Best 3 Concerts You've ever seen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best 3 Concerts You\'ve ever seen?

Testament p*ssed me off because it was a case of bad timing. They showed up here in San Antonio without Skolnick right before it was publicly announced he had left the band, so I had to find out the hard way that he left since there was no net to find out news almost instantly. His replacement was a good player, but it still sucked showing up to a show expecting to see somene only to not to.

Another good show was in 1990: Voivod with some nobody band called Soundgarden opening. Cornell thought he would be cool and stage-dive. The audience was thin and spread out, so no one caught him. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

1)Woodstock 94
      2)Kiss Reunion concert (Lifelong dream)
      3) Ozzy/Metallica with Cliff Burton

[ April 13, 2004, 01:26 PM: Message edited by: KMaynard ]
      Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

1) Clash of the Titans '91 (Slayer-Anthrax-Megadeth-Alice in Chains)

2) Ministry- The Mind is a Terrible Thing to Taste Tour '89

3) Death- InHuman Tour of the World '91

A Danzig/Kyuss show I saw once also stands out in my mind.

Comment

1. Children of Bodom- with Shadows Fall and Soilwork supporting. By far the best gig i've ever attended, i didn't even know who Children Of Bodom were untill i saw them that night, i was blown away in an instant when they went into needled 24/7. Amazing sound and light show, i can't express how good this concert was! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

2.Motorhead- with Anthrax, Hawkwind and Skew Siskin supporting. First two bands were boring, But Anthrax and Motorhead were intense and VERY loud!.

3.Megadeth- with some crappy band called Defenestration supporting. The first band left the stage as the kept being yelled to get off by the crowd (never seen so many bottles and cups thrown at a band). Megadeth were awesome, wore suits though, pretty weird.
          93 USA Soloist EDS
          USA HT6 Juggernaut
          Charvel DK24FR

Comment

I've seen so many damned concerts over the years, that it's difficult, but here we go:

1. Yes--The Great Western Forum, Inglewood, Calif. 1991. This was the "Union" tour with all the major current-and-past members of Yes onstage all at once on a revolving in-the-round stage. Something about this show was just magical--Jon Anderson later claimed that the light of heaven came through the roof of the Forum that evening. I was sober and didn't see that... [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] But still a great show.

2. Joe Satriani--Portland (Ore.) Civic Auditorium, 1990. This was the second leg of the "Flying in a Blue Dream" tour, when Joe got a new sound and light system, and it was an absolutely stunning show--perfect sound, playing and setlist. Of course, I was flying high on Ecstacy the whole show, so maybe it wasn't really as great as I remember. But who cares--it was great for me! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

3. The Flower Kings--New Brunswick N.J. fall, 2001. TFK are the best progressive rock band in the world right now, and this was simply one of the best shows I have ever seen. They combine classic Yes-like prog rock epics with tremendous fusion-Jazz quality jamming. This was a show in the small theater next door to the State Theater in New Brunswick, and it was the perfect intimate-but-classy venue to host such a concert.

3a. Styx--the "Return to the Paradise Theater" tour, 1998(?). I know y'all are laughing. My then-fiance was the one who wanted to go, since I'm not the biggest Styx fan in the world. But they absolutely *nailed* it. Incredible stage setup, great sound, perfect singing and playing, and actually a hell of a song collection to play from (especially for those of us old enough to remember them when they were considered a real rock band).

3b. Crosby Stills Nash Young--reunion tour 2000; MCI Center, Washington DC. Wow. Another one I went to in order to humor my wife (although I am also a CSNY fan). I was expecting a bunch of old geezers sitting around on stools strumming acoustics. Not as long as Neil Young's in the house, baby! He absolutely tore the place up. I've rarely seen a more raucous performance. They ended the show by playing an almost-metallic version of "Eight Miles High" that ended with Young ripping the strings out of his Les Paul while it was screaming feedback! They then calmly walked off the stage without a word to the sound of uncontrolled feedback. The kicker on this was leaving the arena and seeing all of the shell-shocked faces on the 50-year old yuppies who had been hoping to see, well, old guys sitting around on stools singing "Teach Your Children"! That will remain a treasured memory...

Comment

KISS - 1978 at the LA Forum when they recorded the second live album.

Deep Purple, ELP and Dream Theater - 1998. DT was great, ELP was...well...ELP, and Deep Purple blew me away with how tight and powerful the old geezers have become.

Trans-Siberian Orchestra - every year.

Honorable mention...

Deep Purple, Scorpions and Dio - 2002. Just very cool to see these three again.

Comment

Dream Theater in Chicago back in March

G3 (1st edition) at the Aragon Ballroom in Chicago. That was the show that 99% of the music for the cd came from.

Van Halen, Balance tour at the Rosemont. I saw them at the World on their way back around and the sound sucked, too much bounce off of those support columns. And Sammy fucked up Eagles Fly. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Megadeth on the Youthanasia tour in Springfiled, IL 1995 gets honorable mention. That one would have been better but I was supposed to go with my brother and he bailed out on me at the last minute. Then on the drive over there, my friend told me that my ex-girlfriend had cheated on me and that is why she broke up with me weeks prior. [img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Circle of the Tyrants & I must have similar tastes!

-Clash of the Titans 1991
                  Megadeth, Slayer, Anthrax, AIC...at the Pacific in Costa Mesa, CA. Slayer blew everybody away!

-Death also around 1991 or so
                  I can't remember any of the supporting acts. This was held in an old theater with cathedral ceilings called the Variety Arts Center in downtown LA. It totally reminded me of a church. I must've lost 10 pounds moshing that night.

-Kreator, Testament, and I think Holy Terror
                  1989 or '90. Coma of Souls tour...I think at the Palladium in Hollywood. I talked my way into parking my motorcycle for free in the lot. I hung out with Gene Hoglan at this crowded show; I remember the sound was excellent and the lighting was just fantastic! Kreator's lighting budget must have been the majority expense on that whole tour! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
                  "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Iron Maiden - Feb 1984 Powerslave Tour at the U.N.O. Lakefront Arena in New Orleans - it was Adrian Smith's birthday and the roadies were pelting him with whipped cream [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Accept, Helix, Keel, and Lilian Axe at the Saengar Theater in New Orleans (forgot the year) - 5 hours of Metal [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Can't decide on the 3rd - it's between:
                    Stryper (In God We Trust)
                    Ozzy (Ultimate Sin)
                    AC/DC / Queensryche (Who Made Who)
                    Stray Cats and somebody (Rock This Town)
                    Cheap Trick/Uriah Heep (mt first concert in 82 - still got the shirt)
                    Y&T and somebody (can't recall)
                    DLR and Krokus (Eat Em and Smile with Vai and Sheehan)
                    Alice Cooper and somebody (GNR?) (Raise Your Fist and Yell)
                    Motley Crue and GNR (Girls Girls Girls / Appetite)

Never saw KISS [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] , never saw Sabbath [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Newc
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Pink Floyd in early 90's. at Pasadena Rose Bowl
                      Van Halen's Monster of Rock at L.A. Memorial in 88.
                      Metallica/Queensryche Justice For All Tour at Long Beach Arena
                      [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

With all these shows being talked about they brought back some good memories.

Ozzy/Metallica - Oklahoma City Fairgrouns I think '86
                        I had seen Ozzy before in 84 and just couldn't appreciate the whole thing yet. When I this show the damage was done!

Kiss Reunion Tour - Gund Arena Cleveland 97
                        I have always loved Kiss and my Wife and I drove to Cleveland from Battle Creek, Mi on 2 cylinders in a 4 cylinder car. Great weekend!

Cinderella/Nelson/Lynch Mob 91 Saginaw Civic Center
                        Ok Don't laugh. This was the first concert I saw after getting home from the Gulf. There is a long, long story that goes with it. But the outcome was I ended up getting a backstage pass and got to meet all 3 bands. Cinderella's road manager let me bring my camera inside as well. George was my inspiration for picking up the guitar so it was a great nite.
                        http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

Rush, UFO and Max Webster - The Warehouse, New Orleans, winter 1978. The
                          Farewell to Kings/Lights Out tour, it was the peak for both bandslive IMO.

Queensryche with Warrant and Leatherwolf, Irvine Meadows CA, fall 1989. Queensryche was on tour with Metallica at that time, but booked one headlining show in SoCal at Irvine Meadows Amphitheater (Now Verizon Wireless Amph.). They did all of Mindcrime and the best of their other stuff as well; justy a great show.

Racer X - any of several times I saw them
                          as they opened for lots of bands back in the day. Never failed to amaze me and annihilated every band they opened for, except Lizzy Borden who had a decent dual axe attack themselves. Not Paul and Bruce level, but still respectable AFTER
                          seeing Paul and Bruce; that says something itself!

Honorable mentions: Uli Roth, May 1985,
                          Fender's Ballroom, Long Beach, CA; Deep Purple Perfect Strangers tour, Long Beach Arena; Galactic Cowboys, Machine Fish tour, Troubadour, West Hollywood.
                          Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by dinkyjacksonman:
                            Van Halen's Monster of Rock at L.A. Memorial in 88.
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Oh yeah, I was there also! VH, Metallica, Scorpions, Dokken, and I forget the other band.
                            I sold tix to all my office buddies. My gf at the time broke up with me because I attended this show! [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
                            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX:
                              -Clash of the Titans 1991
                              Megadeth, Slayer, Anthrax, AIC...at the Pacific in Costa Mesa, CA. Slayer blew everybody away!
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I also saw that tour that year, but in NYC at Madison Square Garden. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Slayer definitely blew everybody away!! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Juda Priest on the Painkiller tour with Megadeth and Testament.

Megadeth and Suicidal Tendencies on the Countdown To Extinction tour.

Iron Maiden and Anthrax on Maiden's No Prayer For The Dying tour.

Fates Warning on the Pleasant Shade Of Gray tour.

Overkill also always kicked ass every time I've seen them.
                              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

1) KISS at the Palladium in NYC 1981 (very first show with Eric Carr)

2) Triumph/Loudness/Mountain at Continental Arena August 11th 1987 (Triumph's Thunder7 tour...and Loudness's American debut)

3)Dream Theater at the Stone Pony in NJ on the Images & Words tour (1994 or 5?)

Comment

Working...
                                X