No announcement yet.

Too old to start a band?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think there's a confluence of problems here. The first one is that I'm terrible at conveying my thoughts and they often come out as tantrums. For that I apologize. The other one is that you guys seem trigger-happy to dissend upon me, rather than support me. Right from the start, your replies were mostly negative in tone, and didn't contain much encouragement. Some of the things you guys have said to me, such as telling me to quit, and saying things like "we need less musicians like you anyway" are extremely hateful and insensitive things to say. I'm one of those people who internalize negative sentiments like those that are said to me, so you can really deal some damage to someone by saying things like that. Instead of encouraging me and being upbeat, most of you guys came right out of the gate pummeling me with dissenting sentiments, and nitpicking me, when I know that you all know full-well what I'm trying to say.

The only thing I asked was whether or not 26 is too old to start pursuing a career as a rock musician. I don't mean as a producer, or as a session player, or as a guitar teacher, or as a local bar cover band. I mean, as a guy in an original rock band, however famous or popular. My feeling was that I'm slightly too old to just be starting out, and that my window of opportunity has passed, but perhaps I'm wrong. That was it.

You guys also put words in my mouth by saying I wanted to quit because I couldn't "make millions and be famous". That's not even remotely what I said. There are plenty of bands that have gained notoriety and have made a mark on music without making millions or being household names. The thing is, I know you guys know fully damn good and well what I'm trying to ask/say, but are intentionally nitpicking me. Your replies could have been encouraging and upbeat rather than a softcore crucifixion of me.

I'm sure you guys will come back with some wise rebuttal to what I just said. Either way, I know this thread is destined for failure and is on its way downward, so whatever. I just came here to talk about this dilemma I find myself in, and maybe talk about possibilities of what I might could do about it. That's all.
    Last edited by AgentX; 11-20-2017, 08:34 PM.

Comment

AgentX - Hey this is a good little discussion. It's healthy for this place that is filled with experience. I come from an area that has never embraced original bands in the club circuit. Covers, karoke, and DJ's have been the format that gets you in the door. I have had many, many discussion with original band people in their 20's that call us cover band guys sell-outs and worse. What most don't know is we all did our original band project in our 20's-30's too. We did not harass the cover bands. When we turned 40, most of us embraced the format that could keep us enjoying playing live: covers.

There are some that moved away to continue their dream of making it with originals. Very few. Hats off to those that did. Not sure if they make a living doing it.

The new thing around here is tribute bands. Basically, cover bands that stick to one group or genre and have some performance "gimmick" or schtick. I would do that too if I did not play with such a good group of guys for the last 20 years. I love to play live. I do what it takes to stay busy in my area and I keep my day job. My band money is walking around cash.

Comment

AgentX - You got the response you did because of your attitude, simple as that. I can tell you right now, if you can't take the criticism in this thread, then you are not cut out to try and 'make it' because you will be ridiculed every step of the way. In one of the bands I mentioned above that tour the world and still have a day job, well for example, they wear makeup on stage, and have been slammed for it when opening for bands with a not-so-accepting audiences, and made fun of in the music press as well due to the way they look...yet that also have won awards and play in front of thousands just about every gig (they open for the likes of manson, on the warped tour etc). You are not the first musician to have this attitude, and definitely not the first that everyone here has come across.

Is 26 too old? No it's not. The fact that you have never gigged or anything like that certainly puts you at a disadvantage. Experience is big, but you can learn pretty quick if you keep yourself in check (I have some wonderful examples of guys coming in first gig with their head up their ass...and they didn't last long)

As for the success...you said you wanted to make a living off of it, and I have told you that playing in front of thousands, and touring the world can't even support that today. you need to have the passion. And since your goal seems to be to make money first and foremost, I don't really see it.

With all that said, let's hear some material!

Comment

You're never too old if you have something to offer.
          I'm 46, I paid for my house in 10 years from the money I made playing in a couple cover bands during the '90s. Of course, I had a day job.

I consider that a huge win.

You said 'Please don't start the "well, it depends on what you mean by 'making it'" crap. I think you all know full well what 99.99999% of people mean when they say "make it". (i.e. be successful, become a pro act, sell lots of records, tour internationally, have your songs on the radio, etc...) or at least gain some level of notoriety etc...

I'm a realist. That frankly sounds more like a 14 year old talking than a 27 year old looking to start his first band.

Do what you want and I'll support your choice, but I've given you my honest opinion based on my years of experiences.
          With the state of the music business today I firmly believe you'd have better luck supporting yourself by buying lottery tickets.
          96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudlark View Post
            I'm a realist. That frankly sounds more like a 14 year old talking than a 27 year old looking to start his first band.
            I'm 26, not 27. And talking to musicians brings out the worst in me. I'm actually very educated, and very grown up. In fact, I would bet if we compared yours and my lives apples to apples, I've done far fewer childish things than you. This is probably true even if you're a fairly upstanding individual. I've never smoked pot, never been to a party, never been in fight, never had sex, and never even had a speeding ticket. I've always pretty much just kept to myself and done what I was supposed to be doing. I just don't really like musicians. This is why you are detecting more vitriol and immaturity in my posts. It's not your problem, its mine. I fully understand that. It's just that I part company with the majority of musicians on almost every level. I don't act like them, think like them, dress like them, or talk like them. I don't really care for musicians in general. This has been a key factor in keeping me out of music for so long, but it's something I'm working on, and hopefully finding people I can stand to work with. Or perhaps there are questions of psychological problems involved on my part which need professional help? Who knows?

The other big thing keeping out of music for so long is my appearance. But I've been working on my appearance to make myself more attractive. This is has been a definite plague on my whole adult life. It has kept me from chasing my dreams. But now it just feels like it's too late and I'm too old.

Comment

Originally posted by AgentX View Post
              The other big thing keeping out of music for so long is my appearance. But I've been working on my appearance to make myself more attractive. This is has been a definite plague on my whole adult life. It has kept me from chasing my dreams. But now it just feels like it's too late and I'm too old.
              If you have some physical challenges that compromise aesthetics, embrace your abilities and not your disability. Make your "handicap" what sets you apart from the other musicians. Look at Gabriel Ingesias "Fluffy". He took his weight uses it as part of his trademark look. Jeff Healy was blind and a great player. My singer is a fat farmer. When he was skinny he could rock the 80's look - jeans, sport jacket, t-shirt. He looked like Eddie Money at one time - so did everyone else. Ho hum. Now, due to age, lack of exercise, and drive-thru's, he's unique. WHY? Now he looks like Chris Farley in bib overalls but has an amazing voice and stage presence. People are shocked when they come see us and a fat farmer takes the stage. They are expecting Hee Haw, and instead they hear Bon Scott vocals delivered by a staggering farmer. His schtick is working better now than when he tried to look cool.

So whatever limitations you think you have, embrace them. Make them work to your advantage. Even if you're the Elephant Man, market it, and shock people with your talent.

Comment

. Or perhaps there are questions of psychological problems involved on my part which need professional help? Who knows?

There's a lot of good advice in this thread, but the main point is to just get out there and start doing it if that's what you want to do. That being said, based on what I've seen in this thead what I've bolded is probably a good thing to consider either way. Being able to discuss these things with a professional will be much more beneficial to you rather then blowing up on a guitar forum.

Comment

I was only being honest and trying to be factual. You don't jam and gig because you have dreams of making it big. You do it because you want. I'm 48, haven't gigged in about a decade now but was in gigging bands for about half my life.

It would have really helped if you didn't seem to present a defeatist attitude, as well in the thread asking for "what's the best area for a hard rock band" or what not.

Have you posted many "guitarist available" ads or respond to "guitarist needed"? Go to your local music stores and read the fliers, find out your local music scenes hangouts and ask around. Try to get into an already formed band and just start playing. You may find that you might not even want to do that, but you won't know until you're there.
                  The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
                    Have you posted many "guitarist available" ads or respond to "guitarist needed"? Go to your local music stores and read the fliers, find out your local music scenes hangouts and ask around. Try to get into an already formed band and just start playing. You may find that you might not even want to do that, but you won't know until you're there.
                    I do get on CL and post ads and respond to them, but so far it's proven not to work. There are many reasons for this, but it mostly boils down to the style of music I want to play. I want to play more of a traditional hard rock/metal, whereas most kids my age want to play hipster indie stuff that I'd rather rip my own fingernails out with a pair of needle nose pliers than play/listen to. And even when you do connect with people, it never culminates. You'll talk to them once or twice via email or text (or sometimes phone), and then you'll never hear from them again. I'm not sure what to do.

Comment

Given the situation, I’d go like this:

If at the moment you can’t find musicians close to you, start composing anyway.
                      Do not loose time if you really think that at 26 someone is old

Want to have your own stuff??
                      A computer, a good audio card, Cubase + Groove Agent (or whatever program you prefer for recordings)

Start composing, the music you would do.
                      Make a demo-CD

Let it be heard by musicians, as many as possible.
                      If ideas are good, it wouldn’t be too difficult to find a drummer and a singer interested to start up the basics for a real band.
                      Look for guys older than you if you can’t find any interested guys of your same age.

In my opinion, it could work.

Good Luck
                      Last edited by Luca1973; 11-22-2017, 02:05 PM.

Comment

The other one is that you guys seem trigger-happy to dissend upon me, rather than support me. Right from the start, your replies were mostly negative in tone, and didn't contain much encouragement..
                        It's the music business, do you want the truth? Because it isn't Facebook, where you get a "Like" to feel good!

If you want to succeed (with ZERO guarantee you ever will), you're gonna be in a world that's tough as nails, these guys are being honest with you
                        (I believe Sully or someone else once posted the story of the start of his career leaving bumfuck Nebraska to "Make it big" with a group of friends and ending up alone and acting like a big egotistical prick just to survive the "Scene")

And if not being able to make money with your gear is the reason to sell it all, you certainly aren't in it for the music, so being peeved the guys are throwing that in your face is your own attitude

I'm 26, not 27. And talking to musicians brings out the worst in me. I'm actually very educated, and very grown up. In fact
                        But unable to face honest criticism (yes Honest, maybe cold and harsh, but that's what you are gonna have to get used to), like a 14 year old
                        and for "an educated man" you certainly lack the knowledge that's found all over the place when it comes to "Making it big"
                        People aren't being "dicks", that just how it is, and if you can't even take it now, you'll won't make it in "that" world

If you were serious, you would use that ego to ignore all Nay-sayers like most professional musicians have done to make it and keep from being eaten alive by the industry and the scene
                        Be a runaway train, you'll derail, burn out your boilers, or arrive at your destination,...the only way you'll ever know is by going for it
                        "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Sometimes... you just gotta blow your brains out.

Comment

I saw a guy with a hoodie on today that said something to the effect of "The only thing standing in your way of living your dream is the excuses you make". Perhaps slightly platitudinous, and ignoring some real problems people face, but I think this is generally true. Regardless, it was very nice to see. I just don't know what the first step to take is.

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
                              Sometimes... you just gotta blow your brains out.
                              It worked for Per Yngve Ohlin
                              In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

Comment

I just don't know what the first step to take is.
                                Write some songs and hit up some open mics by yourself. That way you can play what you want to play. Wear a mask or something if you're super self conscious (worked for buckethead)

Comment

Working...
                                X