what did 9-11 do to you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what did 9-11 do to you?

i know it's not september 11th, but i just saw a show on the tube and i could not help but reflect. i know i am a kookbat and known for ridiculous posts but not this one.
    at the time, i was making big bucks, buying toys, and lots of drugs. i got in a fight with the wife, and took off to the office at around 4a.m.!!! i'm in southern cal, so itthe time difference comes into play. a couple of hours later, the phones start ringing, i'm thinking the market is exploding and drooling like a buzzard. the calls are all friends of mine telling me to get the hell out of the office because "our home is burning". then i get a teary filled call from the wife saying sorry and to please come home. i can't believe what people are telling me. "the towers are gone?" i keep repeating to myself. then i think of all my family and friends in danger. they are all cops, fireman, and brokers. i have 3 phones on my desk and my cell phone. i speed dial everyone in new york, but can't get through. i got 2 calls through in 3 days. tons of uncertainty and fear. and i am on a beach across the world and can do nothing to help. i look to my mother for faith cuz she's a good catholic and always full of hope. she calls me finally and i say to her"mom, i think we're gonna get hit hard on this one", then hoping for encouraging words i hear from her, "i think you're right". not the typical response from my mom. as the days went by, i learn that three friends die, two of them close childhood ones.
    my brother 'n law was not heard from for 17 hours, he is a cop who was assisting. i wanted to jump in my truck and blast back to new york. my brothers and friends urged me not to come, "you don't want to be here, stay where you are and be happy you're there". very empty feelings going on at the time. being happy was an impossibility. i can write forever about this, but i'll keep it short. where would we be without music and sports to help us through life? the way the yankees came back through the whole playoffs gave the city something to cheer about, and not everybody hated them so much all of a sudden. things are back to normal now-lol after that third win in a row at the stadium, i had pulled over on the way to work actually in tears, a woman came up to the car and asked if i was alright, i held up the sports section and showed her the "miracle yanks" headline with a thumbs up and she said she wanted them to win too. the drugs helped numb some of that incredible pain, and when i think about it now, i am greatful to feel all of the pain of that day. it's more real. and clear.
    Not helping the situation since 1965!

Re: what did 9-11 do to you?

I'm in Fla. now, so it was the same for me. I was worried about my sister and some of my friends, I couldn't get ahold of anyone. I sat in my store with the TV on watch with horror, I was thinking to myself about the school trips to the city and going in the towers, seeing if we could throw a penny off the top. It was just not real to me. It was so strange, every day I would get put on the TV and get ready for work. That day I just put on some tunes. Got in my car same thing, music. About half way to work I went to put on Stern, and they saying to go home pull your kids out of school etc. I got to work as quick as I could so I could see it with my own eyes. Tragic just tragic. Then it really hit me the panic and fear, I had just sunk all my money into my internet site, overhead, inventory,staff etc. It was just a nightmare. It took a couple of days for me to get ahold of my old band mates, lucky everyone was ok.
    www.kiddhavok.com
    www.youtube.com/kiddhavokband

Comment

I lost two very good friends that day,still too hard to talk about!!Chucksplatter

Comment

sorry man, i didn't know that. pretty helpless watching it on the tube.
        Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

I lost some friends too, one was a firefighter. I also remeber going to the towers on field trips
          Don't forget the corn. It's nutritious, delicious, and ribbed for her pleasure.

Comment

I remember that day. I was in school and i walked into 4th period and saw everyone around the TV...it really didn't hit me until i saw the second plane hit. at first i thought it was just a replay of the first one (which i thought had to be an accident). I think for my generation, it will be almost how JFK dieing was to some...you know exactly where you were when you heard it and will never forget that feeling. Thank god i didn't loose anyone i know, but I'm proud to say that since all of my family lives there, one of my family was brave enough to respond and help. I did get to visit where they used to stand a year ago, and it's amazing. The air there is still very thick from the rubble and what not. God bless this nation.

Comment

i'm with john, except i don't think anyone i knew were assisting... for me it was 9:30, third period i think, in history class, it was a shocker alright...

then later that year, for the Macy's Day Parade, my old school, Turpin high school, went up to NYC. seeing the sunken pit, of where the towers used to be...man...

all i can say is, i now have proof justin guarini lip syncs, lol. (sorry, i thoiught some comedy might lift some stuff...)

Comment

I was at work when it all started going down, up in the Albany area. That's only a 3 hour drive to Manhattan, so it felt very close and very real.

At that location, our only access to the news was via the web, so I was refreshing MSNBC umpteen times. It was crashing most times - too many folks doing the same at once - but coming through a little.

When the first tower came down, all I could think about was all the people. And the magnitude. If you had never been in the WTC, it's probably hard to imagine and relate to personally. But those buildings were absolutely HUGE, and housed so many people. It's a miracle more weren't killed. And that miracle has several names: the NYPD, NYFD, and many others.

After the second tower went down, the lightbulbs went on with the decisionmakers. There were other planes in the air, and our buildings would be potential targets. We were evacuated. Most employers shut down quickly thereafter, including my wife's. We went home in shock and horror, and watched the news the rest of the day. My wife was pregnant at the time, and we had many thoughts about what kind of world we were introducing this child into.

I work with a lot of financial-type folks in the WTC area so, naturally, I was concerned about professional collegues. Luckily I personally didn't know anyone who died. But, as the days went on and communication was made, I heard many stories of those who made it out of the area "just in time".

I vividly remember that it was an absolutely gorgeous early fall day. Warm, crisp, sunny, bright, breezy. Perfect. Many people never got to enjoy another beautiful day like it.

The memories of that day are very vivid to me. Like it happened last week. Not 3 years ago. You're right, Tommy. We should be grateful for that pain. It should remind us. We should never forget. And it should motivate us.

Comment

I didn't lose anyone I knew either and I feel for those of you that did.

I was on my way to work, but I carpooled that day so we were just bull shitting on the way in so we didn't hear it. When I got to work, I heard that the first tower was hit, but I had no details. I called my wife and told her to turn on CNN to see what was going on. My 2 and 4 year old were watching TV at the time. She turned the channel and a minute later saw the second plane go in to the second tower live. Once we I knew it was terrorism. All I could do is try to get home ASAP. didn't know what else to do. I'm in CT and at the time worked about 45 min from the city. From the beach in southport, you could see the smoke way of into the distance for days.

Sorry to hear about your losses.
                  "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

I was sleeping but then my roommate who's from NY woke me up, around 8:45 I think... we were just watching in shock. I was at the WTC just a few weeks before it happened, it was too hard to believe it all. I have a few friends that work in the area, luckily they weren't harmed, took a few days to get through to them though.

Comment

Dude ....Man I know ... Being what I was and where I was for as long as I was ....turned me into a very bitter person towards humans in general ...and this is from my heart.

Having my own life nearly snuffed several times and good freinds with very young children gone ..

9-11 just confirmed what I have beleived in a very long time ...There is no God and man is a malicious and evil lot .......most humans to me are no more than pollution that serve no purpose other than making this world violently ill.

I didn come out of this unharmed but I'm alive and much wiser now and not for my own good.

This is why I'm living thru chemistry ....I want to kill the pain ....and all of it isn't physical.

Bill [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
                      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I got stuck in L.A. for 1 week because of cancelation fo my flight.
                        I kept going to the airport everyday with very heavy security checks.
                        I kept returning my rental car and getting back one every morning I find my flight was cancelled.
                        It sucked and I was so scared to take a flight. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
                        NEVER AGAIN! Those bastards are unforgiven!

Comment

To be honest, i didn't really feel effected by it.

Comment

"To be honest, i didn't really feel effected by it."

Mike , when you saw all that carnage unfolding before you on TV ....you felt "nothing" ....I can't buy that.
                            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I was late for work as usual [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img], being a father to a beautiful daughter for 6 months and enjoying life [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img], I was in my car listening to Howard Stern. The first plane already hit I thought it was some Stern stunt by the way he was carrying on. Then reality slowly crept in to my gut [img]/images/graemlins/what.gif[/img]. When I arrived at work I called my wife told her to put on the news explained what I knew then watched FOX news. Then the Second tower then the Pentagon. That is when I realized one of my close friends works for (CANT SAY) and the realization really hits hard [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]. Luckily he was elsewhere. I have always been a little cautious since I was mugged at gunpoint at age 12 in my Church functions hall but now anybody with a hint of anti USA redirect or people who speak a different language or even those that look questionable get paid attention to. Not how I want to be just the way it has to be. I can't really explain the thoughts. I can only say alot of **** flashed thru my mind. Kind of reality check. EJ

I live about 45 min away in Connecticut, seeing war ships and f-16 fighters in this situation is a little uneasy.

My heart goes out to anyone that lost someone and my prayers are with you.

Comment

Working...
                              X