Will a DK2M accept an original Floyd?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jacksonguy666 View Post
    And I know it doesnt make a jackson strat, smart ass. But I dont have enough dough for a custom shop, and if i do it myself, I get exacly what I want. And it's not a sticker, its a high quality decal. In essence thats what Brad Gillis did as well.
    Dude, you're the one who called a sticker originally, so, not sure what your issue is with that. I'm not saying it's lame because you can't afford a CS guitar, either, there is nothing wrong with that, you can or you can't.

I'm also not saying that putting a Warmoth neck on a MIM FR Strat makes you lame. That is not a bad idea at all, if it gets you what you want and you don't have the skill to drill & assemble an actual Warmoth body.

I'm saying that to put a Jackson sticker or even a "high quality Jackson decal" on a Warmoth neck mounted to a MIM FR Strat is lame. It's called being a poser. It's what you're about to do. Don't be that guy.

Comment

Funny, I was skimming through an old 93 GFTPM and there was a Fender/FR ad that said they made 17 models of FR equipped guitars. I remember the USA one. 17 down to...what, just the one now?
      I still keep practicing though.... Mostly because I hate my neighbors.-MakeAJazzNoiseHere

Comment

Originally posted by PowerTube View Post
        It wasn't me who commented about your Jackson Strat.....
        I know, I didn't feel like making a second post.
        I hooked up my accelerator pedal in my car to my brake lights. I hit the gas, people behind me stop, and I'm gone.

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
          Dude, you're the one who called a sticker originally, so, not sure what your issue is with that. I'm not saying it's lame because you can't afford a CS guitar, either, there is nothing wrong with that, you can or you can't.

I'm also not saying that putting a Warmoth neck on a MIM FR Strat makes you lame. That is not a bad idea at all, if it gets you what you want and you don't have the skill to drill & assemble an actual Warmoth body.

I'm saying that to put a Jackson sticker or even a "high quality Jackson decal" on a Warmoth neck mounted to a MIM FR Strat is lame. It's called being a poser. It's what you're about to do. Don't be that guy.
          Well TONS of people make warmoth customs, and to save money, I will buy an already made body. Although, I had another idea. I also wouldn't mind a Charvel strat, so I want to get one of the san dimas ones and refinish it in baby blue because I don't like pickguard on the fender.
          I hooked up my accelerator pedal in my car to my brake lights. I hit the gas, people behind me stop, and I'm gone.

Comment

Mmmm... Why not just buy a rear-routed Warmoth Strat body already painted baby blue? It's $285, which is about what refinishing an SD1 would cost, unless you're doing it yourself, in which case it's probably not going to turn out like you think.

Comment

Okay, the question is now officially answered. The DK2M will accept an original Floyd.... but not. The poles line up perfectly, but the sustain block is too long on the original Floyd to fit in the cavity. So I swapped the sustain blocks and string pieces and now it's perfect.

One other thing I encountered is that the "bass" side of the Floyd needed to be dropped a bit but it was maxed out. So, I removed the Floyd again, then pulled up the post receptacle, found the right size of drill bit and CAREFULLY drilled it down about another 1/8 of an inch. Now it's smack dead perfect (after a slight turn on the truss rod).

Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

What do you mean by "string pieces"?

Does anyone know if it is possible to order a Floyd Rose tremolo with a smaller block, other than ordering a brass one from FloydUpgrades? I would assume that yours has a 42mm one while I believe the DK2M's is 32mm.

Comment

Every place I know of that sells them, they give you the choice of nut but not the spring block.

I got one of the brass blocks for one of mine, the others I needed the 37mm anyway since it was a non-recessed mount.

I'm replacing an SL2 JT580LP with a floyd w/32mm block and it's working just fine except the Floyd lock nut is about 1 mm too tall. The original lock nut is thrashed, so I can't use it.

Given the choice of paying to have the shelf dropped 1 mm, trying it myself and potentially screwing up a great guitar, or filing down an OFR nut 1 mm, I chose the last option. If it doesn't work, I've got another black R3 OFR nut and I'll pay my luthier to buzz the shelf down.

Comment

Yes
                    JvicE

Comment

Originally posted by marnold View Post
                      What do you mean by "string pieces"?
                      I meant the saddles. I could have used the saddles from the JT-580, but the piece that goes back against the fine tuning screws won't physically go through the slots in the Floyd. It's close but no cigar.
                      Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Originally posted by j4vice View Post
                        Yes
                        Care to elaborate, give a link, etc.?

Comment

As my Grandpa used to say......if you want a fast car....buy one!

Comment

I think you mean the string lock screws that go into the saddle the jt580 wont fit as its a lo profile trem, and the parts are probably a lot different so non interchangeable between the jt and ofr..

The sustain block being longer shouldnt stop the trem from working or fitting, the rear cavity cover may not go on but the trem should still work, had the same thing with a Gotoh FR with a 37mm block.. so the cavity cover had to stay off...

I would suggest trying to get shorter block either one of the floydupgrades short brass sustain blocks, im sure you could sell the ofr 37mm one quite easily, but I dont think your getting the full benifit using the jt580 block...

Comment

Originally posted by KBDkaTana View Post
                              As my Grandpa used to say......if you want a fast car....buy one!
                              Eh?
                              http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Myabe it's just me, but I'm not seeing any issues. I dropped my OFR into my DK2M last night with no problems. Block fits fine.

Am I missing something?
                                "Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant." - on the back of the business card for Bella the Pomeranian

The comments expressed here do not necessarily reflect the opinions of management.

Comment

Working...
                                X