a healthy 11 year old! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              i didn't think about when you got home IRFSAN, woops-lol

i am currently looking for a large building with monster square footage. i am going to make a bunch of ,let's call them individual suites with iron bars-lol
                              i will make the patients sign a waiver before they start their weight loss program with me, it will say that tommy is going to treat me like sh1t for 30,60 or 90 days. then i put the patients in their "suites", i will give them all the comforts of home like cable t.v., a decent bed and couch, even excercise equipment if they want it. but i'm not going to feed them. i;m going to call it "NUTRA-JAIL"
                              i'll have jenny craig and nutrasystem running like rats in no time. i can guarantee the weight loss. a shake for breakfast, a shake for lunch, and half a cracker for dinner.
                              it's failsafe. and for the really motivated you can have a loudspeaker mounted on the ceiling in your cell, and i will be there to greet you every morning around 5 a.m. with a demoralizing rant at the customer. it will be a tape of course as i will be in a deep coma like sleep somewhere else. how can i lose? i guarantee the weight loss. plain and simple. you either want my system or not. it will work though. anybody here agree that has alot of bread$$$$?????

[/ QUOTE ]

You forgot the electrified floor grates and countless hours of being subjected to working out to boombox demos with no bass.

Comment

I have an idea...I'll do the push ups...and I'll have my wife do the scissors...underneath me..on her back....or on her stomach...

I think I'll start with her on her back then flip her over....Yeah...that's the ticket!!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                                "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                                Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
                                X