Live albums and Audience Participation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Live albums and Audience Participation

I agree with Ron, I hate audience participation....when I buy a ticket I don't want to hear the crackhead next to me singing! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

If a band wants audience participation, pull a guitarist up on stage and hand him a guitar!!!

Comment

Ummm, no, that's a bad idea, because the one that got picked would be some loser-ass hack who only thinks he knows the song, while all the other guitarists in the audience are booing the poor fuck. Even if the guy was as good as the band's guitarist, the other guitarists in the crowd would say "yeah, but I coulda done better".

Whereas if everyone's singing as a group (yeah, everyone sounds like shit but you [img]graemlins/brow.gif[/img] ) all you have to worry about is whether or not you've been singing that one line correctly all this time [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

And I'm sure the singer thinks to himself - "man, these guys SUUUUUUUUCK!"

Let's put it this way: I was at one show - Motley Crue - (Theater of Pain or Girls - can't recall) at the University Of New Orleans Lakefront Arena where Vince asked everyone to make as much noise as they could, and whichever venue on the tour was the loudest would end up on their upcoming live album. Everyone shouted and whistled as loud as they could - scared the shit out of Mick Mars, that's for sure [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Not three songs earlier, he called for everyone to sing along to the outro to "Shout At The Devil". Ya know what he got? A few "Shout"s and a shitload of whoops and whisltes and hollers [img]graemlins/brow.gif[/img]

Ozzy was HIGHLY disappointed in the crowd's resonse when he came through on the Ultimate Sin tour - I was on the floor in front of Bob Daisley (dammit, I wanted in front of Jake [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ) and had a damn clear view of Ozzy the whole time. He's pumping up the crowd (or trying to) like he's done since 1980 and he's got this look on his face of "what a bunch of fucking losers - is the mic even on!?" - then there was the stupid b!tch on her boyfriend's shoulders throwing ice at Jake during his solo spot. She hit a string on his blue Charvel right at the end of it and he was about to launch it into her head (I damn sure would have).
        Several fans finally shoved her boyfriend to the floor, and she fell like the Hindendburg, then Security dragged them both out and the show went on.

Anyhoo, when a living fucking Metal Hero shoves a mic in the crowd and says "sing", fucking sing.

Newc
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I agree, if you're asked - sing. Oh, they didn't ask you? - Shut the fuck up and let others enjoy the show. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Newc I think you're way to angry about this. Anyway I've given you the answer already. You're looking in the wrong place. Go check out a small hardcore show in your area. Part of the idealogy is that there's no separation between the audience and the band, so not only is crowd participation really awesome but it's really easy to meet the guys in the band before and after the shows as well.

Comment

I don't care for hardcore, or any of the other stuff similar to punk (i.e. moshing, slamming, etc etc), so going to that type of show is out of the question.

My feeling is that if you're a fan, you'll sing when asked. I guess a lot of people were just looking for a place to score weed and pussy and didn't care what band was on stage [img]graemlins/eyes.gif[/img]

Newc
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

Well you also gotta realize that not every person at the show is gonna be a hardcore fan of the bands playing-when I saw Opeth it was more of as a casual fan, and there is also the guy who goes just to check out new bands because he loves the scene.

Comment

Well, that's fine for smaller undergraound acts - I'm talking about household names back in 1986 like Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Motley Crue, Ozzy, AC/DC, etc etc, where 98% of the audience knew the words to the songs (Heading out To the Highway, Shout At The Devil, Crazy Train, etc).
                  Rob Halford was doing an audience participation thing for the Defenders tour and he's going "Whoah whoah whoa yeah!" and tells the crowd to repeat it, and he's going in sections (left, floor, and right). The floor and right were all into it but the left side was mostly whistles and yays [img]graemlins/brow.gif[/img]

I realize that if the entire crowd is singing along and it makes it to a live album, you're not going to get "discovered" as a kickass singer by some record exec listening to the tracks, but damn at least let the band know you're into them by following along [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                  I for one would feel completely disturbed if I was in a platinum selling act and the audience was not into it, or worse, not paying attention to what's coming from the stage.

Newc

Comment

This guy, the singer from Bleeding Through...notice how close I was to take the photo...small shows rule.

Comment

Oh, cool. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] I've heard of that band. I've probably heard some of their stuff on the local college metal radio station but never really paid much attention.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

www.trustkill.com ...Check the media section for some songs and a video. Then tell all your friends how great they are-help me spread the word!!

Comment

you know i love you willie, but i fuckin hated what i heard heh

btw is it considered uncool to punch a crowd surfer who just kicked you in the back of your head with his boot, not only inflicting some discomfort and/or blood loss, but also ruining your mood and distracting you from taking in the song being performed?

Comment

I just listened to Love Lost In A Hale Of Gunfire. Pretty cool. I don't listen to much hardcore, especially newer stuff, just the old-school stuff from long ago like COC, Minor Threat, Agnostic Front, Uniform Choice, Gorilla Biscuits, etc. I've gotta dig out an old tape I had in the '80s called New York Hardcore... that had a bunch of really cool stuff on it.
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Nah Jerry, I hate crowdsurfers...at Warped Tour this girl fell on my back while I was trying to watch Andrew WK....she fell right on my back cuz the guy couldn't grab her fast and my chest got slammed real hard against the barrier...I had a bruise for 3 weeks! Hey Toejam you outta check out the video they have on the site, called On Wings of Lead...all of the songs on the Trustkill site they played live, and all were awesome!! COC rules by the way.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc:
                                Well, that's fine for smaller undergraound acts - I'm talking about household names back in 1986 like Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Motley Crue, Ozzy, AC/DC, etc etc, where 98% of the audience knew the words to the songs (Heading out To the Highway, Shout At The Devil, Crazy Train, etc).
                                Rob Halford was doing an audience participation thing for the Defenders tour and he's going "Whoah whoah whoa yeah!" and tells the crowd to repeat it, and he's going in sections (left, floor, and right). The floor and right were all into it but the left side was mostly whistles and yays [img]graemlins/brow.gif[/img]

I realize that if the entire crowd is singing along and it makes it to a live album, you're not going to get "discovered" as a kickass singer by some record exec listening to the tracks, but damn at least let the band know you're into them by following along [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                                I for one would feel completely disturbed if I was in a platinum selling act and the audience was not into it, or worse, not paying attention to what's coming from the stage.

Newc
                                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">it's because the audience audio is enhanced in the studio! it either didn't make it to tape, or it was recorded live in the studio!!! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                                Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                                Sully Guitars on Facebook
                                Sully Guitars on Google+
                                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Working...
                                X