No announcement yet.

Gorgomyte: any good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You definitely need to follow-up the gorgomyte with some sort of post conditioning - like fretboard Lemon Oil. I used the gorgomyte on a recent Jackson that was saved - previous owners neglect. Thinking the Gorgomyte was enough after buffing it out with a dry t-shirt. It left a haze. So an conditioner follow-up is definitely needed. Don't get me wrong the Gorgomyte does a fine job, but it's not complete.

Comment

The one thing I'm noticing about the Gorgomyte is that even after polishing the hell out of the frets with a few cloths it still isn't enough. For instance I cleaned up a board last night and polished the frets. I used 3 rags to clean up after hitting it with the Gorgomyte and it was still leaving the rags black and dirty. You do a hell of a lot of polishing, and when you think you got it all, you string up, do your set up and start playing. Your fingers are black, it eventually stops leaving residue on your fingers but it's annoying. But I do like the product, much less of a hassle than steel wool that for sure! Oh yeah, this post was sponsored by... Fret Dr. don't leave home without it. ; )

Comment

Originally posted by Sharkfin View Post
        The one thing I'm noticing about the Gorgomyte is that even after polishing the hell out of the frets with a few cloths it still isn't enough. For instance I cleaned up a board last night and polished the frets. I used 3 rags to clean up after hitting it with the Gorgomyte and it was still leaving the rags black and dirty. You do a hell of a lot of polishing, and when you think you got it all, you string up, do your set up and start playing. Your fingers are black, it eventually stops leaving residue on your fingers but it's annoying. But I do like the product, much less of a hassle than steel wool that for sure! Oh yeah, this post was sponsored by... Fret Dr. don't leave home without it. ; )
        Doesn't this contradict your previous statement?
        I like EL34s.

Comment

Kinda, but I can see where the discrepancy is. I was unclear with my follow up post. With the Gorgomyte cloth, the cleaning of the frets is easy and quick it doesn't take a lot of work or material. I'm my later post though, the cloth I was referring to were rag cloths to remove the residue and final polish of the frets. I had to use a couple until I though I had picked it all up. Something I learned after the first time I had used it. Does that clear it up for ya?

Comment

Sorry to bump an old thread but I just got my gormomyte today along with a few brass tremstops. I used this on my 90 Jackson rhoads pro. I followed the directions of using one 2" piece for the entire neck, that lasted me about 3 frets. I don't know if my guitar was just super dirty or what but I ended up using 4 pieces and the rags were still completely black. My frets are much shinier now and the board is like a flat black but it is very uniform now. I'd like to experiment someday and use as much as it takes to not have any more gunk on the rags but that'd be a bit expensive. I'm sold on this stuff. Next up is brass big block, brass claw, and maybe some SS hardware.
            1986 Aria Pro II Elite II
            BC Rich NJ DLX Warlock bass
            82-84 Burny LPC
            90 Jackson Rhoads Pro
            06 Dean CFH x2
            11 Dean Rebel Custom
            06 Dean DOFlame
            09 Ibanez Xiphos XPT750
            Dean D100 Dime amp
            Eleven Rack
            79 Furman PQ6
            Peavey 6505+

Comment

You can use just the one square, even on a dirty board. It gets very black, but just keep turning the cloth as you work your way up the fretboard. Even when it is very black it still does the job, so don't waste a bunch...

Comment

Usually it's the frets that make the Gorgomyte turn all black. If you clean the fretboard first and then do the frets last you'll see the difference in what the little squares are cleaning up. On a guitar that just needs a light FB and fret cleaning one square should do. But I've had to use up to 4 squares on a FB that had accumulated lots of grime.

Comment

Usually it's the frets that make the Gorgomyte turn all black. If you clean the fretboard first and then do the frets last you'll see the difference in what the little squares are cleaning up. On a guitar that just needs a light FB and fret cleaning one square should do. But I've had to use up to 4 squares on a FB that had accumulated lots of grime.
                  Both the frets and fretboard were doing that. Not sure if there's some black dye on my board that's coming off or if it's just insanely dirty. I did notice a hour or so later when it dried there was some weird stains on the fretboard. I get that look a lot, it looks almost like sweat marks on each side of the frets and follow the strings. Don't know if I need to clean again or what. I also get that look if I oil a board, maybe I'm doing something wrong. I did my Dean CFH as well and looks new, marks haven't showed up on that.
                  1986 Aria Pro II Elite II
                  BC Rich NJ DLX Warlock bass
                  82-84 Burny LPC
                  90 Jackson Rhoads Pro
                  06 Dean CFH x2
                  11 Dean Rebel Custom
                  06 Dean DOFlame
                  09 Ibanez Xiphos XPT750
                  Dean D100 Dime amp
                  Eleven Rack
                  79 Furman PQ6
                  Peavey 6505+

Comment

Would this stuff be OK to use on a maple fretboard?
                    sigpic

Comment

If it's super grimy like this, it can take a few squares to take the grime off. I would say it's perfectly fine to use on maple.

Before:

After Gorgomyte and Fret Dr.:

Comment

Originally posted by Inazone View Post
                        Would this stuff be OK to use on a maple fretboard?
                        Is your maple board unfinished or does it have wear marks through the laquer? If so, I don't think I would use it unless you don't mind some discoloring. I'm afraid to try it on my unfinished maple fretboard for that reason. I don't know how much it would discolor...

Here's the FAQ, and they mention it a couple questions down:

http://www.gorgomyte.com/FAQ2.html

Comment

If it's super grimy like this, it can take a few squares to take the grime off.
                          Yeah, I can see that taking a few extra squares. Never had build up like that, but I'm a freak about cleaning...

Comment

It works wonders, but I follow with an oil application after using it.

Another before & after shot for you.

I <3 DR Strings.

2007 Jackson KV2
                            2006 Schecter C1 Blackjack
                            Randall RG75G2
                            Line 6 PODxt

Comment

Has this happened to anyone who uses Gorgomyte yet?

So after a long hiatus of neglecting all my guitars I decided to restring my classical as it had not had new strings in at least 2 years! The last time I used Gorgomyte was probably 6 or 8 months ago. Anyway when I looked the sealed bag, I found that it was mostly covered in black mold and the sheet was dry. It's usually somewhat moist. I used just about half of it until yesterday and obviously had to trash it. I did salvage a small sliver that appeared clean and went to town cleaning the frets on my guitar.

It kinda sucks that I had to throw it away after only being able to use half of the Gorgomyte sheet. I purchase it maybe 2 or 3 years ago, but i would have thought being that it was always in a sealed bag that that would have never happened. I'm a little turned off by the product now.

Comment

I just checked my Gorgomyte I bought a couple years ago. It's been about a year since I last used it, but the 1/4 sheet I have left is perfect in the bag. No mold or even any discoloration. Still looks the same off white color it always did...

Comment

Working...
                                X