Idea/Invention - Need input guys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idea/Invention - Need input guys

I do a lot of guitar work for people in my area and have done countless rewires/mods to electronics. One thing that drives me insane is the amount of wires that have to be grounded to either the tone or volume pups. The more pickups, the more grounding that needs to be done, especially if done properly such as shielding each pickup cavity, trem, etc.

Those that do their own wiring, or others wiring know how much of a pain it can be.

What I'd like to have developed is a common grounding buss terminal. It would have 1 leg at the bottom of the terminal block that you solder to a POT, then above that would be a group of 6 to 8 terminals where grounds could be connected, by either spring type self-latching connectors, or screw type connectors, or something similar that would mount to the inside control cavity wall and have 1 wire going to the volume pot.

Now that I've went through that whole description.... Is there already something out there like this?
    1996 Jackson PS-4 Performer - Trans Green flame
    1997 Jackson DX1 Professional - Black
    2001 Jackson DX10DFS - Trans Red - Soon to be Bubinga Burl!
    2006 Jackson DK2M - Inferno Red
    2007 Jackson DXMG - Black
    2011 Charvel Desolation DC-2 - Trans Black
    1978 Fender 12 String Acoustic
    2004 Alverez Acoustic/Electric
    2011 Fender 4 string Jazz Bass
    1995 Ibanez 4 string ??? Bass

Kind of; it's sorta the same idea as the Seymour Duncan Liberator, but used for a different purpose. Go for it!

Sully
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

beats me, but it seems like a good idea. is it like an old electrical buss in old cars, except attached in guitar?
      GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Someone has a lug you put on the shaft end of the pot, then you install the pot into the body/pickguard and then you solder your wires to the lug....I got them on my guitar........and they work great. -Lou
        " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

The best solution is a thin brass grounding plate cut to fit the cavity. I put those in every time I rewire a guitar (if it doesn't have one already).

Comment

Thanks for the info guys! I was kinda thinking along the lines of something like this... Click image for larger version

Name:	KF2EDGK-KF-6P-6-Pin-Plug-in-Terminal-Connector-508-mm-Pitch-Through-Hole-Straight-Pin-M521955309.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	2446300 Of course with a slightly different design specifically for guitars...

I'll have to check out your suggestions.

Comment

Originally posted by sully View Post
              Kind of; it's sorta the same idea as the Seymour Duncan Liberator, but used for a different purpose. Go for it!
              Sully
              You mean this? http://www.liberator.com/

Slightly different purpose!
              "You have a pud..your wife has a face. Next time she bitches..I'd play cock bongos on her cheeks..all four of them!" - Bill Z.
              I just just had a sudden urge to sugga dick..! If I wore that guitar and didn't suck male genitalia..somethin' is very wrong! - Bill Z.

Comment

I checked out the Liberator, and I like seymour duncan pickups, but I like CTS pots! Plus, it looks like you still have to solder the grounds on the board/pot. Cool idea though Sully!

Comment

Originally posted by MikeStrat View Post
                  You mean this? http://www.liberator.com/

Slightly different purpose!
                  I wish I hadn't clicked on that at work and gotten a blocked page due to adult content.

For anyone looking for the actual page it's http://www.seymourduncan.com/liberator/
                  GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

My apologies.
                    "You have a pud..your wife has a face. Next time she bitches..I'd play cock bongos on her cheeks..all four of them!" - Bill Z.
                    I just just had a sudden urge to sugga dick..! If I wore that guitar and didn't suck male genitalia..somethin' is very wrong! - Bill Z.

Comment

I put in copper shield,then use thin solder wick for grounding . It can be tacked right to the shielding.

Last edited by len; 08-31-2012, 04:20 PM.
                      “But does it help with the blues rock chatter?"-Hellbat

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
                        I wish I hadn't clicked on that at work and gotten a blocked page due to adult content.

For anyone looking for the actual page it's http://www.seymourduncan.com/liberator/
                        Yup, that's the first thing that came to my mind as well. Saw it in GW mags a while back. But the OP is talking about a design that'll work for any/many pickup combinations right? This SD one seems to work only for standard wirings. Not sure.
                        Sam

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Cygnus X1 View Post
                            This is what I was thinking of as well. Just join all the terminals together for grounding.

Comment

That would work too, but I'd love to have something that requires minimal soldering.

I am in the oil and gas industry and my occupation is communication/instrumentation/control. I guess since I'm so use to seeing it everywhere I go, it's a little odd to me that the guitar making industry hasn't come up with some kind of quick connect terminal system for guitars..

Comment

Working...
                              X