Nailbomb is the bomb!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nailbomb is the bomb!

I had heard some good things about the Bareknuckle Pickups so decided to bite the bullet so to speak and buy one to try out. After listening to the You Tube vids and the sound bytes on-line, I decided to go with the Nailbomb as it had a good mix of modern high gain tone with vintage 80's metal that I was looking for. I installed it into my white 1987 Model 2, wired it straight in without a cap...just the hot and the grounds. Used a 500K SD pot and the stock jack. I have to say this is the best sounding passive pickup I have ever heard. You can get the deepest darkest chugs effortlessly and back off the gain (just a little) and get epic 80's Metal tones. Superior note definition and doesn't get muddy at all even at the highest gain setting and diming the bass. This pickup is a beast! I play through a Marshall JMD:1 and a closed back Orange 2 x 12 and it sounds huge. Also plugged into a Peavy 6505+ 1 x12 combo and that one will absolutely rip your face off. I have to say the pickup is well worth the $140 I paid for it on the Bay. I ordered a second one to put into a DeMartini Crossed Swords I am having painted by Mike Learn. What are your experiences with the BKPs? I am personally sold on them. I know that This Thread is Worthless Without Pics...I will upload a pick of the Model 2 tonight!

"Rule number one: In my van, it's Rush. All Rush, all the time. No exceptions. Rule number two: Nobody touch the red button. And I mean never touch the red button. Most importantly, rule number three: There's no jerking it in my van!"

Kemper 600 watt Profiling Amp
    ENGL Powerball II
    Peavey 5150 4x12 Slant Cab
    Mesa 4 x 12 Slant Cab
    Marshall 2x12 Cab

2010 Jackson SL2H Trans Blue
    1988 Charvel 750XL Trans Cherry Burst
    1989 Charvel 750XL Trans Cherry Burst Hardtail
    2011 Jackson DK2M Blue
    2011 Jackson DK2M Black
    1987 Charvel Model 2 White
    2012 Charvel Dimartini Crossed Swords
    1991 Charvel Dinky 080-SH Blue Crackle
    1990 Grover Jackson Dinky Trans Purple
    2010 Jackson Mutt Slime Green
    2012 Charvel Jap Pro Mod Candy Blue
    2006 Gibson Les Paul Custom Black
    2003 Gibson Les Paul R9 Custom Shop Reissue
    2013 Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro Silverburst
    2013 Epiphone Plus Top Pro w/ Bonamassa pups
    2014 PRS SE Custom 24 Emerald Green
    1987 Tokai Silver Star Strat

I thought you had just discovered Cavalera, Cazares, and Newport's 90's side project. BTW - Nailbomb's Point Blank release is worth a listen too.

I have an original (1987?) Duncan Sh-8 Invader in a Fusion. It is a heavy chugger too. I wonder how these 2 pickups would compare.

Comment

Originally posted by catzodellamarina View Post
      I thought you had just discovered Cavalera, Cazares, and Newport's 90's side project.
      haha, me too!

Comment

Originally posted by BigE13 View Post
        What are your experiences with the BKPs?
        Overpriced. I have a warpig (that I got for free in the case from a GC purchase). It sounds good, but I can get other pickups to do the same.

Comment

I have a Bareknuckles Pain Killer in my USA Charvel. It's different than what I expected. It's actually a pretty "clean" sounding distortion pickup. Not sure if I'm going to play around with different pot values or what just yet. Others by them I'd like to try are the Nailbomb like you have, Rebel Yell, and Miracle Man. Just have to get them at good prices. Not willing to spend new prices on them at this point.
          Rudy
          www.metalinc.net

Comment

I agree that they are some of the most clear sounding pickups ever. I have the Aftermaths that I wasn't too fond of. Very ice-picky. I don't think they are worth the $100 premium over other pickups that are just a hair not as clear. I have DiMarzios and Bill Lawrence pickups that are almost as clear.

Comment

I stayed away from the Aftermaths for that very reason. The Nailbomb is way better balanced in the bass and mids...not muddy but not ice picky either. It is a very good pup. I do agree that they would be fantastic around the $65 - $75 range!

"Rule number one: In my van, it's Rush. All Rush, all the time. No exceptions. Rule number two: Nobody touch the red button. And I mean never touch the red button. Most importantly, rule number three: There's no jerking it in my van!"

ENGL Powerball II
              Mesa 4 x 12 Slant Cab
              Marshall 2x12 Cab

2011 Jackson DK2M Blue
              2011 Jackson DK2M Black

Comment

All that matters is that you love the tone. I have several axes that are just "it" when I plug them in every time.

Comment

Dino Cazeres in Nailbomb? I thought that was purely Max Cavalera's and Alex Newport's brainchild?

Also, not much love for BK here, but the Nailbomb is an awesome pickup!

Comment

Have a Holy Diver in the bridge position of a Hamer Cali and I'm not digging it. It arrived fucked up to start with and were it not for the effort of my luthier to correct it, I'd have had to send it back and wait for them to send me a functioning one. Strike One. Then, the p'up sounded okay but nothing really stellar. Kinda blah and without dynamics. Strike Two. Lastly, the damned thing is microphonic at louder volumes. Strike Three.

Comment

Wow, interesting commentary on these pups. I did get a great one for my Model 2 and I have a VHII coming to try our in another Model 2 Mutt. I hope it sounds as good as the sound bites...you would think at $149 (cheapest I have found new) they would be better quality!

ENGL Powerball II
                      Mesa 4 x 12 Slant Cab
                      Marshall 2x12 Cab

2011 Jackson DK2M Blue
                      2011 Jackson DK2M Black

Comment

I've got Bare Knuckle or Motor City Pickups in just about every guitar I own. I've been through just about every pickup that Duncan and Dimarzio make. For me, what it comes down to is all pickup companies make quality pickups, although some might not fit your style or rig. For me, the BKP's and MCP's have a clarity and presence that that the mass produced pickups don't have. At this point, I'm so used to the clarity that I have a hard time going back to Duncans, even though I do like them. A lot of it also has to do with the guitar that you have them in. I have a set of Nailbombs in my DK1 that are too bright, but they sounded great in my PRS CE24. The Nailbombs are getting switched out for Holy Divers, which should be better.

Comment

Can anyone compare the Nailbomb to a Duncan JB? I really want to try this pickup but I feel a strange "guilt" feeling when I consider spending U$150 on a pickup..

Comment

Well, to me the JB sounds muddy and needs a tube screamer before the amp to tighten it up alot. I just never have been able to EQ a JB to my satisfaction although others will swear by them as the absolute staple of rock tone. The Nailbomb is what the JB is not, very tight bottom end, balanced mids and highs, it is quite versatile and the note definition is really what sets it apart. Each note is distinct and doesn't get swallowed up when playing chords and fast riffs. I like it alot but it will certainly be a matter of personal preference and taste. I think if you got one and did not like it, you would have no problem selling it and getting most of your money back, they are not plentiful here in the States yet...I am not rich so price is always a consideration, but I never get guilty feelings when tone chasing...lol

ENGL Powerball II
                            Mesa 4 x 12 Slant Cab
                            Marshall 2x12 Cab

2011 Jackson DK2M Blue
                            2011 Jackson DK2M Black

Comment

Hey, thanks!

I like the JB, I can easily get the tone I like with it (a lot of mids and crunchy). With some amps it gets kinda muddy, but sounds great plugged in my JSX. Sometimes I like to use a boss GE-7 to boost some frequencies and tighten it up a bit. I've played on a mesa road king these days and I took a lot of time to get that tone though..

The guilty feelings usually start around the U$80 range, and the shipping to Brasil is about U$20 more. I'm really afraid to like it a lot and figure my other guitars sound like shit.
                              Last edited by MarceloBR; 03-07-2013, 03:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X