No announcement yet.

Do you think its rude?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a Facebook account for one reason: on rare occasion there's something I want to see on there, and I do mean RARE. I don't have Twitter or any of the others.
    Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

yes, very rude. The new generation will be socially inept in the REAL world. I like Facebook too but virtual friends are not the same face to face, real world friendship.

I work in tech and have a bunch of folks walking around staring at their smartphones and not paying attention where they are walking. I'm not a big man but pretty strong and solid center of gravity so I'm hard to knock off my feet...I actually enjoy seeing it coming because I play dumb and pretend I'm back playing hockey and let them walk right into me. I had an incident where my reaction (hard to break the habit of exploding into contact like a body check) where the dude almost lost his footing. I make no effort to apologize as its not my place to avoid an ass-hat walking blindly staring at his phone...now I like seeing it but I think they are learning not to do that or they could get knocked on their asses for not paying attention.
      shawnlutz.com

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Lutz View Post
        The new generation will be socially inept in the REAL world.
        Thing is, if everyone is behaving like that, there will be nobody to notice..
        Popular is not the same as good
        Rare is not the same as valuable
        Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
          I like social media. Am on most of them. I share a LOT of my opinion and things that I find interesting, but not a lot of personal information. No need to check in to every place visited or share pics of every meal eaten. People have unfriended me, I'm sure many of my friends ignore or gloss over a lot of my posts, but I'm just doing my thing and people can like it or not. I like to stimulate conversation and love it when someone engages, even if they have a differing view. If I'm wrong or misinformed about something, show me. Only sucky thing is the time differences - Clevo John & I were talking yesterday morning (my time) on FB when I got off the train for work. It was probably evening for him in Cleveland. By the time I can get back into it, it's 8 hours later.

I absolutely agree that it's rude to be constantly checking your phone or otherwise interacting with social media when you are with other people. I also think it's rude if you can't pause a phone conversation for a second to say thank you to the barista who's handing you your coffee or stay off your phone for the length of the transaction while you're paying for groceries. Bit of respect. Plus it's good to actually converse with people.

Everyone in my house can be on FB, Twitter, whatever when we're just sitting in each other's company watching tv and that's fine. We'll often share funny things that come up on each other's timelines, handing our phones back and forth. But not when you're in a conversation with someone. If we're talking, you can put the phone down, pay attention to the conversation and ignore that alert for a couple of minutes. If it's an emergency, they'll phone.

I don't think it's necessarily all about people's esteem issues. Obviously some people are obsessed with gathering "likes", hence all the "like if you drank from a garden hose & didn't die" or "share this photo so that this baby can get the surgery they need" bullshit. The constant checking is often more about habit then about a need for validation. Like smokers needing to fiddle with something in their hands. Less concerned with people liking their shit, and more with missing out on some activity on their timeline & being too late to respond to it
          my 3rd cousin's dentist's assistants' former best friend's dog likes the fact that Vitty G likes that he can talk to Clevey J from Toowoomba to Cleveland in a flash, all the while Clevey J likes that Vitty G likes it all the same !
          Holy fucki'n smokes what a mess haa haa!! (I'm just jealous. I like that I'm jealous. who else likes that I'm jealous? I need likes motherfuckers!! Like it!!! Like it!!!!!!!)
          Anyway, JG is right, it's rude, and many of us are guilty of it. It's a god damned world of fucking nerds. everyone is walking around typing, it's truly fuckin' sad. something has to give soon.
          Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

I have been making it a personal crusade to tell people they are rude when they feel compelled to check their phones and respond to texts or emails or social media while in the middle of a conversation. I was hanging out with a bunch of people were all busy texting, emailing, facebooking etc... I got up and jumped on my bike and right before I started it up one of them looked up and asked where I was going? I told him to check his email to find out.
            How rude is it when the waitress or waiter comes up to a table of 6 people asking to take their orders and not one of them looks up because they are all busy on their phones. I'll tell you. Its REALLY rude.

Comment

more rude or more sad is the question? it's simply another form of abject slavery. "look what I had for lunch" "look what I had for dinner" "should I have a white wine with this or a red?"
              "just took a piss" "having a coffee and a snack" 'look at my shoe, holy shit it sucks" "I look like my brother Bosco only he has a human head"

slavery to the most useless fuckin information in the history of mankind. facebook and social media in general has launched the biggest brain drain the human race has ever experienced.and I've got one of my feet kinda stuck in it, fuckin' sad.

Comment

Originally posted by atomic charvel guy View Post
                "just took a piss" "having a coffee and a snack"
                I drank coffee and it had to go take a piss. I was about to post about it, but I dropped my phone in the stream. So when I came out, I borrowed someone's phone to get on facebook to tell you that I dropped my phone while taking a piss after drinking coffee.

Comment

One memorable Facebook post was from a high school friend of mine who is stinking filthy rich. He always posts things about all the fancy places he goes to or he posts pics of his daughter and wife to get comments on how "hot" they are. Anyway... he posts a picture of an SUV that is really smashed up. It happens to be a Mercedes ML350. Its his 16 year old sons 16th birthday present. The Mercedes is only 2 weeks old. His comment is...
                  "its a parents responsibility to buy their child a quality safe car.. he walked out of this accident without a scratch".
                  I told him to stick it in his ass and stop showing off.

Comment

Perhaps he should have invested some of his money on driving lessons.
                    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by atomic charvel guy View Post
                      my 3rd cousin's dentist's assistants' former best friend's dog likes the fact that Vitty G likes that he can talk to Clevey J from Toowoomba to Cleveland in a flash, all the while Clevey J likes that Vitty G likes it all the same !
                      Holy fucki'n smokes what a mess haa haa!! (I'm just jealous. I like that I'm jealous. who else likes that I'm jealous? I need likes motherfuckers!! Like it!!! Like it!!!!!!!)
                      ++++++++1 (or should that be +many?)

Tommy dude, I'm right there with your 3rd cousin's dentist's assistants' former best friend's dog. I also like that I'm able to chat with my mum in real time on Facebook this morning while I'm here and she's in San Diego.

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                      I have been making it a personal crusade to tell people they are rude when they feel compelled to check their phones and respond to texts or emails or social media while in the middle of a conversation. I was hanging out with a bunch of people were all busy texting, emailing, facebooking etc... I got up and jumped on my bike and right before I started it up one of them looked up and asked where I was going? I told him to check his email to find out.
                      How rude is it when the waitress or waiter comes up to a table of 6 people asking to take their orders and not one of them looks up because they are all busy on their phones. I'll tell you. Its REALLY rude.
                      Totally agree. I've stopped explaining to people that maybe I didn't immediately respond to them because I'm driving, paying for my groceries, having a conversation, left my phone on the bedside table. Only exception is, I will occasionally respond with a hearty "ooooooh, jerking it SO hard right now...."

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
                      I drank coffee and it had to go take a piss. I was about to post about it, but I dropped my phone in the stream. So when I came out, I borrowed someone's phone to get on facebook to tell you that I dropped my phone while taking a piss after drinking coffee.
                      My new phone is sealed and waterproof. So now I can drop it in piss any time I want. #nofear
                      Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
                        you keep those up to the minute updates and highlights coming man!! and i'll press the like button!

Comment

[QUOTE=VitaminG;1613153]++++++++1 (or should that be +many?)

Tommy dude, I'm right there with your 3rd cousin's dentist's assistants' former best friend's dog. I also like that I'm able to chat with my mum in real time on Facebook this morning while I'm here and she's in San Diego.

and just why aren't you my friend? or liking any of my fuckin' posts god damnit? if I don't get likes, I get volatile. find me gary!! find me!!!!!! haaa haaa

Comment

Honestly, if it weren't modestly (very modestly) useful for keeping in touch with a few otherwise lost long-distance friends and relatives, I wouldn't be on FB at all. It's amazing how many kooks are on there. And even people I know to be utterly normal in real life just can't help themselves from posting constant, relentless BS nonsense. I mean, I don't give a flying fuck about the umpteenth picture of your freaking cat, or what shade of brown your poop was today. But Tommy's right that it has really tapped into society's vapid, attention whore, narcissistic element. There are a great deal of people who just NEED that constant attention and validation from others. They need to get a real life.

Comment

I've been in need of attention long before the internet, and fake-book, aka, ache-book, aka, face-ache is a great place to escalate the nonsense ain't it shred?
                              Vapid!! that's my word shred, I have missed it so!
                              Last edited by atomic charvel guy; 07-16-2014, 02:14 PM.

Comment

LOL. Maybe that'll be the next band name, Tommy - the Vapid Attention Whores. LOL

Comment

Working...
                                X