No announcement yet.

how to protect your pointy headstok?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

man that long wing on my Rhoads just wants to hit walls and desks and all sort of stuff. i have to be very careful.
    Marshall 100 watt full stack mg100
    Peavy 6505+ Half stack
    Raven rg20 combo amp
    Jackson Dxmg
    Jackson RR24
    BOSS EFFECTS PEDALS

Comment

Yea they do take getting used too.
      I hooked up my accelerator pedal in my car to my brake lights. I hit the gas, people behind me stop, and I'm gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlz View Post
        For the wings on mine around the house or practice or whatever... I use these (see pic). I got em off ebay quite a while ago... When playing live I took em off, was careful, and immediately stuck the guitar back in the case... as for the headstock - just be careful.

Damn thats nice
        "Too bad Kurt didn't teach John how to aim a gun."
        Jackson Shred

"maybe i should do what madona does and adopt a little chineese kid and get them to knock up a couple of guitars for me" cookiemonster

Comment

It's a guitar, it's meant to be played, not kept all minty. If it gets a little dinged in the line of fire, it's mojo, the guitar still works. Besides, even Marty used a damaged Kelly

If it gets damaged while you're not playing then that just sucks balls.

Comment

Yes, The back of my explorer has a lot of buckle rash, and on the lower protrusion there are a couple white spots where it hit the wall (after that though, I have never scratched a guitar again). And I LOVE it. It shows it's an instrument that has been played hard and loved and been gigged with. Of course if you bought like a model from like a special edition limited batch of 25, then thats different.
            I hooked up my accelerator pedal in my car to my brake lights. I hit the gas, people behind me stop, and I'm gone.

Comment

Originally posted by wilkinsi View Post
              Stop showing off that CS KV. You know full well I want a WR1 in that finish!

Oops! My bad!! I fully apologize... I forgot...

Oh yeah, check this out!!!

Hardware: all black, all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by djford View Post
                just be careful? you all say that, but how many dinged up charvel/jacksons headstocks have we all seen with dings on the tip
                of the headstock? that kv with the tips protected is the answers iam looking for. i dont know about the wall puddy might discolor raw maple
                I owned a RX10D, a RR3, RR5, and a RR1. Never dinged any points or headstocks. Once you get used to them, you realize where and how they sit on your body and how much play you have to move in an area. So I guess a better answer would be PLAY IT..in a safe environment, and learn your limitations. There, ya happy now?? :ROTF: Not giving ya a hard time..just trying to tell you it's possible to own pointies and not mess them up.

Comment

well i guss i will leave the new usa sl1 in the case and jam my model 1(witch ups chiped the headstock ,along with poor packing. the chiped
                  wood was still in te gigbag so i was able to fix it cant even tell its there) and wolfgang.
                  2009 black sl1 usa
                  fire crackle 3dr dead mint(flawless!!)
                  Burgundy mist model 3
                  black model 1 emg
                  black model 3 h/s/s
                  2005 pointy charvel
                  2009 black rr1

Comment

What to do with the Rhoads is hold your hand round the long point when you're walking through doorways or threading your way through backstage or rehearsal room detritus, and hold the guitar more or less vertical in front of you, so the headstock is near your face.

That's my technique anyway, devceloped after I just finished sorting out a wee chip on the headstock of a V, and then smacking the bottom horn on a doorway seconds later.

Comment

Originally posted by SlaytanicDude View Post
                      It's a guitar, it's meant to be played, not kept all minty. If it gets a little dinged in the line of fire, it's mojo, the guitar still works.
                      Quoted for truth.

However, I really don't know what some people do to their guitars. I'm not particularly careful with my guitars, as I play them with reckless abandon. I have dinged them all, but not to the point where wood comes off of them - not even the Vees and RRs. You'd have to really stab them into something for that to happen.

I think most of the time, the biggest "accidents" happen when the guitar is on a stand and someone knocks it over.

Comment

I'm not super careful with my guitars either and I haven't added any significant gashes to any of them. Any chunks of wood missing from points were missing when I got them. Unless you're running through hallways while you're playing, just exercising some common sense will keep your guitars in decent shape.
                        Hail yesterday

Comment

been playing them for like 7 years now never ding one just always a concern of mine!
                          2009 black sl1 usa
                          fire crackle 3dr dead mint(flawless!!)
                          Burgundy mist model 3
                          black model 1 emg
                          black model 3 h/s/s
                          2005 pointy charvel
                          2009 black rr1

Comment

Originally posted by Jacksonguy666 View Post
                            Yes, The back of my explorer has a lot of buckle rash, and on the lower protrusion there are a couple white spots where it hit the wall (after that though, I have never scratched a guitar again). And I LOVE it. It shows it's an instrument that has been played hard and loved and been gigged with. Of course if you bought like a model from like a special edition limited batch of 25, then thats different.
                            i agree i had a guitar tech say once that a guitar had character (dings)
                            Peavy 6505+ Half stack
                            Raven rg20 combo amp
                            Jackson Dxmg
                            Jackson RR24
                            BOSS EFFECTS PEDALS

Comment

Oops! My bad!! I fully apologize... I forgot...

Oh yeah, check this out!!!

i did not know that STONE COLD STEVE AUSTIN played guitars. cool
                              Peavy 6505+ Half stack
                              Raven rg20 combo amp
                              Jackson Dxmg
                              Jackson RR24
                              BOSS EFFECTS PEDALS

Comment

For the wings on mine around the house or practice or whatever... I use these (see pic). I got em off ebay quite a while ago... When playing live I took em off, was careful, and immediately stuck the guitar back in the case... as for the headstock - just be careful.

What are those things actually called and who makes/sells them? Awesome guitar btw.

Comment

Working...
                                X