Too old to start a band?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too old to start a band?

I'll be 27 this January. I've been playing guitar since age 12 and have never been in band before, and never gigged. But I still have my dreams of making it. However, I just feel I'm too old at this point. If you look back at all the big bands history, like GNR, Metallica, VH, etc... They were all 18,19,20 ,21 years old when they formed their bands. I think I missed my window. I'll be too old to be marketable by the time I get the ball rolling. I can't think of anyone who made it later in life. At least not anyone who played a "youthful" style of music. What do you guys think?

note: Please don't start the "well, it depends on what you mean by 'making it'" crap. I think you all know full well what 99.99999% of people mean when they say "make it". (i.e. be successful, become a pro act, sell lots of records, tour internationally, have your songs on the radio, etc...) or at least gain some level of notoriety etc...

If that's what you believe, it might as well be true for you. The era of big money in music is pretty much dead unless you want to be in a band focusing on commercial music or have some sort of nepotistic "in".

As for "making it crap", it sounds like you've already given up and have unrealistic expectations. Sorry, you're not gonna be the latest Maroon whatever or Britney Gaga. Might as well not even try with that attitude.
    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
      If that's what you believe, it might as well be true for you. The era of big money in music is pretty much dead unless you want to be in a band focusing on commercial music or have some sort of nepotistic "in".

As for "making it crap", it sounds like you've already given up and have unrealistic expectations. Sorry, you're not gonna be the latest Maroon whatever or Britney Gaga. Might as well not even try with that attitude.
      I'm not sure what to make of your answer. Yes or no?

Comment

Originally posted by AgentX View Post
        I'm not sure what to make of your answer. Yes or no?
        youre kidding right? I think he was pretty clear, and I have to agree with him. I think the most important part of "making it" is having an unrelenting drive with the ability to be 100 percent selfish, which by not playing in a band for the first 15 years of your musical journey says you dont have. Not a dig at you, but accepting it and enjoying music for yourself would make you much happier I would think. Good luck
        "I have so much gayness at times. My wife walks in my music room, and there I am, in my undies, listening to "Sister Christian" while lighting fireworks..doin' blow." - Bill Z

"I leave off the back plate and pinch my forskin between the tension springs. That may not work for everyone. But I find that the people love it. Half the tone is in the pud." - Bill Z

Comment

Originally posted by veemagic View Post
          youre kidding right? I think he was pretty clear, and I have to agree with him. I think the most important part of "making it" is having an unrelenting drive with the ability to be 100 percent selfish, which by not playing in a band for the first 15 years of your musical journey says you dont have. Not a dig at you, but accepting it and enjoying music for yourself would make you much happier I would think. Good luck
          Ok, so its settled. I'm too old, and there's no hope. All my stuff is for sale guys. PM me. (Not joking)

Comment

Got a custom made San Dimas copy for sale, a Charvel 625C for sale, and a Takamine ETN10C electric acoustic for sale. Already sold my amp, sorry. PM me for prices.

Comment

FWIW played my first gig when I was 35
              1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

One of my favourite bands was Nevermore. By your definition, they never "made it" (be successful, become a pro act, sell lots of records, tour internationally, have your songs on the radio)

They toured internationally, using hired backlines & playing clubs. They were certainly a "pro act", with Jeff Loomis being one of the greatest guitarists of his generation. He even occasionally turned up in the guitar magazines & scored some endorsements from manufacturers. But they never sold lots of records or got played on the radio. I believe for most of their run as a band, the guys continued to work day jobs. You might say that Jeff has made it now since joining Arch Enemy in his 40s. But I still don't think that they are selling tons of records or getting played on the radio.

For a lot of guys, making a living playing music is "making it". Nothing wrong with being in the entertainment industry's middle class. Not everyone is going to be a star, but plenty of dudes can play music for a job.

But if you'd prefer to have a tantrum & sell all of your gear because achieving the highest heights of fame are a distant reality for you, then go ahead. I'll never earn enough money playing music to give up my job & still support my family. But fooling around with gear & making music (whether on stage or in private) is still great fun for me and I'll keep doing it despite being too over the hill & not pretty enough to be on a magazine cover
                Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
                  One of my favourite bands was Nevermore. By your definition, they never "made it" (be successful, become a pro act, sell lots of records, tour internationally, have your songs on the radio)

They toured internationally, using hired backlines & playing clubs. They were certainly a "pro act", with Jeff Loomis being one of the greatest guitarists of his generation. He even occasionally turned up in the guitar magazines & scored some endorsements from manufacturers. But they never sold lots of records or got played on the radio. I believe for most of their run as a band, the guys continued to work day jobs. You might say that Jeff has made it now since joining Arch Enemy in his 40s. But I still don't think that they are selling tons of records or getting played on the radio.

For a lot of guys, making a living playing music is "making it". Nothing wrong with being in the entertainment industry's middle class. Not everyone is going to be a star, but plenty of dudes can play music for a job.

But if you'd prefer to have a tantrum & sell all of your gear because achieving the highest heights of fame are a distant reality for you, then go ahead. I'll never earn enough money playing music to give up my job & still support my family. But fooling around with gear & making music (whether on stage or in private) is still great fun for me and I'll keep doing it despite being too over the hill & not pretty enough to be on a magazine cover
                  Let me clarify (or amend) what I mean. I want to simply make a living off of my original band. Release albums to people who dig our music, potentially get gigs on festivals, and potentially tour opening for bigger acts, but headlining smaller venues, etc...

Again, I think you know full well what I mean. There are many bands that are established, have fan bases, have credability and songs that are known, but aren't Guns N Roses selling out stadiums for $300 per ticket. I just want to have a band that is able to make some kind of mark, however big, and be able to do it for a living and career.

Comment

Hey there! You aren't too old to start a band, but "making it as a career"? Not likely. Notice how most "name" musicians - even dudes that have been in bands with releases since the 80s are in multiple bands? This is because the scene has changed so much it's hard to make a living at it - even in an established band.

I have been gigging since I was 13. I am 43. My original band plays shows around the state of FL about 3 times a month. Doesn't sound like much, but we're pretty busy. We do national shows (next one is opening for Graham Bonnett), festivals, multi-band local bills, and occasional benefits. ANYTHING to stay busy and be "out there"....

Breaking into the music scene in the last few years has gotten difficult because the business model has changed. It's hard to explain without sounding like a bitch, but here's what it comes down to...

1. People are into "experiences" these days. Instagraming their food, micro-breweries, dressing up....nothing that really requires serious "buy in". People drop in, make an appearance, post some pics and move on.

2. The younger generations expect music for free. You WILL come across the odd "kids" that want vinyl and stuff, but MOST stream their music and download the songs they like - and that's it. The look at you like you are crazy when it comes to buying the music you made. It's a transition. Getting started is harder because you are a "nobody" and because of that, they REALLY expect your music for free.

2a. Even if your music is available to stream, most people these days won't listen past the first few seconds. If you have them for a minute, you are a success.

3. YouTube. Why go to a show, when you can watch a version/clip/song you love from the comfort of your home - or while you are out having a micro-brew, douching it up with your friends? If you KNOW how to use it, YouTube is the new avenue to success. My band is currently in the process of working with a dude about your age on how to maximize our YouTube presence to increase our potential...

I am not trying to sound cynical. This is just what I have noticed over the last 30 years of "trying to make it". We (my whole band) are just out there doing it, having fun, checking shit off a list, and when we get positive reactions...cool!! If we win over a crowd? AWESOME. But after doing it for so long, we no longer EXPECT t make it. Do we still dream?? HELL YEAH. We take every opportunity that could get us "there"....but let's be real. All of us are at the top of our game, and have been in various scenes since the 80s. We never made it. We probably never will. Who cares? Music is about the fun of creating and performing for people...

So, to sound cheesy, every time we take the stage and see people engaged in OUR songs we have "made it" - at least for that day.
                    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

You need songs people want to hear, firstly. Let's hear 'em.
                      It's exceptionally hard for bands to break out of the circle of friends fan base simply because it's exceptionally hard to write stuff that will appeal to a larger audience.

The competition is immense. You're competing against seasoned guys that have everything...experience, talent, looks, stage presence etc... except the ability to write songs that will garner a larger audience.

My useless opinion is: If you live in an area where getting gigs isn't a problem, you'd have much more success just playing covers on the local circuit.

Many of the bands today that release albums and do some touring have members that still have day jobs.
                      96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Release albums to people who dig our music, potentially get gigs on festivals, and potentially tour opening for bigger acts, but headlining smaller venues, etc...
                        Having an album doesn't matter. Find/get bandmates, write, rehearse and then try to perform. Book bars and clubs with other bands of similar styles, get people to show up, get people to show up, get people to show up, release an EP, go back to those bars and clubs and instead of opening, maybe shoot for 2nd up slot, get people to show up... once you can get decent booking and a good turnout locally, maybe team up with another band and go on the road, cover your whole region, get people to show up, etc...

Do it because you want to perform, do it because you want to see people pit, do it because you like the bands you will associate with if you play enough shows. Figure if you're lucky a show might pay enough to help you break even for a night.

You'll never get signed or go on tour if you can't draw a crowd and haven't done mulit-regional club circuits on your own. A label is never going to pay you to do any of that unless you can show you've done it well on the road.
                        The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I think music is dead. There are no more people starting bands anymore. No more guys starting bands and being able to get gigs and sell records. Back years ago (in the not so distant past) there were tons of great, unique bands popping up all over the place, in every part of the country/world. Now it's like people are deliberately trying to destroy the music industry. Every route you want to take now is a "NOPE! Can't do that!"

God I hate my fucking generation. I hate them and their stupid hipster fag, bro-country, singer-songwriter, "trap" horse shit! Entitled little Bernie-supporting brats who don't want to work, want everything for free because they've had everything given to them, and thus their culture reflects their lack of ever having to develop any character or substance. The state of things is reflected in the current music. This is why music generally sucks so bad now. There is absolutely no current style or band I can even stand. I'd rather have my fingernails torn out of my hands than listen to pretty much any of it.

I know I'll get someone saying "the music today isn't bad!" Please! Spare me! Just freakin' spare me!

Comment

You certainly don't sound 27.

I'm 27, been in bands since I was 14...knew the 'dream' wasn't happening long ago but I still love playing in bands. If you want to sell all your gear because you can't make millions, go ahead. We need less musicians like you anyway. I play because I LOVE it, the same that ANY good true band does.

And please, don't blame 'your generation'. There has ALWAYS been shit music along side good ones. Good bands in the 70's competed with disco, bands in the 80's competed with madonna and belinda carlisle-esque pop, good bands in the 90's-00's competed with boy bands....the list goes on. Use it as inspiration...Kurt Cobain created a sound to go against everything going on at the time, as did many other bands.

I have friends that tour internationally and still come home to a day-job. They do it cause they love it, simple as that. Hell, I know guys making a full-time living with music, but it is mainly teaching / cover bands.

Let us know how you feel once you're done your tantrum.

Comment

I don't know how the situation in the US is, but I agree with last posts by Xenophobe, Mudlark, Mark and Kamanda

I think music is dead.
                              In my opinion, music isn't dead, it's in a sort of constant evolution.
                              But...if you REALLY think it's dead and you feel like someone that miss the boat...STOP playing guitar and try to find another hobby, at least it wouldn't be wasted time.
                              Trying to have success and career in music, sport (or whatever) requires a very strong willpower...it is also a sort of natural selection. Today much more than in the past.

Originally posted by Mudlark View Post
                              You need songs people want to hear, firstly. Let's hear 'em.
                              It's exceptionally hard for bands to break out of the circle of friends fan base simply because it's exceptionally hard to write stuff that will appeal to a larger audience.

The competition is immense. You're competing against seasoned guys that have everything...experience, talent, looks, stage presence etc... except the ability to write songs that will garner a larger audience.
                              This is the point. I agree 100%
                              And, of course, the more you let the time pass, the more is difficult to be creative and write something never heard. And there's a good thing nowadays: with technology we can reach the mass of the people much earlier than two or three decades ago. This is very good if you have good stuff.

(just to give an example)
                              I was at a Helloween concert two days ago....well, it comes to my mind that K.Hansen was just 27 when he left Helloween to start again with a new band and new musicians....and I think that things went pretty good for GammaRay.

Comment

Working...
                              X