No announcement yet.

Nailbomb is the bomb!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Love the stock JB in my Aqua #4 Wildcard. It's a matter of matching the pickup to the guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by snowblind56 View Post
      I've got Bare Knuckle or Motor City Pickups in just about every guitar I own. I've been through just about every pickup that Duncan and Dimarzio make. For me, what it comes down to is all pickup companies make quality pickups, although some might not fit your style or rig. For me, the BKP's and MCP's have a clarity and presence that that the mass produced pickups don't have. At this point, I'm so used to the clarity that I have a hard time going back to Duncans, even though I do like them. A lot of it also has to do with the guitar that you have them in. I have a set of Nailbombs in my DK1 that are too bright, but they sounded great in my PRS CE24. The Nailbombs are getting switched out for Holy Divers, which should be better.
      Now that you mention Motor City, I'd like to try their Angeldust pickup. Haven't really run across any used ones yet. I see other MCP for sale on guitar forums but hardly ever the Angeldust. Have you tried that one before?
      Rudy
      www.metalinc.net

Comment

Originally posted by roodyrocker View Post
        Now that you mention Motor City, I'd like to try their Angeldust pickup. Haven't really run across any used ones yet. I see other MCP for sale on guitar forums but hardly ever the Angeldust. Have you tried that one before?
        I haven't tried the Angel Dust yet. I had a Detroiter in a PRS Singlecut which was a sweet pickup, but a bad choice for that guitar. Hot Heads in an SG which was a good pickup, but I sold that guitar. and I have had Solutions, Nukes, an Afwayu in my Soloists. I was not a fan of the Solution. It was too stiff sounding for me. The Nukes are ridiculously hot but sound great and the Afwayu could be the perfect pickup for a Soloist, at least for me. It's hot, but it has this pissed off attitude that I haven't heard in any pickups before, and I've tried a lot of pickups. I think the Angel Dust is similar to an Afwayu, but a little less hot and a little less bottom end, I could be wrong on that though. If you have any questions about them, send an email or call Wade at MCP. He really knows his stuff and is more than willing to chat about gear.

Comment

I haven't tried the Angel Dust yet. I had a Detroiter in a PRS Singlecut which was a sweet pickup, but a bad choice for that guitar. Hot Heads in an SG which was a good pickup, but I sold that guitar. and I have had Solutions, Nukes, an Afwayu in my Soloists. I was not a fan of the Solution. It was too stiff sounding for me. The Nukes are ridiculously hot but sound great and the Afwayu could be the perfect pickup for a Soloist, at least for me. It's hot, but it has this pissed off attitude that I haven't heard in any pickups before, and I've tried a lot of pickups. I think the Angel Dust is similar to an Afwayu, but a little less hot and a little less bottom end, I could be wrong on that though. If you have any questions about them, send an email or call Wade at MCP. He really knows his stuff and is more than willing to chat about gear.
          I was just hoping to find a used one at a good price to try out. If I don't come across one I'll eventually order a new one.
          Rudy
          www.metalinc.net

Comment

There's also the C-Bomb, which is the Nailbomb with a ceramic magnet.

Comment

Good pickups, but not worth the price tag IMHO. I have tried several BKP's and I think that a good Seymour Duncan is hard to beat!

Comment

Originally posted by roodyrocker View Post
                I have an MCP Angel Dust in an alder body strat, sounds big, open and mean. Great pickups. I also have several BNPs too. I agree with snowblind, once you use these pickups its tough to go back to duncans.

Comment

Originally posted by slowhand66 View Post
                  I have an MCP Angel Dust in an alder body strat, sounds big, open and mean. Great pickups. I also have several BNPs too. I agree with snowblind, once you use these pickups its tough to go back to duncans.
                  I understand why some people don't like BKP's. They are expensive and they have a unique sound to them. If someone has been using Duncans for 20 years and are pleased with them, it would be easy to skeptical of the hype that comes with Bare Knuckles.

Comment

I understand why some people don't like BKP's. They are expensive and they have a unique sound to them. If someone has been using Duncans for 20 years and are pleased with them, it would be easy to skeptical of the hype that comes with Bare Knuckles.
                    I'd agree to that in part- I've used Duncans, Dimarzios and Bill Lawrences for 26 + years and have come to appreciate their characteristics . However, I'm always on the hunt for a better approximation of the tone I hear in my head and am willing to try anything. In my case, the BKP's didn't cut it. Doesn't make them bad just isn't what I'm look for...

Comment

I do know that the Aftermath and a few other models are very skewed tonally into that death metal and djent arena and that is not for me. The Nailbomb however is far more balanced and sounds excellent to my ears. I am not a big JB hater but I think it lacks in the bass range and gets too loose. The Nailbomb is much more focused but also versatile. I think you just have to experiment (if you can afford to) and find the model that speaks to you. No right or wrong.
                      "Rule number one: In my van, it's Rush. All Rush, all the time. No exceptions. Rule number two: Nobody touch the red button. And I mean never touch the red button. Most importantly, rule number three: There's no jerking it in my van!"

Kemper 600 watt Profiling Amp
                      ENGL Powerball II
                      Peavey 5150 4x12 Slant Cab
                      Mesa 4 x 12 Slant Cab
                      Marshall 2x12 Cab

2010 Jackson SL2H Trans Blue
                      1988 Charvel 750XL Trans Cherry Burst
                      1989 Charvel 750XL Trans Cherry Burst Hardtail
                      2011 Jackson DK2M Blue
                      2011 Jackson DK2M Black
                      1987 Charvel Model 2 White
                      2012 Charvel Dimartini Crossed Swords
                      1991 Charvel Dinky 080-SH Blue Crackle
                      1990 Grover Jackson Dinky Trans Purple
                      2010 Jackson Mutt Slime Green
                      2012 Charvel Jap Pro Mod Candy Blue
                      2006 Gibson Les Paul Custom Black
                      2003 Gibson Les Paul R9 Custom Shop Reissue
                      2013 Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro Silverburst
                      2013 Epiphone Plus Top Pro w/ Bonamassa pups
                      2014 PRS SE Custom 24 Emerald Green
                      1987 Tokai Silver Star Strat

Comment

If I got any more BNP to try out they would be the Nailbomb or Rebel Yells. From MCP it would be the Angeldust. Most of my guitars now have either Duncan Distortion, JB, or Screamin Demons and a couple with Custom Customs, or Dimarzio Tone Zone, Super Distortion and some with EMG's. I've found good ones from just about everybody
                        Rudy
                        www.metalinc.net

Comment

I finally got myself a Nailbomb, the alnico model. It's installed in my Charvel model 6 in place of the Duncan JB it had before.

Well, it is definitely a great sounding pickup. It's more articulate and well balanced than the JB. It's tighter too. BUT in my opinion the JB still has its special "mojo" that is hard to beat...lol I mean, the JB has a strong personality, while the Nailbomb sounded more conservative and kinda generic to my ears. I still need to play some more with it, but these are my first impressions.
                          Last edited by MarceloBR; 06-04-2013, 01:24 PM.

Comment

I just put a Black Sabbath Pup in my RR-1 that would bite the head off Ozzy's PP!!!
                            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Never found a BK pick up that really thrilled me.
                              Good for cleans like any Korean pick up IMO
                              Too many boutique winders out there that make much better products than BK.
                              Jim Rolph.
                              Lindy Fralin.
                              MHD.
                              Fuelie.
                              Skatterbrain. just to name a few.
                              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                              X