Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Nickelback and all other "pop-music bands" suck!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why Nickelback and all other "pop-music bands" suck!

Originally posted by Tetsuo:
    I am not saying one way is right or wrong just that you ahve to look at the whole situation.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I can agree with that [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img] . As we've all stated before, what works for one person doesn't work for all.

Comment

Re: Why Nickelback and all other &quot;pop-music bands&quot; suck!

Pop music makes my balls itch.. [img]graemlins/help.gif[/img]
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I disagree this was just something that ended up sounding 'similar to each other' by chance. This is calculated. The intro, chorus, solo, the entire structure and even the time everything is setup is the same. It is as if they erased their original vocals, rewrote them then slightly altered the instrument lines to fit the new lyrics. The really scary part is at 1:48-2:02.

I also don't think Nickelback is a dumb band. They are playing the game they agreed to play when they signed those contracts.

Comment

They took Jerry Cantrell on tour with them two years ago, they must have some sort of brains!

Comment

Originally posted by Ninja Guitar:
            Lerx, I respect your opinion because you are older, have seen more of the world, and know what it's about. Doesn't mean I necessarily agree with all your outlooks, however. That's just me, though. I don't agree with selling out, period. Besides, it's not like anyone here is a soldout artist signed to Sony or something.
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Ninja, when I was your age I felt the same way, and you certainly have the right to your point of view. Just pointing out some things that may have not yet happened in your world, that could change your viewpoint later. 'm not saying they will, only that they could.

Black mask, I wasn't talking to you, and don't tell me what to do, boy. Realism
            is not bitter or cynical. It comes from experience, which you don't have, so why don't you speak when you know what you're talking about?
            Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

"Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I don't agree with selling out, period.
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">
                I would much rather pay my bills by playing in a couple cover bands, ... or top 40 combos ....
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Anybody else see the irony here?
                Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

originally posted by Black Mask...
                  lerxstcat - Don't try to advocate selling out. Not all of us are old, bitter, jaded cynics yet.
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hey Rich, you gotta remember that - according to Black Mask - most of us "who play Jacksons are too old to even be in a rock band anymore".

Apparently, we are too old to even have a valid opinion when it comes to music. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by YetAnotherOne:
                    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Ninja Guitar:
                    I don't agree with selling out, period.
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">
                    I would much rather pay my bills by playing in a couple cover bands, ... or top 40 combos ....
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Anybody else see the irony here?
                    </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">yea, I caught that too. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Much better to play someone else's songs in a cover band to pay the bills then to "sell out" and play Nickelback-like originals and get rich, apparently.
                    Hail yesterday

Comment

That's cool Lerx. I know many older people who think the same as you. I really don't have a problem with it. When I'm smart I try to learn from their mistakes and work towards my goals that way. Kinda hard to do without first hand experience. Maybe I'll turn out just like you and maybe I turn out just a little different. Just as long as I don't become a Ron I'll be cool [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] (joking dude [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] )

Yes, I like playing in cover bands playing both music I do like and music I don't like. Yes, I would hate to see myself completely soldout and lame like Nickelback. That's where I draw my line. Got a problem with it?

Apparently I haven't completely clear on this. Someone mentioned Greg Howe playing for some pop singers. But that he if he ever wanted to, he could still get some money together and record his own stuff and put it on a CD. Exactly what Marty Friedman and Steve Vai. Thing is, I could see myself doing that. First off, the music they played for others(Whitesnake, DLR, Japanese Pop Stars) wasn't music I hate nearly as much as Nickelback. And second, those guys have used the money they made to do their own projects, which have rocked and make me go [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] .

If Chad Kroeger (spl?) ever does the same thing (which I highly doubt) as Marty or Vai, I will change my opinion. But for now I still say he sucks ass. [img]graemlins/fart.gif[/img]

Comment

Like Eddie Van Halen once said, "I'd rather bomb on my own shit than go platinum on someone else's." To me there are too many good bands out there to bother with ones I don't like. The other night I was blown away by 6 musicians in a band who doesn't play what's popular, is not huge by any stretch of the term, yet they put on a better show and played better than most major-label bands I've seen. Not only that, but they were so appreciative of the 300 or so people that were there that it was so inspiring to me...I see no need to rag on bands that are huge and play similar songs when there are bands like Bleeding Through out there.

Comment

Ahh, youth. What a splendid thing it must be to be so naive.
                          I remember harboring the same "I'll never sell out" thoughts, similiar to the "he sucks cause he dosen't move his fingers fast" ideals being presented here when I was 16.
                          Then I turned pro at 17 and my whole perspective on the music business and survival changed.

"Greg Howe could get some money together and put his stuff on CD."

Great. Now what? Sell thousands of copies? How? To Whom? Is some record label going to pick up the album for distribution, or hey even better yet, give Greg a dumptruck full of money for recording it? Why the fuck would they do that?

Hell, I've gotten some money together and put stuff on CD. Where is my world tour, my Ferrari, my groupies, my fame, fortune, and wealth?

The business of music is WAY WAY more powerful than the music, and here's a clue: The record buying public dosen't give a tin shit about guitar players who can move their fingers fast, so if you want to make a living in music, and you don't do dance/rap, you'd better start learning how Chad Kroeger writes songs.

Comment

I'm just glad that as a kid I came up with the real players, those who really understood their guitars. Solos, glitz, flash, and general coolness. Today's music lacks so much of that. But that's probably what we all grow to think as we age.

Kurt Cobain wasn't a guitar virtuoso. He was a fine song writer. And that's why he's so popular with the younger generation. I'd much rather listen to Steve Clark, Vivian Campbell, and Carlos Cavazo because those guys could play and write. I feel bad for kids today who worship false guitar gods...
                            "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                            Gotta get away from here.
                            Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                            Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Originally posted by chopper45hd:
                              they may suck but they are doin what everyone here wants to do....get paid alot of $$ to play music. if i could have the lifestyle they have doin the same kinda thing i would. and you would too.
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">acually no I wouldn't man ! metal all the way not crap rock . I know all the good players in town and in B.C.and they always say to me that they wish they had stuck it out and did what I did and not played covers or blues or country ! and they all respect me very much for sticking to my guns even my buddies from Stutterfly who are signed to mavric records [maddonas label] respect me for what I do as to playing something that can make me money . if I have to work in warehouses all my life and be super busy playing/writing metal than so be it at least I will be true to my fans [small as it may be] and myself . not selling out to please the masses , general public ect ect ect . so long story short no I wouldn't play something just for the cash thank you very much ! metal to the end ! even if I am just a sucker so be it . [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img] //Steve

Comment

Charvel750, there are lots of good guitarists in current bands today, many of which have been talked about here before(mostly by me!!). I stood two feet away from Scott Danough from Bleeding Through as he tore it up on more than a few songs, as well as both guitarists in Himsa....Synyster Gates from Avenged Sevenfold, Jon Donias from Shadows Fall, Teppei Teranishi from Thrice, and Jade Puget from AFI all play great solos when called for. The main difference between these guys and the guys in the 80s is that the song is always most important, and the band is the focus, not the individual. None of these bands are huge (AFI is probably the most popular and they've been working hard at it for over 11 years), but the art of the guitar solo is far from dead, and these guys are most certainly not "false guitar gods."

Comment

Working...
                                X