Saw Prince last night in Jacksonville, FL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Saw Prince last night in Jacksonville, FL

i saw prince play an unannouced acoustic show at the china club in chicago back in 1992, he's a motherfucker on just about any instrument. i also met him when i lived in hollywood... i couldn't say a word, i was so shocked.

that solo in let's go crazy has always oozed coolness to me; it was an influential part of my musical development.

odd about knoxville, my soon to be inlaws live there.

sully
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by ShredFred:
      I saw Prince on TV recently playing at the rock n roll hall of fame induction. I was shocked at how well he played. The man is a very good guitar player and was ripping the solos. That being said, I wouldn't make any Yngwie comparisons here.
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">was that when he was playing with what's left of the Traveling Wilburies? (Tom Petty, Bob Dylan, George HArrison's son, and a bunch of other dudes) I think they played "while my guitar gently weeps" and prince just soloed over almost hte entire song. It was pretty cool.

Comment

Originally posted by charvel750:
        Coke was $3
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Damn...I guess it really is cheaper in Florida [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
        shawnlutz.com

Comment

OK OK OK ...let me be honest here ...I always hated Prince or the artist formerly known as...

he was way to Fem and purple to take seriously in my circles ...I did get to see him play guitar ...at that time I didn't even think he played guitar and took me by surprise.....I saw a video of him before most of you guys were born ..on Don Kirshner's Rock Concert back in '79...

So since I'm not a fan of Prince , own none of his music and can't make a fair judgement on his playing ....I could only take your word for it ..

and I know quite a few of you have good knowledge when it comes to guitar ...and if you say he's good then ...then I guess he's good ..

I wish in all those years he would of made it more "known" he was a gifted guitarist than a showman and songwriter / weirdo...then maybe at that time he would of gotten a lot more respect in the guitar community ...he did have some very expensive axes made for him ....but he was rich , never thought of anything else otherwise..

I still say he can't play like Uli ...but who can???!!!

I even told my wife of this topic and her immediate response to it was exactly this and I quote ...."Prince , he's a fag???!!!! [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] " then I replied" "yeah I know , that's what I thought"... [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] !!!!

[ May 01, 2004, 03:26 PM: Message edited by: horns666 ]
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by markpb:
            </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by jgcable:
            I know that many people wanted to see Jake, George and Warren
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The G3 tour seems reserved for virtuoso shredder types. George maybe, the other two don't fit that description. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Jake is a much, much better guitar player than George and Warren! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam:
              Jake is a much, much better guitar player than George and Warren! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Well I wasn't really commenting on what I think of their abilities or how they compare. I was just talking about the G3 past history as to what kind of player they bring on board. Really none of those three fit, I just figured George was the closest match.

I guess I would say I think Jake is a better overall musician, and George is a better soloist. I thought Georges rythym playing just sucked (unimaginative, repetetive) and his tone was not always that good. Jake wrote better riffs too. But George was so good at soloing. (Kiss of Death, In My Dreams, etc.)

Warren just does nothing for me, never has. Of all the 80's hairmeedlers (Bratta, Bettencourt, Gilbert, Lynch, Cody, Beach, Vandenberg etc. ) I thought Warren just did not really belong in the same class. I thought Gilbert was in a class of his own, and Bettencourt and Lynch were my next favorite.

Comment

Working...
              X