Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sabbath question...

Originally posted by Hyperfuzz:
    I think the original tracks for Eternal Idol were recorded with him and then Martin re-did them....or something like that. I don't remember the exact story.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That's correct. Ray Gillen replaced Glenn Hughes (who was really messed up) a few gigs into the Seventh Star tour and basically brought the house down. After the tour, they went to a studio in the Caribbean somewhere to work on the Eternal Idol album, but the (basically impromptu) band fell apart around Iommi and Gillen, and after many delays Gillen figured that Sabbath had no future and quit. Iommi then hired Tony Martin and had him replace Gillen's already recorded vocals.

I think that Gillen's tracks were wiped, but I have a bootleg of a rough album mix with Gillen's vocals. He had a slightly purer voice than Martin, but I think Martin actually fit the Sabbath style better--even though he was singing Gillen's melodies and lyrics on that album.

As far as bootlegs with Gillen, there is also an A+ radio broadcast recording of the San Antonio
    show on the Seventh Star tour that shows what Gillen was really capable of. He sang both the Dio and Ozzy material really well. I haven't listened to either boot in awhile, and I'm not even sure where I put them when we last moved. But they are both worth having.

Another Sabbath bootleg worth getting is the so-called "8th Star" sessions that Iommi did in 1996 with Glenn Hughes and Dave Holland for a projected Iommi solo album. This material is almost entirely different (and MUCH better) than the stuff that ended up on the "Iommi" album a couple of years ago. More melodic, not as heavy, but much stronger songwriting from Iommi and Hughes. Latest word is that Iommi is going to officially release this material, but I don't know when, or if there is more material than on the 8th Star boot, which is pretty short.

Comment

Originally posted by pro-fusion:
      </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Didn't mean to pick your post out specifically. Just the thought of JLT trying to sing Sabbath material makes me laugh out loud! He's a good singer, but that's hardly his style.

As far as Bonnet goes, it seems to be a love/hate thing for most people. Since Down To Earth is my favorite Rainbow album, I guess that's where I learned to appreciate his vocals. Interestingly, after working with Bonnet in Alcatrazz, Yngwie tended to favor that type of 'sandpaper' vocalist for awhile, such as Jeff Scott Soto and Mark Boals.
      </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I'm the same way on Bonnet, I used to not like him much but he did grow on me, that guy has some pipes, he is really singing his ass of, you have to see him live or listen to the live Alctrazz album.

As far as Jeff Scott Soto, he's one of my favorite vocalists, best one Yngwie ever had if ya ask me...he had it all, range, passion, feel, he could scream and be mean as well as carry a nice vocal melody...where is he now?
      shawnlutz.com

Comment

I fuckin' loooooooove Bonnet's vocal! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] His works with Rainbow, Alcatrazz and MSG all kick some serious ass. Fucking graspy and furious. [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Lutz:
          </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by pro-fusion:
          </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Didn't mean to pick your post out specifically. Just the thought of JLT trying to sing Sabbath material makes me laugh out loud! He's a good singer, but that's hardly his style.

As far as Bonnet goes, it seems to be a love/hate thing for most people. Since Down To Earth is my favorite Rainbow album, I guess that's where I learned to appreciate his vocals. Interestingly, after working with Bonnet in Alcatrazz, Yngwie tended to favor that type of 'sandpaper' vocalist for awhile, such as Jeff Scott Soto and Mark Boals.
          </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I'm the same way on Bonnet, I used to not like him much but he did grow on me, that guy has some pipes, he is really singing his ass of, you have to see him live or listen to the live Alctrazz album.

As far as Jeff Scott Soto, he's one of my favorite vocalists, best one Yngwie ever had if ya ask me...he had it all, range, passion, feel, he could scream and be mean as well as carry a nice vocal melody...where is he now?
          </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Jeff is still around, doing solo stuff, and he did some of the vocals in the Rock Star movie. Though, I actually always liked Marc Boals a little better, and I thought Mike Vescera was Yngwie's best singer.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

The first time I saw Yngwie live (only a few years ago), he had reunited with Boals, who is a fantastic singer. I almost felt bad for him, as he had to stand back by the drummer, either on Yngwie's orders, or to avoid getting knocked on the head by Yngwie's wild guitar gyrations! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Boals was probably the best singer that Yngwie's worked with, but somehow I thought that Soto came across better on the albums.

Comment

When I saw Yngwie live, I think he had some guy named Doogie singing...that guy wasn't real good.

Comment

That was Doogie White. He's a Scotsman, which is where the "Doogie" comes from (real name=Doug). He also sang on a Rainbow album about 5 or 6 years ago, and I happen to think he's pretty good. Doogie's got a project called Cornerstone with the bassist from Royal Hunt that has a couple of good albums out.

Comment

I thought Soto was Yngwie's best singer too. Has anyone heard his solo stuff? I've seen a couple of his albums at the store, but haven't pulled the trigger because I have no idea what to expect.
                  Hail yesterday

Comment

DIO! DIO! DIO!

Comment

Ah - I knew I saw both Yngwie and Turner together, and since Yngwie was in Alkatrazz after Vai, I thought that's where I saw them together [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Anyhoo, the guy blows - reminds me of Don Dokken; trying too hard to sing like a man, but he's got a half-assed operatic whiny voice with very little musical tone to it - it's just there.

Bonnet was also good with Impilliteri, even if the guitar was outright masturbation and the songs sucked.
                      I just never cared for the Miami Vice outfit he always wore in those bands [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Can Frank Iommi sing? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Newc
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Nope dude, Yngwie was in Alcatrazz BEFORE Vai. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Geez, Newc, so your GF went backstage at a Rainbow show and never came back! It
                          was 20 years ago, time to let go! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Joe Lynn Turner and Don Dokken are both better singers than Graham Bonnet! He sounds like shit on everything he's done
                          except Assault Attack with MSG. He sounds like someone who dropped a running chainsaw on his foot! Joe and Don can actually sing; maybe you're just not familiar with singers instead of howlers.
                          Graham Bonnet is a howler, not a singer.
                          Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by lerxstcat:
                            Geez, Newc, so your GF went backstage at a Rainbow show and never came back! It
                            was 20 years ago, time to let go! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Joe Lynn Turner and Don Dokken are both better singers than Graham Bonnet! He sounds like shit on everything he's done
                            except Assault Attack with MSG. He sounds like someone who dropped a running chainsaw on his foot! Joe and Don can actually sing; maybe you're just not familiar with singers instead of howlers.
                            Graham Bonnet is a howler, not a singer.
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Its a matter of opinion Rich but musically Bonnet is hitting notes and melody, has range and power. I admit his voice is a bit abbrasive but he can sing.

Of the two whimpy pretty boy singers, I'd go with dokken over turner [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                            shawnlutz.com

Comment

I like Graham Bonnet because of his raspy voice - it was practically guaranteed to NOT get some teenage slut all misty-eyed and wet [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                              If you don't understand the benefit of that, then maybe you don't pay enough child support/alimony [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

As for Dorken and SpermPerm Turner, I've never seen anyone fail to score after playing a track from either of those two crooners to some teenage slut [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc
                              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Don Dokken's got an awesome voice... and he sounds just like Klaus Meine. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                                X