Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

George L's cables..... opinions? anyone use them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• George L's cables..... opinions? anyone use them?

I have some of them. In general, I like them as they seem very durable. but they tangle up really easy and I dont like that aspect of them. they also are expensive as hell. I just priced a .225 sized 20 ft cable.... $53.00 before shipping!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Holy shit!!! thats too spendy for me.

I dont remember them being that expensive when I bought them 10 years ago. they used to be $20. what the hell happened??
    "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

I use them for wiring up my pedalboards. I Also have a couple of their speaker cables. They are expensive but you can often find used ends and cable on guitar forums and save a bunch. I use the .155" for pedalboards. I also ended up with a couple used .255" cables which i use for intrument cable at home for my guitar to amp. Live I use my Zaolla cable. The George L's is good stuff!
    Rudy
    www.metalinc.net

Comment

I bought a 10 footer to give it a try. Too stiff for my tastes and no sound quality or noise improvement that I noticed over my regular Radial woven cover vintage cables. They are well made but not worth the 2x price premium to me.
      GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

I did alot of research on them not too long ago and seemed half the people loved them and half hated them.It does seem a little scary to me to screw in the cable as appposed to soldering them. I found a place online that sold me the same cable as Mogami and bought the Neutric ends too online and saved a ton...
        H3LL IS HOME!!!

Comment

I dunno. Ceratin amps really reveal different cables, strings pups..even picks. Clevo-John really likes 'em.

When I was downstairs trying out Vinny's 6505 combo and PA cab. I went thu a 10lb bag o' cables I've accumulated since I was his age. Basically sorting out the bad ones from the good. While doing this I discovered how different much of these cables sound..no matter of length. Many were genereic "store" brand..stores that don't exist anymore. Some of those sounded best. Pro-Co-, Horizon, DiMarzio, Spectraflex, Planet Waves, Prism, (cheaper) Monster, ect..personally the Prism..all of them were most consistant, and nice sounding. I don't think they make 'em anymore..But I still have 3 new ones which is cool. So, those are mine. I gave him a few OLD Pro-co "Music Movers".

Personally I like Monster cables, and Planet Waves..and Prism. Which I've had since the early 90's and played all those VH trib shows with. Still have 'em..I can shake, move around while plugged in and zero noise with my Strat..which is my noisiest guitar.

Personally I'm not into shit that need assembly..no matter how easy. I'm much too cheap to spend that on a cable when I've got by just fine with the ones I have.
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Yep, Prism is still in biz. I like those best. I bought a bunch really cheap during the early - mid 90's and they still sound and work like brand new.

HOLY SHIT..WTF did happen? I paid 50 bucks for 6 of these EXACT cables BITD..now they're $34 each..They're great cables. Ehhh ..shop around..>>>http://www.cables.com/Products/Prism...RISM-P-18.aspx
            Last edited by horns666; 12-19-2011, 03:03 AM.

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Don't get the really thin George L's, tangle like crazy.
              Jackson KV2
              Jackson KE1T
              Jackson KE1F
              Jackson SL1

Comment

I recently bought some of the DIY stuff from Bullet Cable and used it for wiring up my rack. I was tired of my mashup of cable lengths. Now my rack looks great and sounds better too.

http://www.bulletcable.com/

Comment

Originally posted by MetalDaze View Post
                  I recently bought some of the DIY stuff from Bullet Cable and used it for wiring up my rack. I was tired of my mashup of cable lengths. Now my rack looks great and sounds better too.

http://www.bulletcable.com/
                  I think Bullet and George L's are prolly the way to go if you're going to do this..as Rudy stated as well.

If not then...ahhhh fuggitz.

Comment

I just buy quality cable and ends from redco.com and roll my own. Neutrik/Switchcraft/Amphenol and mogami/canare usually. THe 50 dollar ripoff mogami cable you buy at Guitar Cen†er can be made for a 1/3 of the cost.
                    2003 Jackson SLATQH Custom (cobalt cabo), 2002 Jackson SLATQM (burnt cherry), 2011 Jackson Chris Broderick Soloist (transblack 7), 2007 SL2H (black)
                    Mesa Road King, Bogner Uberkab, Mesa Lonestar Classic, Kemper Profiling Amp, Eventide H8000

Comment

Originally posted by Animus View Post
                      I just buy quality cable and ends from redco.com and roll my own. Neutrik/Switchcraft/Amphenol and mogami/canare usually. THe 50 dollar ripoff mogami cable you buy at Guitar Cen†er can be made for a 1/3 of the cost.
                      Would you consider making some?
                      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I love them. I use George L's for the pedalboard and amp selector switches. They are good cables. I have one 20 foot instrument cable but it seems pretty durable. Plus they are easy to terminate and cut custom lengths. I noticed a difference right away on the pedalboard and again when I used it from the selector switch to four amps.
                        shawnlutz.com

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                          Would you consider making some?
                          It's real easy and worth it to learn. Get a decent soldering iron (with a soldering station helps), some Kester Rosin Core solder, a cable tester preferably, tools you might already have such as wire strippers/cutters/clamps with goosnecks etc. I've made mic cables, ts cables, instrument cables. I had noticed I had probably spent over 1k on various retail cables over the years (a lot of it crappy quality too) and finally bit the bullet and said fuck that. You will mess up a few cables to s†art for sure (and maybe get some blisters and stab wounds hehe)but it's get's real easy with some practice. Get a desoldering pump too to salvage fuckups. I don't usually fuck with the shrink wrap or braid sleeves but that's easily done as well.
                          Last edited by Animus; 12-19-2011, 11:03 PM.
                          2003 Jackson SLATQH Custom (cobalt cabo), 2002 Jackson SLATQM (burnt cherry), 2011 Jackson Chris Broderick Soloist (transblack 7), 2007 SL2H (black)
                          Mesa Road King, Bogner Uberkab, Mesa Lonestar Classic, Kemper Profiling Amp, Eventide H8000

Comment

(and maybe get some blisters and stab wounds hehe)
                            fuck that

"Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Get a decent soldering iron, soldering station, some Kester Rosin Core solder, a cable tester, wire strippers, cutters, clamps with goosnecks, desoldering pump, shrink wrap or braid sleeves...etc etc etc
                              Sounds easier. quicker and cheaper just to get a $20 Whirlwind Leader that probably works and sounds better.
                              Just a guitar player...

Comment

Working...
                              X