Union rant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Union rant

I noticed some guys standing outside the plumbing and pipe fitters union hall behind my office (for some reason I always thought it was an electrical union) and stopped to ask them about the no foreign car thing. One of the three guys said he would be glad to explain it, if I just stepped out of my car. I figured he either had something inside he wanted me to see, or he wanted to fight. So, I stepped out of the car. He then told me that since the front corner of my car was on Union property, the Union had the right to seize my car and all of the possessions, both on my person and in the car.

What a bunch of freaks. No offense to those of you here in a Union, but if clowns like the ones I encounter run you local halls, then you are being ripped off.

Comment

You need one of those license plates that say, "You touch-a my car, I break-a you face!"
      Occupy JCF

Comment

I too busy working for my labor union, and playing with my band mates to notice what you and do not do with your admin status.

If I followed everything you did, I'd be a stalker or a troll, but since I don't follow what you do, I need an education?

This conversation has gone no where, and maybe you've looked at my points, maybe not. It matters not to me, when it's all said and done, you're the one doing some other persons job, not me.

Comment

Originally posted by Trypp Powell:
          He then told me that since the front corner of my car was on Union property, the Union had the right to seize my car and all of the possessions, both on my person and in the car.
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You should have then told him that since your car was in United States that he can't do that. The 4th amendment comes to mind.
          http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

Originally posted by A.Pulverizer:
            By definition, you are a Scab....
            b (1) : a worker who refuses to join a labor union ([/QB]
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">If that is your definition of a scab, I am very proud to be a scab. And so are 3/4s of the Examiners I work with.

I work for the U.S. Securities & Exchange Commission as an Examiner (non-management). When I came aboard in 1999 (prior to the arrival of the NTEU) the SEC was having a terrible time retaining Examiners, Accountants and Attorneys because of pay that was lower than the industry and other financial regulators' standards. Management was trying to get Congress' authorization to get additional funding for "pay parity" so that the SEC could pay higher salaries to Examiners, Accountants and Attorneys.

Management succeeded in getting Congress to authorize the additional funds. However, before the pay parity could be implemented, union representation (the NTEU) was voted in by the SEC's non-managerial employees (mainly made up of secretary's and support staff). Once the union got control of all negotiations, they refused to allow the SEC to give pay raises to only Examiners, Accountants and Attorneys. They demanded that all SEC employees get a raise. Using typical federal union extortion, they got their way. So the increase in funding had to be spread over the entire agency. Because of this, the pay parity that was for the sole purpose of retaining professionals was watered down. And people are still leaving.

Now the union has filed a grievance against management saying that isn't doing enough to retain these professionals. [img]graemlins/bs.gif[/img]

Does anyone really believe that federal employees really need union representation? We get 4-6 weeks vacation, 13 sick days, 10 federal holidays, a defined benefit pension plan AND dollar for dollar matching in our 401k up to 5 %, medical, dental, etc. But most importantly, it takes an act of Congress to get someone fired. Union representation? Puh-lease.

Comment

The federal government isn't the real world.
              Talk about some worthless motherfuckers that don't do shit to earn their $$$. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
              yeah, I know.
              Gimme mine and screw everyone else.

Comment

This is cracking em up

First off Unions Suck they really do. Union Workers are good people though and really get a bad rap.

Second off Unions rule. They are not outdated they are highly corrupt but so are most companies. Many employers will rape thier workers if not for unions.

Really there is no winning with this none.... Too much corruption on both sides.

What irritates me about unions is the destruction of non union property and violence that is perpatrated amongst the non union scabs...

I know a big non union plumber ,he was out to dinner and lo and behold some higher ups who knew his name but not him were literally at the table next to him. He got to sit and listen to them discuss how they were going to Bury him and a few other guys. Of course dinner came out and they had to say grace because that would be a sin not to pray [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Too much corruption on every end to really make a real arguement for one side or the other.
                I keep the bible in a pool of blood
                So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

Originally posted by Deneb:
                  I too busy working for my labor union, and playing with my band mates to notice what you and do not do with your admin status.

If I followed everything you did, I'd be a stalker or a troll, but since I don't follow what you do, I need an education?

This conversation has gone no where, and maybe you've looked at my points, maybe not. It matters not to me, when it's all said and done, you're the one doing some other persons job, not me.
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Well, an admin's name says "JCF Admin" right under his name, so all you'd have to do is notice that. No stalking required.

Hey, about that band - y'all in the Musician's Union? No? Then you're scab musicians, Dendb and AP. Join the union if you can, boys! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Here's a question: When your toilet stops up or something electrical goes wrong (not counting you AP) do you make sure the plumber or electrician you call are union? I bet you don't, because the vast majority of residential service contractors are NON-union. The reason? Consumers won't pay union rates for those services because they're more than twice as much money. However, the work these non-union contractors do is inspected and passes inspection by municipal inspectors every day. Same inspection process as a union job has to undergo.

It's funny how AP scoffs at a federal worker as one who doesn't work, because that's the image most have of union workers too. Take out that trash? "Is no me yob!" I'm sure you don't like that depiction, but what's the difference?

If you have a union job, fine, but for most people those jobs aren't available. To say they should starve just so you can maintain the purity of a union workforce is ridiculous. But if that's what you want, make sure you only buy gas at stations that have union attendants. No such places? Then walk, prove you mean what you say.
                  Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

The last time the Auto Workers striked back in 96 or 97?? they averaged $44 an hour. Yes. $44 an hour. So withoutout any overtime or bonuses the average auto worker (Nothing more than Skilled Laborer) made almost $92,000 a year. In some places Teachers Unions have made it so if a teacher works a full year and a few hours of overtime a week, that teacher makes over $200,000 a year.

Union's time has long since come and gone. Supply and Demand should set the salary of a worker. That's the American way. If you don't like it where you work, quit. Short supply of Nurses in a lot of areas have made Hospitals sweeten the pot for someone to work there, and that's the way it should be.

Matt

Comment

Lerx, I would also have to pay attention to anything under the name, which I don't. I just recently realized I'm a gold member.

As far as union members, I never said all services should be union, or need to be. I can't help it, if a service I use is not union. I should not be chastised for that. I support the union, it does not mean I have to use every union service out there.

Here's an idea. I work my job, with no worry of being fired, or anything, for some stupid bullshit reason (if I fuck up, that's my problem).

You work your, salary employee job, ***** about the unions, do other people's jobs, and when they find out, they can get someone cheaper to do your job, that's your problem. This is America, I should not be chastised for my opinion.

If certain people have their way, wait until America is privatized (Think Magret Thatcher+England), and then, it's not what your degree says you get, or your bad I hate union attitude, or your I love union attitude says you get, It's what a completely private oraganzation says you get, without regulation from the government, or any union.

All I can say is, it must be fucking nice to be some whine ass at a job, stick your nose up someones ass, and get somewhere. In a place like that, there is almost ALWAYS someone getting fucked at the bottom of the pole, but as long as it's not you, what the fuck do you care?

Comment

I do need to say this though. There are people who are WAY over-zealous. The shit that happened to Trypp, none of our guys say that shit. Granted, we're pro-union, but we're not mentally challenged.

Maybe most of you have bad impressions of unions from that, but I'm in it for good working conditions, a living wage, and benifits. Why shouldn't I get health care, or enough money to pay my bills at my job?

Comment

Deneb, being in a union doesn't prevent you from being laid off or fired. Last one in is still first one out, and an employer can outsource your job too. He is in fact rather more likely to do so when you strike for whatever reason, if not today then later. The fact they have to settle today may put in motion the ultimate moving of your job to Guatemala - or Mississippi, if they actually need Americans to do it.

As for healthcare, that should be run by the government so it's not an issue of employmemnt. Right now I'm between the hammer and anvil due to that. I've had heart trouble, diabetes, hypertension and now a stroke recently. I can still walk, talk, think and am more than capable of doing clerical work, but nobody will hire me due to my medical history. They don't want me on their insurance program because I'm a liability. At the same time, the stroke didn't paralyze me completely (yay!) so I'm not considered disabled (it's still in play, but I'm told by everybody they turn you down a few times first, hoping you'll die). If we had universal health coverage it'd be a non-issue and I could get a job. There are millions of people in my situation because of this.

Anyway, back to my point, many unions let go members when there's not enough work. Oh, they let them keep paying dues, but they show up to the hall and there's no work for them. $44 per hour x 0 hours is $0 dollars. Now the guy then goes to a non-union shop where he gets $25 per hour
                          and makes $25 x 40 = $1,000 per week. You can see that as a big pay cut compared to $44/hr., or a big raise as compared to $0 per week. This is what I'm familiar with from working in the non-union plumbing service and repair business in Southern California for many years. We hired our share of union plumbers, and they were no more skillful than our non-union guys, but they had problems in areas like being polite to the customers, thinking they're not responsible for cleaning up after themselves on jobsite, etc... , in other words, the "not me yob" attitude.

If you're in a union and have work, that's great. You should realize that except for certain industries though, the union is a thing of the past. Your life is really better for that in most ways, unless you want to pay $10 for a Big Mac.
                          Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

More times than not, unions are the pimple on the ass of progress!
                            Occupy JCF

Comment

As our half-staff mourning period for Ronald Reagan nears its end, I'd like to say two things:

Remember PATCO!!! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                              God Bless Ronald Reagan! I didn't agree with him on everything but killing PATCO
                              was a great deed for America. He gave fair warning, and you don't fuck with the President unless you want to go down!

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                              Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

I am not disagreeing for one moment that the union can be bad, however, on the same token, I think there's alot more it can do.

A facility I deal with just had to reneg a contract. They cut pay for CNA (nursing aides) from 12.00 starting, to 9.50$ starting. And the aides that start at the 9.50, will NEVER be on the same tier as the other workers.

There are certain jobs, that it would not make sense to organize, however, in alot of areas it does make ALOT of sense.

I can see your point on the 25/44 dollar an hour subject, I'll be honest with you, I agreee 100% on that. On my side though, there are still FAR too many people getting fucked around. How can you raise a family on 10$ an hour? Alot of scrimping and saving, it can be done, but it's hard. Now you have other people who make a fortune, by screwing their employees...That makes no sense to me.

I know all to well about medical problems, granted, I'm VERY sure mine are not anywhere near yours (I hope better luck befalls you), but I had to have surgery without insurance, that left a 25K$ bill for me to pay. Finally, after pretty much giving all my extra money, It's paid off. The SSD or SSI thing, yes, you always get denied the first few times, but for the most part the money is retroactive to the first date that you applied (I have a friend who does this for a living).

I would be totally against the union IF bosses didn't dick their employees. We have too many bosses that walk on workers rights.

Example, our maintenence department has to carry a pager now, and they're on call on their off time...but they only get 60 cents an hour.

So let me see if I have this right, I could have a picnic planned for my family...but I have to come back to work if I get paged, so I really can't plan anything at all? AND for the people who live in areas that don't get reception, they want them on an hourly basis to drive to where they do to see if they got any pages.

That's NOT right. People made to work through breaks, NOT right. Then again, people being WAYYYYYYYYYYYY overpaid for a job, in my opinion is not right.

My definition of a living wage, and highway robbery are 2 different things. A living wage, you can live off of, and maybe do some things with your family, sock some money away, and take care of things that come up.

Highway robbery (what some of these higher union members get) also contributes to job outsourcing...and I'm VERY against that.

I'd rather have 2 people with jobs at 22$ an hour, than 1 person, with an attitude, and 44$ an hour.

Comment

Working...
                                X