No announcement yet.

Pistol Permit wait in Connecticut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Of course get what feels comfortable to you gun wise. When it comes to caliber though I always thought if you're looking at a .40 S&W check out 10mm instead. Depending on the load a 10mm can have ballistics similar to the .40, or the hotter 10mm loads can be in Magnum territory. OTOH you can't load .40 up to 10mm levels. I'm liking 10mm more and more
    Rudy
    www.metalinc.net

Comment

Roody, I know alot of people swear by .40's, 10mm, .45 G.A.P. and.357 Sig. Those are high pressure rounds. My opinion, and it is MY opinion, is that these rounds are a solution to a non-existent problem. These rounds made their way into the world due to the incompetence of the FBI.

The short version of this story is the FBI carried 1911's in .45 caliber and got into a shootout where they claimed, they needed more capacity. Then the FBI spent millions of dollars to convert over to the 9mm. They get into another shootout in Florida where they claim they needed more power. Which is why the 10mm was born. It originally had almost the same characteristics as the .41 Magnum. The FBI found many if not most of their agents could not handle the recoil of this round. The 10mm was weakened ,but, it was found to be an unfavorable round. Then along came the .40 S&W. The problem with the .40 is that when it was first introduced, it was built on nothing more than a modded 9mm frame making it kick harder and have more muzzle flip than it should have. Of course, recent designs have helped that issue. The .357 Sig is just a necked down .40. The .45 G.A.P is a really hot .45.

This is where my thoughts kick in. I have less muzzle flip with my .45 ACP and little to no muzzle flip with my 9mm compared to all those other rounds. My guns are all either .45ACP or 9mm. I can control both. I like the 9mm as I can stay on target as fast as I pull the trigger. Again, it is better to be on target alot/all the time than to be off target or sometimes on target with a high pressure round.

Also, the higher pressure rounds really do wear a gun out more quickly. I know many guys with 9mm Glocks that have 30-40 thousand rounds through them and the gun works flawlessly with factory original parts. I personally haven't met someone with a Glock .40 or any other .40 that can say that.....and if they have, barrels, slides, springs, etc. has been changed. -Lou
      " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

Lou... I don't have 30-40 k rounds through my G22 yet, but close to 5k so far and it's been flawless. All original parts, no mods.
        There are guys on the Glock forums who have put more than 50k rounds through older G22's and report no issues as well.
        You get the usual noobs who limp wrist the shit out of their guns and blame the gun, but the guys who shoot regularly know the truth.

You've just been hanging out with the wrong crowd.

As a side note, Glock announced they are discontinuing their full frame 10mm and .45 auto pistols as well as all of the "C" models.
        I do hear rumors that they may release a single stack .45. I know those are rumors, but imagine a Glock 1911...
        Last edited by rjohnstone; 09-25-2013, 06:36 PM.
        -Rick

Comment

Glock parts are cheap. A spring is about $10. A barrel is about $125-ish. I just see no positive use for these high pressure rounds. In my opinion, they are way over-hyped. Again though, these are my opinions and I do not want to deter someone from buying what they are comfortable with,but, I want to get them to think openly and not follow along and be sheep.- Lou
          " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

Originally posted by LouSiffer View Post
            I do not want to deter someone from buying what they are comfortable with,but, I want to get them to think openly and not follow along and be sheep.- Lou
            I agree with you on this part 100%.
            Buy what works for you. That's what I did... well and also what I could afford.
            A genuine Colt 1911 has been calling my name for a long time, but way to much $$$.
            -Rick

Comment

I wasn't pointing out the 10mm as the best option, that's a whole different debate. I was just thinking if its a toss up between .40 S&W and 10mm, I see nothing the .40 can do that the 10mm can't do or even do better. I've read the same stories mentioned regarding the FBI and development of the 10mm and .40 S&W rounds as well. I have not heard anything but rumors of guns not holding up to the 10mm round though. BTW, I see that recently Rock River introduced a 1911 style 10mm. That makes a 10mm gun a bit more affordable as before that you had the Colt Delta Elite and Kimber, or Glock for a non 1911 style. I'm hoping more manufacturers get into the 10mm market.
              Rudy
              www.metalinc.net

Comment

I know one thing, I'd pick up a 10mm long before I'd carry the 40 Short & Weak. My problem with 10mm is that it's not a readily accessible round, but 9mm, 45ACP and 40S&W are. I agree in buying and carrying what feels most comfortable and gives you the most confidence. There's no need to buy a gun that you don't like and don't feel good with, because odds are you won't carry it. That defeats the purpose.

I had a Glock 22 that I absolutely hated. It was a nice gun, but I just could not gel with it or 40S&W. Even after putting at least 3,000 rounds through it I could not make myself like it, and I damn sure tried. I ended up trading it for another 1911.

Comment

Another point to consider: 9mm is the most commonly-available. Even if you find yourself in a "tv show" scenario where, by some bizarre twist of fate, you find yourself alone against several equally-armed targets, you drop them, their ammo es su ammo.

As for the bullshit from the Milford PD, your name has been put on their shit list. Don't be surprised if they pull you over on a daily basis, and NEVER be without your permit, even if you're without the gun. Even if all you're doing is checking your mailbox at your house or picking up the newspaper or watering the lawn, have your permit.
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I'm actually leaning to the .40 S&W. The round is pretty powerful, can carry more in a mag than a .45 and for some reason, no one seems to like .40 as much as 9mm and .45, which means it's almost always in stock and the price isn't much more than 9mm, from what I've been seeing.

I really want to get an H&K USP .40 or Walther P99 in .40; I just love the look and feel of the P99 and the reliability of the USP. I know Glocks are really reliable, but I can't get used to the trigger safety in the trigger, it feels awkward.
                    Jackson ke3 kelly trans blue
                    Jackson Dk2m bengal with emg 81/85

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                      Another point to consider: 9mm is the most commonly-available. Even if you find yourself in a "tv show" scenario where, by some bizarre twist of fate, you find yourself alone against several equally-armed targets, you drop them, their ammo es su ammo.
                      It's another reason I like the G22.
                      Every cop in Phoenix and Scottsdale carries one.
                      The Supervisors have mag buckets in their trunks with roughly 50 fully loaded G22 mags in them.
                      In the "highly unlikely TV scenario" where one provides aid to downed officer, A G22 owner can always grab a spare mag or two from him if one runs out while returning fire.
                      -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by Maiden89 View Post
                        I'm actually leaning to the .40 S&W. The round is pretty powerful, can carry more in a mag than a .45 and for some reason, no one seems to like .40 as much as 9mm and .45, which means it's almost always in stock and the price isn't much more than 9mm, from what I've been seeing.

I really want to get an H&K USP .40 or Walther P99 in .40; I just love the look and feel of the P99 and the reliability of the USP. I know Glocks are really reliable, but I can't get used to the trigger safety in the trigger, it feels awkward.
                        Can't go wrong with the HK USP, and for that matter a Glock 22 or a Smith & Wesson M&P. I'd avoid the Walther P99 like the plague though. For the money, Taurus makes a nice inexpensive pistol also.

Comment

I am leaning towards 9mm. When I was at the range I shot the 9,40 and 45. I thought that for 1 or 2 shots I was equally on target with all of them. It was popping off the 3rd or 4th quickly where I found that the 9mm stayed on target. They were all Glocks. I did try a few other brands. I have a ton to learn about everything. I want a gun that I can conceal easily. I can't print at work. We don't have a gun free zone at work but the owners of my company don't want to see a gun or a print of one. I also take Metro North Railroad in Connecticut to work and back everyday so I need to find out if its legal to carry on the train. I was thinking of possibly getting a big gun for the range and home defense and a small pocket sub compact for everyday. One of my buddies has a Sig P380 that's very small and fits in his pocket with no printing. I am going to shopping tomorrow and I intend on asking a ton of questions.

Comment

Originally posted by Razor View Post
                            Can't go wrong with the HK USP, and for that matter a Glock 22 or a Smith & Wesson M&P. I'd avoid the Walther P99 like the plague though. For the money, Taurus makes a nice inexpensive pistol also.
                            I've heard of quality issues with the Walther P99. It seems that Smith & Wesson were making the P99 for a time, from what I've read online; these were the ones that people said sucked, but the ones Walther made Germany seem to be better. I think I'll probably go with the H&K USP. I've never heard anyone say anything bad about these and the test H&K did with these speak for themselves.

A member of a gun forum was selling an H&K USP .40 with 5 factory mags for $500, I think it's still for sell, but I don't have the cash to spend right now It's been there for a while too, I guess people really don't like the .40 S&W round.

@jgcable, take your time handling all of the handguns you can. I'm sure the 9mm would fit your needs fine and the ammo is pretty inexpensive (online anyway, not sure you'll be able to order if your in CT though) so you'll be able to hit the range more often. Post a NGD thread when you get it too.
                            Jackson ke3 kelly trans blue
                            Jackson Dk2m bengal with emg 81/85

Comment

Get a Glock 19, a quality IWB kydex holster, load it with 124gr Speer Gold Dot's and don't think twice.

Comment

If you go HK, get the P30. The ergonomics are FAR superior to the USP series. And whatever you do: avoid their DA/SA triggers. The light LEM is where it's at.

Comment

Working...
                                X