X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nimitz View Post
    Yes, that's what this is.

Capone not synonymous with Chicago?

Anybody with a little history knows Cicero (Chicago) was his stomping ground... average Boardwalk watcher especially people from foreign lands probably Googled Cicero.

So Nelson ends up in Cicero, what a stretch of the imagination on what is going to come out of that. Why not settle in Idaho or something like a real person trying to get away from the FBI would.

Like I said before season 3 will be the last.

So someone that pays for a platinum memberships and then wants to talk about a TV show can just get that $15 bucks yanked away?

Yeah that seems about right...

I hope Micheal Pitt is in 15 movies next year!!!
    Nimitz, you would have saved a lot of BS if you had just added "**spoilers**" to the title. This way if G opened the thread and learned something about the ending of the season he had not seen yet, it would be his fault, not yours. You can't assume that everyone who is interested in BE has seen every episode yet, especially in the era of DVRs and DVD releases. (Freedom of speech? Sure, it's guaranteed, but it's always best to think about what consequenses your words have on yourself as well as others before you say/write them.)

Cicero, while a suburb of Chicago, is NOT the same thing. And during this time in history, Torio (not Capone) did not run all of Chicago. They were holding parcels of the South side while other Italian factions (Genna family / Unione Sicliana) held the west side, and Irish gangs (Dean O'Banion) held the Loop and North side. Torio wasn't driven out of/retired from what eventually became the Outfit until after a series of events (O'Banion double crosses Torio, Torio/Capone have O'Banion killed in his flower shop - Schofield's across the street from Chicago's Holy Name Cathedral, and Earl "Hymie" Weiss, Vincent "The Schemer" Drucci, and George "Bugs" Moran attempted to kill him.)

Yes, I'm holding tight to actual history (and possibly the writers are as well - evidenced by the use of Cicero instead of Chicago) so to speculate on where the Van Alden story arc may go, then I don't think it's too far fetched.
    Occupy JCF

Comment

As far as your original post... How do I feel about it? Not a problem at all. I've always understood that the show revolved around Nucky Thompson, all other characters are parts of his story.
      Occupy JCF

Comment

Todd, I know you're big into this stuff - you ever read the book Pork City by Howard Browne? I haven't read it in a while, but IIRC it's a fictional account drawing on historical figures. It's about the police investigation into a mob killing of a journalist.
        Hail yesterday

Comment

Can't say that I've heard of that book. But it kind of sounds like it was based off the murder of Chicago journalist Jake Lingle and something I'd pick up and possibly enjoy. Though I do have to say, the two sequels to The Godfather (The Godfather's Revenge, and The Godfather Returns by Mark Winegardner) followed historical events quite closely and just changed the names. I remember I was a little turned off by reading it because instead of the fictional characters, I was substituting the real-life characters.
          Occupy JCF

Comment

Just searched for the book (and bought it ;-) ) on Amazon.com... As I suspected. Jake Lingle. Here's a little trivia for you... When you watch The Dark Knight and Batman is riding the Batcycle through a corridor... That is Millennium Station at Michigan and Randolph, and where Jake Lingle was murdered.

About 1:49-ish in this clip - http://youtu.be/FPaTv98wUsE
            Occupy JCF

Comment

I remember from The Belly of an Architect where two main characters were talking about Chicago being the city of blood, meat and money and having some of the best carnivorous architecture in the western world. Pork City sounds suitable
              "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Originally posted by Tekky View Post
                Just searched for the book (and bought it ;-) ) on Amazon.com... As I suspected. Jake Lingle. Here's a little trivia for you... When you watch The Dark Knight and Batman is riding the Batcycle through a corridor... That is Millennium Station at Michigan and Randolph, and where Jake Lingle was murdered.

About 1:49-ish in this clip - http://youtu.be/FPaTv98wUsE
                Jake Lingle, that's the one. I could've provided more detail if I'd got off my ass and walked over to the book case

I hope you enjoy it, man. I've read it about 3 times now, which always a good sign of a good read. Last time was last year.
                Hail yesterday

Comment

Nimitz, you would have saved a lot of BS if you had just added "**spoilers**" to the title. This way if G opened the thread and learned something about the ending of the season he had not seen yet, it would be his fault, not yours. You can't assume that everyone who is interested in BE has seen every episode yet, especially in the era of DVRs and DVD releases. (Freedom of speech? Sure, it's guaranteed, but it's always best to think about what consequenses your words have on yourself as well as others before you say/write them.)
                  This works fine on movie sites like imdb and is exactly what I was alluding to in an earlier post, but apparently it didn't sink in. Everybody was just supposed to assume there would be spoilers.

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
                    Jake Lingle, that's the one. I could've provided more detail if I'd got off my ass and walked over to the book case

I hope you enjoy it, man. I've read it about 3 times now, which always a good sign of a good read. Last time was last year.
                    I can't wait. Despite my backlog of books to read, I might just read it when it comes in. (after I finish this Kevin Smith book ) )

So, another point on BE is that the formula is very similar to The Godfather, where it takes a true historical character, changes his name, and then gives him some real-life historic events that he's involved in. Enoch Thompson is based from Enoch Johnson. Unlike The Godfather, they didn't change the name and histories (too much*) of the supporting characters such as Luciano, Lansky, Capone, and Rothstein.

I think this formula will be interesting enough to carry on a couple more seasons. Hell, Prohibition lasted from 1919 to 1933 and currently they're still in the early 20's. (evidenced by Torrio still being in the picture - his assasination attempt occurred in 1925)

*My beef with one historical event was the murder of Torrio's former boss "Big" Jim Colossimo. The details were wrong, and actually the real way it happened would have made for a better part of the show.
                    Occupy JCF

Comment

As far as your original post... How do I feel about it? Not a problem at all. I've always understood that the show revolved around Nucky Thompson, all other characters are parts of his story.
                      True, but I just think it was way to early to kill off Jimmy... He was one of the strongest characters the show had... I was disappointed with the whole season really.

Oh well my friend is the one that buys the HBO I just watch it.

I was down in Chicago over the weekend and I got mugged by Al Capone's ghost in Andersonville...

My sister and her husband live on Andersonville and it sucks because their are HOT woman everywhere that want nothing to do with me... Chicagoland peeps know why
                      sigpic
                      Action Jackson

Comment

Yes Nimitz, the Andersonville neighborhood is where the lesbians hang out.
                        Occupy JCF

Comment

Working...
                        X