Advice for first (sorta) guitar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice for first (sorta) guitar?

I am trying to find a good starter guitar for my nephew. He currently has a crappy Epoch Les Paul, which he hates, and he wants to try to sell it to get a better guitar. He stayed at our place this past weekend, and he fell in love with my Kelly, but unfortunately, since that's my only guitar and I am out of work, I can't hook him up.

He plays metal (Disturbed, Slipknot, etc.) and has only been playing about 2 months, but in my opinion he's already better than I am. The shorter scale of the Les Paul he's got really chokes him up.

His fundage is very limited, as he's going to only have what he gets out of his Epoch (or maybe a little more if he gets Christmas money or something.) So I'm trying to think of a good (preferably Jackson) guitar for him to learn on that will work on a tight budget.

So I'm turning to the experts for advice.
    What's a good choice for a kid on a budget? Where's a good place to look for one? Been keeping my eye on local Craigslist and of course the classifieds here, but not finding that super-cheap "gem" for him. Any help is appreciated. Thanks guys!
    Last edited by DalyTek; 11-30-2009, 09:40 PM. Reason: Fixing my stupid spelling mistakes...
    My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

What is his budget?
    2011 USA Jackson Soloist
    2007 USA Jackson Soloist
    2007 USA BC Rich Warlock
    2009 Edwards ECY 165
    2009 Schecter Hellraiser
    2006 USA BC Rich Wave
    2012 Gibson LP Trad
    1981 USA BC Rich Mockingbird

Comment

I would probably guess around $100, possibly $150.
      (Technically, his budget right now is $0, because he needs to sell that Epoch first...)
      My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

Comment

Keep your eye on the local Craigslist.
        "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by Musician78 View Post
          Keep your eye on the local Craigslist.
          For what, though? There's a lotta junk on CL.
          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Japanese Jacksons are great bang for the buck and sometimes can be had for less than 200.
            Performer series, Concept, DK, DX...etc.

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
              For what, though? There's a lotta junk on CL.

Well if the budget is 150....
              "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

if you have good hands on ability look to find a parts project, maybe find a loaded body like a dk or something similar and find a cheap neck. you can get a ultra cheap floyd(taiwan special for like 30 bucks on ebay) cheap pick ups can aways be found, buy one component at time as money permits if needed
                DK2 EERIE DESS
                KE3 CUSTOM
                KELLY PROFESSIONAL
                KELLY PS6T W/ DK2 NECK
                RR3 PRO
                BC RICH MR-7 STEALTH
                KRAMER VOYAGER
                LINE6 HD150 SPIDER IV HEAD
                TWIN CRATE 4X12 CABS

Comment

Getting to the $200-$250 range might be able to score a Charvel Model series.

KE3's used to go for around $200 on ebay (I bought one). Have they gone up?

Comment

Yeah, the only Jacksons I have seen on CL lately have been way over his price range, with the exception of one, but it sold quick. People here in Tucson, AZ are trying to get $150-$200 out of Squiers! I wouldn't mind assembling a parts mutt for him at all, but the parts aren't even very easy to find without resorting to eBay (which I want to avoid at all costs!) Most of the Jackson necks alone are selling for more than his budget. But really, I would love to do that for him. Plus, as an added bonus, I love to assemble stuff, so I'd have a blast putting it together for him.

I know the $200-$250 price range would give him more options and is still low-budget guitars, but bear in mind that's about double what he will have available (his parents just split up.)

If anyone stumbles across some killer deals on parts, or has some extra parts they're willing to part with dirt cheap, let me know. That may be a good route to go...

Comment

That's really weird. This thread disappeared from the list. Had to do a search to see if still existed. Could it be because I edited the title?

Comment

an admin moved it
                        Hail yesterday

Comment

lol oh ok, that makes sense. Sorry admins, if I posted it in the wrong section.

Comment

I'd recommend a MIM strat used.
                            New, you can get them sub $400.00. Used should be within his budget.
                            Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

I picked up a Classic 50s for $250 + tax. Most MIM Strats don't get this low unless on ebay with a shady seller.

I still say a late 80s/90s Charvel with a JT590 trem.

Comment

Working...
                              X