Advice for first (sorta) guitar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DalyTek View Post
    Yeah, the only Jacksons I have seen on CL lately have been way over his price range, with the exception of one, but it sold quick. People here in Tucson, AZ are trying to get $150-$200 out of Squiers! I wouldn't mind assembling a parts mutt for him at all, but the parts aren't even very easy to find without resorting to eBay (which I want to avoid at all costs!) Most of the Jackson necks alone are selling for more than his budget. But really, I would love to do that for him. Plus, as an added bonus, I love to assemble stuff, so I'd have a blast putting it together for him.

I know the $200-$250 price range would give him more options and is still low-budget guitars, but bear in mind that's about double what he will have available (his parents just split up.)

If anyone stumbles across some killer deals on parts, or has some extra parts they're willing to part with dirt cheap, let me know. That may be a good route to go...
    I'm afraid he'll either need to sell more stuff or find work. I really think $200 is the lower cutoff for anything J/C other than a Charvette. The cheapest deal I've gotten on a closet queesn was $195 + $30 shipping on ebay a few years ago.

Comment

I was thinking possibly something along the lines of the JS30KE or something maybe? If my thinking is correct, the JS series are the lowest entry-level Jacksons, are they not?
      My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Comment

Currently, yes.
        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by DalyTek View Post
          I was thinking possibly something along the lines of the JS30KE or something maybe? If my thinking is correct, the JS series are the lowest entry-level Jacksons, are they not?
          Yeah, but you get better quality and hardware for just a little bit more...

Comment

100 to 150 is tough. I've seen some Jackson PS-1 Performers and Charvel CX models go for that price but you would have to be diligent and patient in your searches. I also agree with most of the posters that it makes more sense to bump up the budget 200-250 and go for a Charvel Model series which is a better guitar imho.

Comment

I feel sorry for ya.

Here's a link. I don't know the guy, don't know how much, but if he's willing to part out, maybe he isn't asking too much.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/....php?t=2502162

Comment

Hi DonP. Thanks for looking for me. I checked into the link you provided, but he wants to get $300 out of the neck, pickups, & electronics, or $300 for the whole guitar (w/stress cracks in the neck pocket.)

I got my Kelly for $150, which I admittedly got lucky with, but I figure there must be more out there in that price range. I had a JS30KE (which I sold after buying my current KE20) and it was a great guitar. I actually really miss the pickups in that guitar, and I think the string through body would probably be easier for him than the Floyd. So I am leaning a lot more towards the JS series Kelly or Warrior, if I can find one...

Well, the search continues....
                My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Comment

Working...
                X