No announcement yet.

Poll: Amp Head Cabinet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cyg, you do such amazing internal work you should come out with a plexiglass or acrylic amp. That would be soooo bad ass!
    You could use a combination of smoked plexi and clear. It would be awesome.

Comment

If you want your amps to reach the heights of Dumble on the hallowed halls of TPG you need more black goop inside.
      "We were sitting on the bus one day and there were 5 of us hanging out. There was only one beer left in the cooler and we actually all took a little cup and split it. It was a pathetic day in a rock and roll when five grown men have to be sitting there sharing a beer. "
      Zakk Wylde

Comment

Originally posted by Devotee View Post
        Mad Photoshop skills FTW... In case you guys haven't realised, i'm bored at work.

That looks awesome!
        We need to work on the bird a little bit, but the lettering looks great on that grille.

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
        superb work. It looks really good on the head

Cyg, I agree with JMV on the tweed jobbie. Either black tolex with the wooden fascia. Or stain or colour the fascia to a darker colour, something that contrasts the tweed but differentiates from the black control panel. Maybe a dark blue, burgundy, something like that? And then pop some blue leds behind the logo to light it up when the amp is on
        I'm with you, especially on the backlighting idea.

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
        I like the logo but I would lose the MUSIC part of it. Makes it sound imported. Many import music companies use MUSIC in their names.

If you want to use a word.. use AMPLIFICATION and make the font smaller so that it fits.

It's always been Cygnus Music, that's why.
        Since 1991 or so.
        Fed tax ID and local licenses and all of that.
        It's registered somewhere but damned if I can find it.

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
        Cyg, you do such amazing internal work you should come out with a plexiglass or acrylic amp. That would be soooo bad ass!
        You could use a combination of smoked plexi and clear. It would be awesome.
        I have installed lexan on my chassis-only heads.
        Maybe I'll expand on that idea, but not too much.

Originally posted by FlyingSkull View Post
        If you want your amps to reach the heights of Dumble on the hallowed halls of TPG you need more black goop inside.

He made some really ugly cabs, or had someone make ugly cabs for him.
        No goop!

Comment

I started a new poll with the logo up at a larger forum.
          Y'all are cool and great and all, just not very large in number.
          And no, it's NOT thatGearSnobPage.
          <cough MyLesPaul cough> if you want to look.

Just search "Cygnus" and you'll find a lot more than I post here.

And, all of the Cygnus branded amps are high gain designs.
          Just not uber-gain like you would like from some amps.
          Last edited by Cygnus X1; 03-01-2013, 07:45 PM.

Comment

Devotee, I think the bird needs to be suggested by small jewels, not drawn out.
            The constellation itself makes the shape well enough.

That's kind of what Todd Jones, the Cygnus owner that made the tweed cab
            did by making the shape in the face cutouts.

Comment

MI Audio have been known to 'goop' their pedals

Hail yesterday

Comment

Comment

Yeah, no GOOP!

Gut shot of my EL34 Cygnus:

Comment

I gotta admit that you really have innovative ideas and that's something that will interest people....whether they will find it crappy or not its their taste...but in the end of the day you will get some reputation about the first head it looks like a pirate's treasure chest!!!! maybe an idea about giving it a name if you haven't yet:think:.

Comment

Goop is the key to blues rock chatter.
                      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Well the polls are closed.
                        And it's Love/Hate, not much in between for the treasure cab.
                        So I'll talk to ulijdavid about the option, along with suggested mods (not quite so wide, and
                        either eliminating or altering the straps).
                        I have a few of the black cabs around and my wife is doing great with the tolex work.

If we settle on a maker for the badge that Devotee designed I think it will be a real capper for that basic cab.
                        I would use tiny jewels for the stars, not white "spots" (bird-shat).
                        Last edited by Cygnus X1; 03-27-2013, 06:37 PM.

Comment

That photoshop does look excellent...

And damn, that looks nice!

Originally posted by Cygnus X1 View Post
                          Yeah, no GOOP!

Gut shot of my EL34 Cygnus:

The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Here's a few cab ideas:

Military-style ammo case (Army green with a stencil logo)
                            80's style boombox
                            Stagecoach strongbox (first pic in the thread is a starting point, just need to change the straps to latch-types)
                            Beat-up red toolbox
                            The obelisk from 2001 of course that would work best as an all-in-one 8x12 combo
                            An Anvil-style 4-space rack where the grill looks like various rack-mounted "talent enhancers", or "replicas" of various preamp/fx/poweramps, to fool onlookers
                            even have the latch-on face cover so it looks authentic.
                            A 12-pack of anything
                            A "plain white wrapper" amp that says "AMP" on it, and the knobs all say "KNOB"
                            A parcel wrapped in brown wrinkly paper and twine
                            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
                              That photoshop does look excellent...

And damn, that looks nice!
                              Thanks man.
                              straycat's amp looks similar on the inside.
                              Except messier!
                              (Not much space).

Newc,
                              Ammo box is taken, and kind of frequent in certain places.
                              Obelisk is great!
                              Not the exact proportion, but the sleek blackness of the Black Hole of Cygnus...wow.

Rackmount Cygnus amps are in the pipeline.

"Plain White Wrapper" with "KNOBS" is also great.

Parcel wrapped is taken, it's called "Early Crate"

Comment

Sucks about the ammo box

I knew Crate used to do cabs that looked like actual crates, but didn't know they did parcel wrapped as well

And not actually rackmounted amps, but a cabinet that was mocked up to look like you had a rack preamp of some sort, an fx unit, and a power amp. That way the celebs you'd provide for could protect their secret weapon from the nosey gear-hounds in the front row - they'd chase down a non-existent preamp trying to cop dude's tone

Maybe get some old/vintage electronics gear like oscilloscopes and medical instruments (EKG, etc) and convert them to head cabs?

Or creative alternatives for knob-function names?
                                "Gain/Drive" becomes "Loss/Walk", or "Cowbell"
                                "Bass" becomes "Carp" or "Catfish" :P

Maybe mark them as astronomical symbols?

Oooooh, a knob layout in the Cygnus constellation pattern. Hmmmm...
                                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                                X