Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best floor exercises to build body strength?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best floor exercises to build body strength?

I don't have time to spend in the gym anymore. Are there quick, effective exercises I can do on the floor while taking study breaks? Maybe a powerful half-hour routine per day to build my strength and muscle tone back to where I had it when I was still working out?

Minimal resources important. I don't have access to weights and stuff, so I have to rely on gravity and muscle resistance. Thanks!

EDIT: I also need to find inspiration/motivation. Nothing is currently driving me to actually DO this stuff, even though I always picture myself in my mind doing the exercises to get superfit again. Arrgh.

Re: Best floor exercises to build body strength?

Sit ups and Push ups work quite well. Works the stomach muscles and the muscles within your arms and shoulders.
    93 USA Soloist EDS
    USA HT6 Juggernaut
    Charvel DK24FR

Comment

situps or crunches

dips for your triceps. Remember the tris make up 2/3 of the mass of your arms. use a chair or two, or the edge of the bed. As your strength improves, you can raise your feet by putting them up on a box, then a chair, then.....something higher than a chair, to move your centre of gravity back.

pushups. if standard is too easy for you, put your feet up on something. Not hardcore enough? Do handstand pushups. Good for your whole shoulder too.

lunges. if you need more resistance, fill up a couple of sports bottles and hold them in your hands to increase your resistance.

got stairs at your house? Grab the handrail & do some calf raises.

use a couple of books or the sports bottles & hit your shoulders from 3 different angles.
      Hail yesterday

Comment

PILATES.

That will whip your tone into shape mighty fast and build muscle, I've been doing it for years. All floor, don't need weights as you use your own body. I would be happy to send you my pilates video if you want- it has a hot chick on it too. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Em

Comment

If you can get past the stigma of Pilates being for women, then I would second that suggestion. It strengthens your core very well, keeps you limber and flexible as well. It would actually be better at keeping your whole body balanced than some of the other limited exercises that you can do at home. Pushups, situps and squats (1 legged with body weight) are great, but unfortunately they don't hit every muscle in the body. If done long enough, those few exercises can throw your body off balance as some muscles will be left under-developed.

Comment

Pilates only for women? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
            I have never heard that! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

But seriously, if you want a killer body, KILLER abs, awesome muscle tone, and strong stamina, (and everything Travis said) then try pilates.
            I'll tell ya... Keith is sure happy with the results and so am I! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
            It's not easy, but it is SO worth it. And you feel good too and have lots of energy.

P.S. Travis is also right about being off-balance when you only focus on a few muscle groups, btw. That happened to Keith being a soccer player, he actually ended up having knee problems because his muscles in his calves and thighs were over-developed. He's fine now though. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
            Also... pilates isn't too cardio intensive, at least, for my tastes. I have to mix it with biking & jump roping (that's just what I do), but you could run or swim or even go walking if you wanted. Good luck!

Comment

I need to try that Pilates stuff. I powerlift and I have really been destroying myself lately. I almost never feel good which is really stupid. Actually, I feel pretty aweful. Where can I get info on this Pilates workout?

Comment

Hey, what Em said!!! Pilates are the SHIOT!!! I do pilates and they are terrific. They work wonders. I highely recommend Pilates to anyone. They will kick your ass man!! and Pilates are not just for girls....guys do them too. I have had several women tell me I have a great ass since I have been doing the pilates. If that isnt incentive enough for you to do them, I dont know what is!!!!

I also recommend a body ball as a very cheap and effective form of excercise. $15 can get you going. They are simple, easy, and dont take up much room. but the pilates are very powerful.

I use a mix of pilates, the body ball, and schwin airdyne for cardio(but you can easily substitute this with walking etc..) all that is making me in to one sexay biotch!!!
                [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

jgcable.....try this www.winsorpilates.com

there are many videos out there on the market. I use winsor. How bout you Em? what do you recommend?
                "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Em, I managed a Gold's Gym for a couple of years before giong back to school. Believe me, a lot of guys think that Pilates is only for women. The guys who did check it out were really checking out the instructor.

Check out some of the DVDs at your local store, or online. My wife got a Pilates and a Yoga DVD and uses those (when the dogs aren't sticking their noses in her butt during when in compromising positions [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]).

John, the stretching and core work that you get from Yoga and Pilates should really help you out in your powerlifting.

Comment

Just a note on situps and crunches. If you do situps you'll develop some extremely strong large stomach muscles. That said they will also not end up being the 6 pack that most people look for. If your looking for a 6 pack, toned, flat stomach do crunches.
                    We must!
                    We must!
                    We must increase the bust!
                    The bigger the better!
                    The tighter the sweater!
                    The boys are counting on us!

Comment

Actually if you are looking for a six pack then drop your body fat. Want perfect abs? You were born with them. Its body fat percentage that determines whether you can see them or not. Kind of a silly goal though. Eat lots and build strength I say. Who cares whether you can see your abs or not.
                      Start with a beginners pilates, its not easy at all and you can hurt yourself.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        Actually if you are looking for a six pack then drop your body fat. Want perfect abs? You were born with them. Its body fat percentage that determines whether you can see them or not. Kind of a silly goal though. Eat lots and build strength I say. Who cares whether you can see your abs or not.
                        Start with a beginners pilates, its not easy at all and you can hurt yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to hijack your thread, but I'm actually trying to lose body fat rather than build a ton of muscle. I've actually got quite a bit from working out over the years, but I need to drop the fat more than anything. Think Pilates is good for that too?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          Who cares whether you can see your abs or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well.....chicks do!! [img]/images/graemlins/eviltongue.gif[/img] if you need more reason than that, then I cant help you. [img]/images/graemlins/what.gif[/img] since you think its a silly goal, then you probably dont understand this.

I am going for 6 pak abs. I want to look lean and "cut". I know chicks love that. It doenst hurt to have a little extra physical appearnce edge when out looking for tail.

There is nothing wrong with wanting to look good and have nice abs. [img]/images/graemlins/refuse.gif[/img]
                          "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Pull-ups can work wonders (edit - palms out!). If you can lift your own body weight cleanly 15-20 times x a number of sets (say 4-5), I think that you will find that you are plenty strong. Pushups are a must, sit ups and squats/deep knee bends dont hurt.
                            "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

Not to hijack your thread, but I'm actually trying to lose body fat rather than build a ton of muscle. I've actually got quite a bit from working out over the years, but I need to drop the fat more than anything. Think Pilates is good for that too?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. So is jump roping. Keep yourself well hydrated and eat a diet rich in vegetables and fruits. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X