No announcement yet.

Idea/Invention - Need input guys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I usually twist and solder all the grounds to each other, and to a single extra wire that goes to one point. Beats trying to solder multiple wires to the same point (and having them pop off when the glob gets hot).

Wrap the glob in tape to protect it.

But yeah, best bet is a screw-on terminal strip. Even a simple piece of brass or copper shim stock mounted to the cavity would work. It's highly conductive and easily mounted. Still involves soldering, though.

Now, if you could figure out a way to mount a spring-clamp terminal strip to a pot's shaft, so that it is held in place by the pot and sticks out to the safe side (away from any other contact points), you might have something.

Maybe even a disc or half-moon setup that has a hole in the center where the pot would mount and hold it in place, with pre-connected terminals sticking out around the back or side of the pot. Using spring-loaded clamps, you insert the ground wires from as many sources as you have. Might still need to solder a ground wire to the trem's spring claw, but at most, that's all.

Should also be small enough to work in cramped control cavities.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Ive used the battery connector buss from EMG solderless set a few times. Mainly cus the owner of the guitar had way to much solder on a pot and it was being conductive. I trimmed it off. and soldered one wire to the pot. cuz i was worried about over heating the pot any further. and he didnt want to replace parts. So I used the emg battery buss as ground buss and it worked fantastic. Slopped ot back into the red plastic cover and tucked it into the guitar cavity after taping it off.
      I thought the phone (old land line) used stuff like this. When i was young and my dad and i were into model railroading. We used a bunch of those screw terminal strips as junction connetions for various things on the layout. So yeah it could work. Ive also used conductive washers and soldered to them before too.
      Gil

Comment

If you build it..they will cum.
        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
        X