Do you think its rude?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you think its rude?

When somebody is constantly checking their cell phone while you are talking to them or is compelled to check every facebook status update or text message they get during a conversation or at the dinner table.

I do. I try instituting a NO CELL PHONE policy during dinner whether eating at home with the family or out with friends. I can see kids wanting to stay connected to all of their friends but I think that for adults its RUDE.

I consider it rude from kids as well

~

Fuck your 10K online friends, you're just something that boosts their friends list and they can show you of as 'someone interesting' just to make themselves look
    more interesting
    I can shoot you, post you on YT and they wouldn't even know they received that umpthteenth "LOL" from the same guy in the video that is now hanging by his testicles with a hole in his head they're sharing with their shitload of friends

Fuck Social Media

Oh,... if you read this, please "Like" me on FB

Last edited by Nightbat; 07-07-2014, 03:42 PM.
    "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

It is such an addiction for some people, especially those with low self-esteem on Facebook who need "likes" to feel good about themselves.

I recently started dating a girl who is not on Facebook, one of the few, it is a freaking breath of fresh air.
      Jackson KV2
      Jackson KE1T
      Jackson KE1F
      Jackson SL1

Comment

Just because I am a dick...
        I have texted people that are paying more attention to the phone.

Hey, are you enjoying your dinner.

This seems like a good way to communicate with you.

Anything good on FaceBook, you want to share.

Yeah, honey, I will be home in a few hours. The meeting is running late.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
          When somebody is constantly checking their cell phone while you are talking to them or is compelled to check every facebook status update or text message they get during a conversation or at the dinner table.

I do. I try instituting a NO CELL PHONE policy during dinner whether eating at home with the family or out with friends. I can see kids wanting to stay connected to all of their friends but I think that for adults its RUDE.
          I used to think it was rude... times have changed.
          The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I refuse to be apart of the NSA spygrid that is Facebook. I can't believe so many people give up so much of their privacy via Facebook. I've seen too many marriages, families, etc. split up because of it. My gf is on it constantly and I constantly tell her to "quit Face-fucking". She keeps it up, I call her a "Face-fucker".

Maybe it's a good thing I'm not on Facebook. I wouldn't have any friends in less than 24 hours

Comment

I like social media. Am on most of them. I share a LOT of my opinion and things that I find interesting, but not a lot of personal information. No need to check in to every place visited or share pics of every meal eaten. People have unfriended me, I'm sure many of my friends ignore or gloss over a lot of my posts, but I'm just doing my thing and people can like it or not. I like to stimulate conversation and love it when someone engages, even if they have a differing view. If I'm wrong or misinformed about something, show me. Only sucky thing is the time differences - Clevo John & I were talking yesterday morning (my time) on FB when I got off the train for work. It was probably evening for him in Cleveland. By the time I can get back into it, it's 8 hours later.

I absolutely agree that it's rude to be constantly checking your phone or otherwise interacting with social media when you are with other people. I also think it's rude if you can't pause a phone conversation for a second to say thank you to the barista who's handing you your coffee or stay off your phone for the length of the transaction while you're paying for groceries. Bit of respect. Plus it's good to actually converse with people.

Everyone in my house can be on FB, Twitter, whatever when we're just sitting in each other's company watching tv and that's fine. We'll often share funny things that come up on each other's timelines, handing our phones back and forth. But not when you're in a conversation with someone. If we're talking, you can put the phone down, pay attention to the conversation and ignore that alert for a couple of minutes. If it's an emergency, they'll phone.

I don't think it's necessarily all about people's esteem issues. Obviously some people are obsessed with gathering "likes", hence all the "like if you drank from a garden hose & didn't die" or "share this photo so that this baby can get the surgery they need" bullshit. The constant checking is often more about habit then about a need for validation. Like smokers needing to fiddle with something in their hands. Less concerned with people liking their shit, and more with missing out on some activity on their timeline & being too late to respond to it
              Hail yesterday

Comment

John I couldn't agree with you more. It is very rude and is considered highly disrespectful in my family to use that cell phone at the dinner table.

Comment

I have a facebook. But I lean more towards Lepard's way, I don't participate. I like my privacy.
                  Plus, if I am enjoying myself, am I really going to stop everything to post 'having so much fun'. NO, I am going to continue having the fun. The world doesn't need to know my business anymore.
                  I dated a girl that wanted to be friend me on FB. I said "Why? Don't you know my number? You can call me anytime to see how I am doing."

With the exception of two relatives and one classmate from middle school, everyone is from out of town. The people that do not have regular access to me. A regular who's who (or is it Who's That) of Daytona, Nashville, Austin, and LA. But no one within 200 miles of my main residence.

Comment

Facebook is how I (and everyone else) do the majority of promotion.

It's pretty handy. Spend 10 minutes sending invites to a show, or hours on end putting up flyers. Guess which one works.
                    "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

Comment

I quit Facebook over three years ago. Haven't missed it one damn bit. I'm with John, it's rude as hell from anyone texting while having a conversation with someone else. I don't tolerate it from anyone. I've pissed off my share of people by telling them they should turn the cell phone or computer off and get a life.

Comment

Originally posted by Axegrinder87 View Post
                        Facebook is how I (and everyone else) do the majority of promotion.

It's pretty handy. Spend 10 minutes sending invites to a show, or hours on end putting up flyers. Guess which one works.
                        I don't have a problem with social media.. facebook. I use it too to promote shows. What I am talking about is when you get together with a bunch of people for lunch or a few beers or just to hang out and most of them are staring into their phones, responding to texts, taking selfies and generally not paying attention to anything except their phones. Its friggin rude.
                        Typical example. I am talking to somebody who obviously is only interested in whats going on in their phone. They look up every once in a while but its easy to tell they would rather be updating their status or checking other peoples status than physically talking to somebody.
                        I have been to the movies several times where people spent the majority of the movie interacting with their phone.
                        I have friends who do NOTHING but talk about their phones, text into their phones, take pictures with their phones etc... They feel compelled to let everybody know what they are doing all the time in REAL TIME.
                        I also have grown to hate the word APP. It sucks. Its boring. Its not important and I really don't care what somebody can do with their stupid phone.

Comment

I told a good friend of mine to shut his Fuggin phone off before I smash it and throw it in the ocean. He was doing nothing but responding to texts, taking selfies etc..
                          That brings up another thing that burns my ass. Selfies.
                          Here is what I think about them.
                          If you are a teenager or younger or a super hot girl in her 20's and you what to show off how hot you are or cool you are.. go for it. That's what Facebook was intended for. If you want to meet people and get dates because you are too chicken to talk to a girl in person.. go for it. That's cool with me.
                          If you are a 40+ adult you should realize that taking selfies is friggin creepy. Especially if you are a guy. Its almost stalker like. Its creepy on a large scale.
                          Most adults post selfies for one reason and one reason only... to show off. Look what I have.. look where I am.... look at how hot my wife is.... look at how better I am doing than you are... ha ha.... you suck and I am great. They live for LIKES and thumbs up and comments. I say FUGGUM.......

Comment

I took my first selfie in the hospital so my friends could see how I looked with a tube sucking my stomach contents out through my nose. I took the second when I finally got out of that hell-hole.
                            GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Basically, I think it comes down to "you're not interesting enough to hold my attention, so I need to do something else, and thank fuck I don't have to go to another room to check my computer I can just do it here so i don't need an excuse and then it's OK because hey everybody does it"...

IMO it's fucking rude, simply because it's the IT version of interrupting. If someone else came up to your table when you're mid conversation and just starting talking or showing you their photos, that'd be unacceptable. So why is the 'remote' version OK, when actually it's worse because the person sitting at the table is complicit in it, if not instigating it?..

And it's not that I hate social media, there's plenty of people that are IM'ing for work, checking emails or whatever. It's not all facebook and instagram.
                              Popular is not the same as good
                              Rare is not the same as valuable
                              Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Working...
                              X