Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Nickelback and all other "pop-music bands" suck!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why Nickelback and all other "pop-music bands" suck!

I'm not a big Nickleback fan, but better them than boy-band crap or hip-hop crap.

Most people are not into extreme metal, so it's not like those bands would sell millions if only the Nicklebacks were gone. If the masses are going to embrace
    something that I have to listen to on radio, better any kind of rock (other than (c)rap-rock) than the other options.
    Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Re: Why Nickelback and all other "pop-music bands" suck!

Originally posted by Soloist1:
      I'm guessing they suck because they are successful in the music business and your not.
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Nah, this suckatude has more do with the fact that Nickelback writes and performs music that makes most of us cringe in disgust. Nothing to do with success. Success doesn't equal rocking. Success equals sales and money, which is cool, but not the reason so many of us are into music.

I personally wouldn't be able to live with myself playing music I hate just to be highly successful and popular. That's not why I'm into music, and that's not why I'm pursuing a career in music. If that was my reason for pursuing music, I'd be better off to just go to college and become a lawyer or something.

Comment

Re: Why Nickelback and all other &quot;pop-music bands&quot; suck!

This is their second album since they have made it. Most sophmore albums are rushed out while your band is hot. The music is usually stuff that didn't make the first album, but was written around the same time so it sounds the same as the first.
        Also the record company is applying pressure to have another hit. I have seen several shows and articles where the musicians are told to make another song just like their last big hit.
        Just another opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by chopper45hd:
          they may suck but they are doin what everyone here wants to do....get paid alot of $$ to play music. if i could have the lifestyle they have doin the same kinda thing i would. and you would too.
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">true. I could work a crappy 9-to-5 job and spend my spare time trying to play the meedly-meedly stuff I enjoy....(oh hang on, I'm already doing that) .......or I could play commercial rock, get paid a bunch to mess around with guitars and other fun shit, and then spend my spare time trying to play the meedly-meedly stuff I enjoy. I could stand that.

Greg Howe is paying the bills backing top-selling pop singers - but we all know the dude can still tear any of the current crop of Top 40 "metal" band guitarists a new one.
          Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by Ninja Guitar:
            </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Soloist1:
            I'm guessing they suck because they are successful in the music business and your not.
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Nah, this suckatude has more do with the fact that Nickelback writes and performs music that makes most of us cringe in disgust. Nothing to do with success. Success doesn't equal rocking. Success equals sales and money, which is cool, but not the reason so many of us are into music.

I personally wouldn't be able to live with myself playing music I hate just to be highly successful and popular. That's not why I'm into music, and that's not why I'm pursuing a career in music. If that was my reason for pursuing music, I'd be better off to just go to college and become a lawyer or something.
            </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">So I guess they should play stuff that interests them 1 night a week for barely any scratch in a small night club and soak all of that cash into a demo CD that sells a few hundred copies right? On the side they could always pump gas. Sounds like a good plan. After all I'm sure your endorsement of whether their music sucks or not is the most important thing to them. Music is their business. If a business isn't successful at making money it usually isn't a business for long. If they are selling albums obviously they are doing it properly. When you do a job there are ways of doing it and ending up with a successful result. Maybe if your content sitting at home scratching your balls and playing your guitar when you have time or occassionally play out, then fine. You sure as hell have no room to talk about a successful band sucking just because you like them or not. I'm sure plenty of people could say the same about your skills as a musician based on their personal opinion.
            We must!
            We must!
            We must increase the bust!
            The bigger the better!
            The tighter the sweater!
            The boys are counting on us!

Comment

Mudkicker has it exactely right. They are keeping their heads above water and beating the crap out of the odds right now. Wait till the third and fourth albums before you dismiss them.
              Chad Kroeger is a talented writer. Give him time to shake off the Record Company demands and spread his wings. The label isn't going to let him do whatever he wants yet, but soon he will have that clout, then check them out.

I'd rather play rhythm guitar in Nickleback than go to Dialysis three times a week.

Comment

well, even though i dont like their music i think that at least chad kroeger isnt as dumb as everyone says he is. i remember an interview in which he said that before nickelback he was into the whole yngwie-vai-satch etc. shred thing, and worked pretty hard on his chops. it was just that for nickelback he focused on songwriting and singing more than building chops because thats what their music demands.
                ok, he may be pretty bad at wrinting songs (at least imo.....too much repetition, although not as much as some other crap thats around today (linkin park, or maybe those punk rock wannabe's called blink182 [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] ), but i like his singing quite a bit.

greets
                fragle

Comment

jim i agree with you, playing the game, and with 2 songs as hits playing it very well.
                  i played the mp3 for my wife who is into music from a listener pov, she never noticed before that the songs sounded the same. just knew that she liked them.
                  imho i see nothing wrong with nickleback, i like the video for "someday" and if this band playing guitar gets alot of press and air play thats better than hearing rap.
                  but hey i am goin to the prince concert later this month, who btw is another smart musican that dealt with record comps useing the whole sign thing. and can rip the shit outta a guitar i might add.

Comment

by Jim Shine
                    They are playing the game they agreed to play when they signed those contracts.
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That pretty much says it in a nutshell,stick with what sells that's what the corporation boys (and girls)want.Once you make them money then you can have a little more freedom.
                    Has any one else noticed how many "generic" type hooks and rhythem patterns have been reapearing for many many years in music.It's all in the arrangement and presentation.I hear complete passages sometimes that I swear were ripped right out of other songs.The public doesn't seem to mind,they just keep buyin' it. There must be a lesson in there somewhere for all of us [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Soloist1:
                      So I guess they should play stuff that interests them 1 night a week for barely any scratch in a small night club and soak all of that cash into a demo CD that sells a few hundred copies right? On the side they could always pump gas. Sounds like a good plan. After all I'm sure your endorsement of whether their music sucks or not is the most important thing to them. Music is their business. If a business isn't successful at making money it usually isn't a business for long. If they are selling albums obviously they are doing it properly. When you do a job there are ways of doing it and ending up with a successful result. Maybe if your content sitting at home scratching your balls and playing your guitar when you have time or occassionally play out, then fine. You sure as hell have no room to talk about a successful band sucking just because you like them or not. I'm sure plenty of people could say the same about your skills as a musician based on their personal opinion.
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I would much rather pay my bills by playing in a couple cover bands, jazz bands, or top 40 combos while also working as a guitar teacher, and work on promoting/recording/performing my own music during my spare time, than sell myself out to a certain image and style of music I absolutely hate. The money would not be worth it to me, I would have to live in disgust with myself.

Just because they're successful doesn't mean I do or should agree with what they're doing. There are other ways to be successful and make a living which work better for different people. So Nickelback is successful, good for them and their money.

"You sure as hell have no room to talk about a successful band sucking just because you like them or not." What do you mean by "room"? If by "room" you mean I have no right to say Nickelback sucks, guess again. They make they're music, sell it, promote it, and I have every right to say whether or not I think it sucks.

Comment

ARE you paying your own bills, Ninja? I mean besides your spending money and gear habits. As a 19-year-old listing his occupation as "student, guitar teacher" I venture to guess your parents are still supporting you at whatever you're doing right now. If that's the case, then you really don't yet know WHAT you'd do in a given situation. School is a laboratory and the real world is very different than that. Almost nobody realizes that until they've transited from one to the other, and almost everybody thinks they know better before they make the transition.

Post again after you've spent a couple of years playing clubs where the owners stiff you for your pay a good part of the time, and your great playing is received as background music, or even that you suck because you won't play any Nickelback!

[ April 01, 2004, 04:06 PM: Message edited by: lerxstcat ]
                        Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Okay, this was not my intention.

I just thought that it was lame that the two songs were exactly the same, musically. Maybe it was wrong to say that they suck, but they really do not impress me when they go ahead and release something that obvious.

I am not being jealous about them making more money than I do. I would just rather see their money going to some other artists, who are productive and who do not write cookie cutter and formula music.

Comment

Nickleback has said in interviews that they deliberately find a formula and stick with it. Of course it's cookie cutter. Nickleback sucks.

lerxstcat - Don't try to advocate selling out. Not all of us are old, bitter, jaded cynics yet.

Comment

Lerx, I respect your opinion because you are older, have seen more of the world, and know what it's about. Doesn't mean I necessarily agree with all your outlooks, however. That's just me, though. I don't agree with selling out, period. Besides, it's not like anyone here is a soldout artist signed to Sony or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuckracer:
                                Mudkicker has it exactely right. They are keeping their heads above water and beating the crap out of the odds right now. Wait till the third and fourth albums before you dismiss them.
                                Chad Kroeger is a talented writer. Give him time to shake off the Record Company demands and spread his wings. The label isn't going to let him do whatever he wants yet, but soon he will have that clout, then check them out.

I'd rather play rhythm guitar in Nickleback than go to Dialysis three times a week.
                                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Great thought there Chuck. I end up quiting every band I am in because I do not like the direction it is forced to go. I don't need to gig to pay the rent though. If for some reason I ended up in the situation of Nickleback I am going to say I suddenly would walk away from writing the formula that worked so I could sell records with a hit which the public and my record company wants? No I owuld more than likely do what they did.

You cna go the way of Shawn Lane and never sell out... You can also go the road of Vai. You can't tell me Vai didn't sell out his vision to do DLR and Whitesnake. He played great stuff with DLR mind you but he was doing it for the $$$

Opeth until recently had to work day jobs maybe they still do.

Maybe this formula works to an extent maybe selling out is never taking this chance. Look at Pearl Jam for example they got huge and now they are really thier own band but they could never do what they do now without having the commercial success they originally did.

I am not saying one way is right or wrong just that you ahve to look at the whole situation.
                                I keep the bible in a pool of blood
                                So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

Working...
                                X