No announcement yet.

Went Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ubuntu is out. Fuck that. An operating system should be smart enough to know not to let applications remove dependencies that are part of the operating system. I installed and then uninstalled Ardour because it didnt work right. It took ALSA with it. ALSA, for those who dont know is the part of Ubuntu responsible for audio devices to work. I tried 3 different methods to reinstall the package. Didnt work. So I decided that this kind of stuff was slightly more asinine than Windows, so I blew Ubuntu away. It left a grub error and I had to repair the MBR with the Windows repair disk. Cripes. gonna hunt down a used Macbook Pro. Im so tired of these PC shenanigans.
    HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

Yeah, I gave up on Ubuntu when we physically moved our router to the other end of the house from the computer. I couldn't figure out how to install a wireless driver.
      I got an iMac, and I think it's awesome.
      My other signature says something funny

Comment

Originally posted by Cliff View Post
        I got an iMac, and I think it's awesome.
        I hope you saw the picture above and are being sarcastic
        sigpic
        Action Jackson

Comment

Nah, I missed that . But it *is* awesome!

Comment

So is my old school G4 PowerMac

aw duh munnies goz 2 geetars :-/
            "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

Comment

lol the key to a successful windows andything is frequent reinstalls.......Windows has too many backdoors
              It's pronounced soops

Comment

Originally posted by Nimitz View Post
                Key for successful windows operation is turning off updates.
                No, it's really not. The amount of security vulnerabilities updates fix is staggering. Leave them on.

Welcome to the fold Twitch I'm running Ubuntu 10.04 as well alongside Windows 7 and FreeBSD.
                I like EL34s.

Comment

So what do you guys DO on your Linux computers? Maybe I'm naive, but is there some way to run applications like Flash, PhotoShop, ProTools, etc? What if you use industry-standard apps like those?

Is Linux good for anything besides surfing the web, doing email, and running open office?

- E.
                  Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

Originally posted by AlexL View Post
                    So what do you guys DO on your Linux computers? Maybe I'm naive, but is there some way to run applications like Flash, PhotoShop, ProTools, etc? What if you use industry-standard apps like those?

Is Linux good for anything besides surfing the web, doing email, and running open office?

- E.
                    I do all my programming (AKA Work) in Linux.
                    I like EL34s.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexL View Post

- E.
                      Originally posted by Grim View Post
                      I do all my programming (AKA Work) in Linux.
                      Yeah thats about it, and using it to bypass Windows security. Maybe some more advanced hacking as well. I tried to use the industry standard DAW for Linux, and under Ubuntu and my laptop, it didnt work, and when I uninstalled it, it took the part of the OS with it that was responsible for use of my sound card(because it was attached as a dependency upon installation) and I was not able to reinstall that package. My option was to reinstall the OS, I said fuck that and gave up on it. If I ever have an old computer that comes through my hands that isnt worth a Windows install, sure Ill throw Linux on it, but never again on my main computer.
                      HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

Originally posted by 84sups View Post
                        lol the key to a successful windows andything is frequent reinstalls.......Windows has too many backdoors
                        It IS possible to secure Windows, but it's like bailing out a boat with a sieve.
                        I like EL34s.

Comment

I use Linux at work, so having Linux or Unix at home means I can either log on remotely, or program directly at home.
                          Certainly Flash and Photoshop work on Linux, as does Maya and a great deal of other software. Plenty of open source software too.

Comment

Working...
                          X