Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Nickelback and all other "pop-music bands" suck!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why Nickelback and all other "pop-music bands" suck!

You're right, Willy, what was I ever thinking? [img]graemlins/baby.gif[/img]
    "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
    Gotta get away from here.
    Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
    Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

This is fuckin stupid.

Here's the fuckin bottom line:
      -Do what you need to fuckin do to survive.
      -Do what you need to do to want to continue surviving.

I like the art of music because I like the art of music. I'll do what I need to make a living, but I'm never going to back-talk the music I love just because it doesn't give me a useless Ferrari, multi-million dollar house, and a bunch of stupid whores.

Comment

Originally posted by Ninja Guitar:

useless Ferrari
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Please dont combine mutually exclusive terms in your comments...........

Comment

Re: Why Nickelback and all other &quot;pop-music bands&quot; suck!

"I personally wouldn't be able to live with myself playing music I hate just to be highly successful and popular. That's not why I'm into music, and that's not why I'm pursuing a career in music. If that was my reason for pursuing music, I'd be better off to just go to college and become a lawyer or something."

ARE you persuing a career in music??
          Yes, you would be better off becoming a lawyer or something. I mean, who would want to be sucessful in a music career? Can you imagine how horrible it would be to enjoy Nickleback style success?

The horror...the horror...

Comment

Well I'm pursuing a career in music, but I guess what sets me apart from half the people here is I appreciate and like most kinds of music. I don't listen to rap and hip hop, but I wouldn't have a problem producing Nelly's next album if its going to pay the bills for the next 2 years. Bottom line is, any music is better than no music IMO. It's a hard business to get into, you'll never make it by limiting yourself and your options.

Comment

Alright, perhaps I was too anal about the whole sellout thing. Obviously Chad Kroeger enjoys what he does, so I guess I can't really call him a sellout.

[img]graemlins/refuse.gif[/img] I still say Nickelback sucks, though [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] .

I understand that sometimes people just have to suck it up and do what needs to be done for them to get where want, or to get the money they need. At the same time I don't wanna just completely give into what's popular, cause if everyone does that where does all the music we really like go? Down the crapper. So naturally I wanna say screw it to what's popular and just play my kinda music. I naturally want to try to keep and/or expand the audience of that kinda music, so it never dies or fails to evolve. I guess it's a big double edged sword you just gotta learn how to control, playing music you love vs. playing music you just have to play.

Comment

This reminds me of something.

The music industry of the U.S. is obviously, very very difficult to break into, regardless of what kinda music you play. From what I understand the music markets around the rest of the world are much easier to break into, since they aren't as market driven as the US's music market. Someone please correct me if I'm at all wrong about this. If it's true, I'm considering aiming towards a foreign music market as an option to the US's. Of course, one major problem is that I currently live in the US [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] . What do you guys think?

Maybe I should start a new thread for this. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

BTW, this is in no way intended to come across as a bashing towards the U.S.A, I love this country as much as any other country [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img] .

Comment

Originally posted by Ninja Guitar:
                  This reminds me of something.

The music industry of the U.S. is obviously, very very difficult to break into, regardless of what kinda music you play.
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Then how did all of those rappers get in? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Unless you have big boobies, or the looks in general, I think it is hard to get a breakthrough anywhere in the western world. At least if you are talking about the pop/mtv scene.

Comment

Very true, indeed.

Mmmmm, boobies! [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

But, even the metal and underground industries here still seem pretty hard to get into.

Comment

You may have a point there. I'm sure you're into the real heavy, fast, dark underground type stuff (I'm out of my element here, no slam meant, just generalizing). The market for that, whatever the specific label, is probably much bigger than here. That's still no guarentee you'll be able to support yourself with music, though the idea has merit.

Comment

Yes, but I think there is a big difference between being able to live on your music, and making millions of dollars. No one is worth 10 million bucks a year for writing cookie cutter music and ripping off their own tunes. True musicians would be happy enough if they could support themselves and their families by doing the thing they love the most; playing music.

Also, none of the formula produced MTV crap will be remembered in, lets say, 10 years. The bands that actually put an effort into writing and playing will not share the same destiny.

All in my opinion, of course [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I am into the dark, obscure stuff but I like other forms of metal and music as well. I've been in more of a power metal mood lately.

I think it'll be good to look into a bit more. I do wanna be able to make a living off music. I don't really care so much about getting rich (I wouldn't have too much objection to that, though), but to just make a living off my music would be pretty cool.

Comment

OK, popularity and all the other stuff aside... You have to realize in a 12-tone system there are only so many combinations you can have before you start replicating things. Since the beginning from when man started writing down music, I'm sure we've come to that point.

Now, I'm a HUGE fan of Dream Theater. I've seen them live 14 times now and I don't plan on missing any future shows. But information can be used in many ways. What the creator of that Nickelback thing didn't want to show you was that if you put Kansas' "Song For America" side by side to Dream Theater's "Metropolis, Pt. 1: The Miracle and the Sleeper" you'll notice that the two are very similar in composition.
                            Occupy JCF

Comment

Also very true. It's near impossible to avoid repetition. I don't really mind repetition, as long as it's not used that much, like the Nickelback example.

Cephalic Carnage is a pretty good example of band that seems to try to avoid any repetition. I'm not bashing them, I think they're kinda cool. But they seem to try to avoid repetition too much, at least to me. Sometimes they do some great grooves, and then you never hear them again. It gets on my nerves. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

More to the point, and I don't want to piss off any Dio fans (because I'm one too), but "Rainbow in the Dark" and "Mystery" are basically the same song.
                                Occupy JCF

Comment

Working...
                                X