Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can we take a moment to discuss baldness?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can we take a moment to discuss baldness?

Damn it man, my hair is thinning. I try to be a man but I think that I may have female hair lose pattern but with long hair it's hard to tell. Basically I'm not receding in a traditional kind of way at the temples, maybe I am, but it is thinning from temple to temple about 2 inches in from my forehead hairline equally with no sign of any island of safeness above the middle of my forehead, as you'd expect with a male receding pattern, it's kind of going in a chinese 'Queue' style kind of way, but not from ear to ear as they had it. No bald spot, all my other hair is fine, it's like my hairline has suddenly decided to recede, or thin severely, by exactly 2 inches backwards in the space of a year. It happened so fast, that at first I thought it was some kind of nutritional deficiency or something. The weird thing is, everyone I know is suffering the same, maybe there is something in the local water. Even guys with both parents who never suffered any baldness who have thick heads of hair have suddenly developed a 3" bald spot in the space of a year out of the blue, but then I guess, they are the same age as me.

So when is the best time to shave your head? I got thick blonde hair and probably you wouldn't notice if I just had a short hairstyle but my part is getting visibly wider, but I still have loads of it.

Problem is I am self employed and if I shave it, I look really mean and scare people away, kind of a cross between Chris Holmes and Thor, but with really high prominent cheekbones, a majorly square jawline, sunken cheeks and some scars on my forehead. Every time I'd have short hair people assume I have just come back from deployment and step out of my way when I walk on the pavement, when the real marines don't even get noticed when they are out shopping in electrical stores. Hence half the reason I had longer hair in the first place, unless you have delicate features, you just come across as less agressive and more easy going with long hair, plus you save on personal grooming fees.

But I'm asking for experience here, is this the normal thing that seems to happen late 30's early 40's?

Is there some seral stage body transition you go through at this age or something, like a second pubity and hairs start growing on your back and stuff, everywhere else but where you want them? I always thought that if you are gonna go bald then usually, it's in your twenties, otherwise you would gracefully recede. I never realised that even if you have a good hairline and plenty of hair you can still SUDDENLY go bald in your late 30's early 40's, just like a teenager does after pubity?

Fuck this, I can't even be motivated to shave everyday, let along shave my head as well. Would Kerry King look at hard if he had a John C Reilly haircut? Long hair stops your neck being burnt in summer and keeps you warm in winter. I don't want short hair. But I guess it seems that I don't have a choice, unless I opt for a skullet. I guess Rogaine probably would work for me, as I'm only thinning, but what a waste of cash. How do you embrace middle age gracefully? And does this sudden hairloss slow down again when you turn 40?

Anyway I am so glad that the only issue in my life is my hair, because it basically means I truely have nothing to worry about. Happy Days! I just wondered if I was normal or not, physically speaking.
    You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

My hairline receded a bit in the front. It's not that noticable but that's aobut it for heredetary baldness in my family.

And don't feel bad. I've seen poor bastards start balding in their late teens and early 20's.

Comment

I don't feel so gutted as confused on how to embrace my new image and midlle age sort of stuff. I don't mind short hair, but I always end up growing it out again, guess that won't be an option soon eh. I was getting a bit freaked by how fast it goes when it starts and the fact I never receded, it just thinned overnight all over the front. It went from normal to getting near an inch parting in the space of a year. I was wondering what might happen next, like I might start growing a tail or spines might start growing out of my back or something. I really thought it only went fast if it was heritary and you got that in your teens/twenties. Still, I'II probably get laid more with short hair. It's just about OK like a bad Jeff Hanneman at the mo, how the hell he managed to keep his I'II never know, but it's going fast, if it stopped now, it'd be tolerable but soon, it'll be a young Kerry King, then the older version.

Just seems the transition from 'Youthful' look to 'An old diseased dog with mange' look is going a bit fast for my liking. I don't like the old rocker look, think I'II cut it. Maybe welding galavanised steel, eating from old aluminium pans and the constant vibration levels at work I experience daily are finally catching up with me, more likely some gene coding has just kicked in though.

Yeah I feel sorry for the kids that loose it in their youth, make it out of puberty and the acne is settled down and then BAM, they loose their hair right in their prime, must be devastating for them, especially when they are the only ones in their family that get it. OK if they suit a crop but if not, it can be a hell of a thing to happen.

Gotta say though, Kerry King looks younger and more healthy now than he did in 1985 in many respects.

Think I have rapid onset, Lars Ulrich style baldness.
      Last edited by ginsambo; 11-25-2012, 07:22 AM.

Comment

I feel your pain my man

I have really thin hair so I was expecting to be bald in my mid 20's....I've just turned 40 and still have an almost complete coverage although it started moving back from the temples and thinning at the front when I got to my mid 30's ..so buzz cuts for me.

I actually like having really short hair..and if goes now...fuck it, I'm 40 I've had it better than some!

Comment

Originally posted by ginsambo View Post
          I don't feel so gutted as confused on how to embrace my new image and midlle age sort of stuff. I don't mind short hair, but I always end up growing it out again, guess that won't be an option soon eh. I was getting a bit freaked by how fast it goes when it starts and the fact I never receded, it just thinned overnight all over the front. It went from normal to getting near an inch parting in the space of a year. I was wondering what might happen next, like I might start growing a tail or spines might start growing out of my back or something. I really thought it only went fast if it was heritary and you got that in your teens/twenties. Still, I'II probably get laid more with short hair. It's just about OK like a bad Jeff Hanneman at the mo, how the hell he managed to keep his I'II never know, but it's going fast, if it stopped now, it'd be tolerable but soon, it'll be a young Kerry King, then the older version.

Just seems the transition from 'Youthful' look to 'An old diseased dog with mange' look is going a bit fast for my liking. I don't like the old rocker look, think I'II cut it. Maybe welding galavanised steel, eating from old aluminium pans and the constant vibration levels at work I experience daily are finally catching up with me, more likely some gene coding has just kicked in though.

Yeah I feel sorry for the kids that loose it in their youth, make it out of puberty and the acne is settled down and then BAM, they loose their hair right in their prime, must be devastating for them, especially when they are the only ones in their family that get it. OK if they suit a crop but if not, it can be a hell of a thing to happen.

Gotta say though, Kerry King looks younger and more healthy now than he did in 1985 in many respects.

Think I have rapid onset, Lars Ulrich style baldness.

Shit. I know I am getting old if I can remember seeing Kerry King in concert when he still had hair and was skinny while wearing skater clothes

Comment

remember this, if your hair is this or gets thin, the shorter its cut the better it looks. there is nothing as pathetic as a comb over. I have a friend that has really thin hair, its look kinda cheesy cuz he still has it "normal" length. if its thin, cut it short. as mine has thinned out over my 30s I have cut it shorter and it looks far better. if its longer it looks like your trying to hide it and it looks goofy. if mine get thinner, I will go shorter again, and then I will be going the buzz cut route when it gets really thin.
            "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Yeah, that is definitely really old man! But at least you have your hair eh! I actually like short hair too, no shampoo and conditioner from the 99p stores and all that, no wood dust, soil, metal filings, fleas and ticks in your hair. But people do treat you different. I just hope my insane grin will carry me through to show people that I'm still not a grown up, although I think the first thing people will see will be my scars and jawline and they'll run inside their houses and lock all their windows because I will look so brutally macho. Maybe I'II get a big swastica tattooed on my forehead after I've done a Rogaine vs Hairpiece cost benefit analysis.

Comment

Apparently a cure is on the horizon in two years time. It's knowing when at what stage to get it shorter or buzzed though isn't it, there is a lot of self denial ego going on. Is it best to just randomly stop someone in the street and ask them?

Comment

Apparently a cure is on the horizon in two years time. It's knowing when at what stage to get it shorter or buzzed though isn't it, there is a lot of self denial ego going on. Is it best to just randomly stop someone in the street and ask them?
                  I understand what you mean, but for me there is no self denial. there is much more dignity in buzzing your hair off than combing over. I know alot of people that buzz it off and it looks alot better than long and thin.
                  "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Yeah, it's just about passable at the mo, if it continues at this rate, short it will be, if it continues still, then a buzz, if it keeps on, well then I'II be bald.

I see a lot of guys in denial blame the time they bleached it or got ill or something. For me it coincided with having a load of amalgam fillings done a year ago. Seriously, the amalgam was off and didn't set and she (The dentist had to redo them all), plus I grind my teeth, which apparently release mercury vapour. Studies show that people with amalgam fillings have up to five times as much mercury in their systems than people who don't, in fact enough to put them over the safe limits governed by the FDA. It doesn't get there by swallowing bits of fillings, it gets there by a mercury vapour, released everytime you chew, also bacteria create some kind of super meth mercury that is particularly toxic. Apparently the FDA has changed their wording on amalgam.

Whether that has anything to do with loosing my hair over a year, I seriously doubt it does, but more seriously, I hope I don't end up with Alzheimers or something because of it. Still $60 for a hour with the dentist for two fillings on the NHS at a time can't be bad. To put it in perspective, two hundred years ago I would have died of blood poisoning or gangreen last year. The NHS is nothing short of brilliant.

Here is my advice, if you have a thick head of hair and it starts looking really cool out of the blue, like some Cobain surf dude, watch out bevcaiue that is the start of it thinning. That is why it's hardest to bear. Because for the first time in your life it looks straight and doesn't stick out at a 90 degree angle aned actually looks cool no matter what you do with it...but then inevitably, the thinning continues...

I hope it's not some kind of swan song as I've been really horny this last year as well.
                    Last edited by ginsambo; 11-25-2012, 11:36 AM.

Comment

I don't feel so gutted as confused on how to embrace my new image and midlle age sort of stuff. I don't mind short hair, but I always end up growing it out again, guess that won't be an option soon eh.
                      Fuck it Gin, instead of sporting the new generation overcomb (y'know the old electric shear) keep it growing
                      "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Yeah, I was the first to start wearing cowboy boots when they came back into fashion.....yeah just maybe I'II pull it off.

Comment

Originally posted by tonemonster View Post
                          remember this, if your hair is this or gets thin, the shorter its cut the better it looks. there is nothing as pathetic as a comb over. I have a friend that has really thin hair, its look kinda cheesy cuz he still has it "normal" length. if its thin, cut it short. as mine has thinned out over my 30s I have cut it shorter and it looks far better. if its longer it looks like your trying to hide it and it looks goofy. if mine get thinner, I will go shorter again, and then I will be going the buzz cut route when it gets really thin.

If I go bald I'll just do a skullet.

Comment

When you have less hair you have more head. Pun intended. There's far worse things that could be getting you down. Good luck.
                            I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

Comment

Originally posted by Sephiroth View Post
                              If I go bald I'll just do a skullet.
                              Or a double Mohawk?
                              "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Working...
                              X