Bark At The Moon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bark At The Moon

Ok, I remember we had this dicussion a couple of years ago (or more) about the older Ozzy albums were redone and the bass and drums were redone to cut out Airey and Kerslake (the original studio players) because they were being douchebags.

Anyhoo, I mentioned that it sounded to me like they redid Jake's guitar tracks as well, because there was something definitely missing that I couldn't quite recall exactly because I stated as soon as I heard the "remake", I tossed the CD and bought the newly remastered version (has a cover similar to the other remasters - smaller original album cover on a copperish/greyish smokey background and the song titles on the back in a circle).

As I recall, I was assured here that I was crazy, and they didn't redo or edit Jake's tracks, and no one could find the same CD I had for verification.

Well, as luck would have it, I didn't toss it out. I ran across it this morning and ripped it to my PC, and compared the two RnR Rebel versions (the most glaringly obvious changes).

Here's the one from the remaster, and is the version I recall hearing in when the album first came out:
    http://newcenstein.com/mp3/snippets/orig-Rnr-Rebel.mp3

Here's the "cut those douches out" version:
    http://newcenstein.com/mp3/snippets/...-RnR-Rebel.mp3

First thing you notice is increased bass and overall volume in the drums and bass tracks.
    The second thing that kicks you in the face is that Jake's opening solo is completely gone. Not buried in the mix, but absolute gone!

His other between-verse solos are also missing, and I swear some of the scalar riffs are jumping more than they did originally (the squeals don't sound the same to me).

If you lay the two tracks over one another, you notice horrible timing issues between them as well.

Going through the rest of the CD now to see what else was changed.

If they did trash Jake's tracks, that's a fucking travesty.

EDIT: The "douche cut/fuck Jake" disc is the 10-track version with "One Up The B Side" as the 10th track. The remaster is the 9-track version with Spiders In The Night as the 9th.
    Last edited by Newc; 09-06-2010, 06:11 AM.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Yeah, I vaguely recall hearing that Zakk did some guitar work on the BATM redo, or that it was seriously edited. I bought the diary one, and realized something was horribly wrong about a minute into Over The Mountain. Flying High Again had some timing issues, too. I guess that's what happens when you pull the bass and drum tracks out (Daisley and Kerslake, respectively). Kinda like a spinal transplant.

Sully
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Listening now...OMG, that's horrible!
      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
      Sully Guitars on Facebook
      Sully Guitars on Google+
      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Saxon had the same issues. There's a remake version which I don't like. Just give me the original version.

Comment

ha...I actually liked the cut the douche rawer guitar tone....
          shawnlutz.com

Comment

Wow... That is messed up.

Comment

Thats friggin horrible.. Im assuming Sharon was behind this petty shit. They shoulda retired after No More Tears..
              http://www.reverbnation.com/#/themightypragmatics

Comment

Why is it they can't 'remaster' without adding/dropping things that make the song 'whole?' I'd say there are bass players and drummers out there who've noticed things too. I think its a travesty to change it. Yeah the sound quality is better, but really, was it nesc. to cut out different parts, mess up the timing, etc? I've noticed this garbage on other 'remastered' albums from different artists. I'd chalk it up to greed, on everyones part. Original artist on the original score, mainly because no 2 are exactly alike. ZW can play over JEL solo's all he wants, but he's not Jake, nor Randy. Remaster all you want, but don't screw up the song for greed. It's just wrong IMHO.
                "illegal downloading saved people from having to buy that piece of shit you tried to pass off as music" - Nighbat

Comment

That's a fucking tragedy, luckily i have all the originals as well as The Ultimate Sin.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                    Saxon had the same issues. There's a remake version which I don't like. Just give me the original version.
                    Which Saxon one was that? I know they re-recorded some of their classics, and they sound pretty good, but you are well aware of what you are getting, they aren't trying to pass them off as "re-mastered with the odd re-take". In fact, I quite like the new versions, kind of like the Anthrax "Greater of 2 Evils" LP, even though the original versions are timeless classics. As for Ozzy, well, fuck knows what you are going to get when you buy any of his LPs, past or present.
                    So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

that is sad. anymore, it seems anything to do with ozzy seems to be surrounded by shadiness. sharon did a good job creating a career for him way back when, but she is destroying everything she worked to make for ozzy and herself....pathetic.
                      GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Making a buck by sacrificing the magic...not a good move

Comment

I don't think I have ever heard a remaster I like more UNLESS the remastered one is the first one I've heard.
                          "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

Actually the remaster is the one that sounds like the original. The do-over/re-take is the one with the missing guitar work.

Here's the remaster from 1995:
                            http://www.amazon.com/Bark-at-moon-O...3818349&sr=8-4

Note the cover is the same as the remastered Blizzard, Diary, and Ultimate Sin.

Here's the "retake" cover from 2002:
                            http://www.amazon.com/Bark-At-The-Mo...3818349&sr=8-2

This is the one with the edited guitar tracks, though sometimes it's listed as "original recordings remastered" and "original recordings reissued".

And yeah, they redid a ton of other guitar work as well on that whole disc. I would throw it out now that I've found it again, but I think I should hang onto it as an example of what NOT to do when remastering a legendary album.
                            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I knew they redid Blizzard and Diary, but didn't know they did BATM, and redid Jake's part to boot! Did Jake ask for more residuals as well?! The best CDs are those 22 bit remastered ones with the song titles in a circle as mentioned. These reissues...yuck!
                              "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Working...
                              X