anyone else love 'the darkness'?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone else love 'the darkness'?

apparently i'm late to the party, but these trolls are working on a new record

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGPyU...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRYNY...eature=related

i wish more newer bands still played this kind of old fashioned rock

They pissed off a bunch of people by climbing up the underground Metal ranks only to jump ship and do candy-rock once they were signed. Makes no difference to me. Like dude said, what's the point of climbing the ladder if you don't want to go to the top?
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

?

where can I find their metal material?

Comment

you can't. Newc's talking out his ass. They only have two albums out and they are both of a similar vein.

I remember a few people here (on the JCF) assumed they were extreme metal because of the name (like The Haunted or something) and were shocked the first time they heard them, particularly the falsetto vocals. I can imagine the reaction from the label if the band had suddenly dropped some serious "underground metal" schtick and started wearing sequined jumpsuits and playing glam rock after they were signed. Why would the label release the album then?

As for their climbing the ladder - the success and sales of those two "candy-rock" albums blew away anything in the metal underground.

I like 'em. Didn't know they were back together.
        Hail yesterday

Comment

I listen to primarily metal and hip hop, but I grew up on all the 70s/80s rock stuff. Personally, I love all the falsetto vocals, the hair, jumpsuits, etc.

yeah, it's a bit ridiculous but I think it captures that genre very well. Also, you just can't beat that timeless LPC/marshall tone. These guys fucking ROCK.

Comment

I listen to all kinds of stuff - jazz, blues, classic rock, metal, prog, death metal.

The Darkness just seem like some dudes having a good time and putting on a show. Plus it was cool to hear some new music with good solos on the radio for a change.
            Hail yesterday

Comment

this is the most excited I've been about a new musical discovery in a long time. I can't believe I'm this late to the party!

Comment

The first time I seen the music video for that I believe in a thing called love song I thought it was a joke tbh, like a skit or something. But it is a damn catchy tune.
                I'm going to give you the keys to the Lamborghini

Comment

I can't say I like them very much.Just too polished sounding for me.I can say the wall of marshall cabs in the original vid was quite awesome though.
                  BLS/SDMF

Comment

I fucking hate them, they are just taking the piss, and not in a funny way like Bad News.

They are not even good enough to be Steel Panther wannabes, they are just shite, utter shite. (The singer sang a couple of lines on "Feel the Steel", and it ruins the whole song, he's a cunt.)

Hopefully they'll quickly disappear back to Norfolk where they can fuck their sisters all day long and paddle in the North Sea with their webbed feet.
                    So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

I can see it being 'too polished' for some, but I think it's authentic and true to the genre. To say it's shit isn't really fair.

I don't see how you can be a fan of 70s/80s rock and not love these guys.

Comment

I usually adhere to the 'if you don't have something nice to say, say nothing', but I'm with Rsmacker.

Can't stand the singer's voice or the melodies he comes up with. Awful, awful stuff. To me it seems to be a very bad joke that is quite painful to hear.

I was glad when they disappeared years ago, and didn't expect them to re-surface.

So it is quite possible to be a fan of 70s/80s music and not The Darkness. To each their own.
                        Last edited by Ward; 07-18-2011, 11:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rsmacker View Post
                          paddle in the North Sea with their webbed feet.

I was watching the the Lemmy doc on netflix last night and they had a funny bit with him and Dave Grohl messing with the singer.
                          GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Scarn View Post
                            I can see it being 'too polished' for some, but I think it's authentic and true to the genre. To say it's shit isn't really fair.

I don't see how you can be a fan of 70s/80s rock and not love these guys.
                            It's not the fact it's polished, it's the fact it's shit. They aren't like a throwback band, they haven't been plugging away doggedly for years, until the wheel turned and their style came back into fashion. They are a joke band that found itself being taken seriously and adapted accordingly.

Put it this way - Green Day and Rancid might seem to be punk bands on the face of it, but the whole world (except them) knows they aren't fit to be in the same room as UK Subs or Anti Nowhere League. They are Punk-Lite (and Gay), worlds apart, in the same way the Darkness are to good old classic rock bands from way back.

I'd have more respect for The Darkness if they just became a Queen tribute band, even though my feelings for Brian Fucking May are well known around here.
                            So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

I agree with you on greenday and the like, but we just have to agree to disagree on the darkness.

I don't think it's a joke, it'd be one hell of an elaborate and expensive joke. They're easily my new favorite band. They'd be in 2nd place if DT hadn't been faggots about not letting portnoy back in the band.

Comment

Working...
                              X