Ringing Trem Springs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nsubulysses View Post
    There's nothing to repair. Dampen the springs and it's over with.
    +1

As said above, a piece of fabric, kleenex/paper towel or rubber band can solve the problem. Have you tried it out?
    JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
    Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

Lotsa drama over such a simple fix.
      Scott
      Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

What are luthiers doing to correct the problem ???.. I for one swap the springs and check for loose parts on the trem.If need be go to a lighter or heavier spring and change the tension at the claw to compensate. If its simply due to the fact the wood between the pickup routes and the trem cavity is too thin,then then I resort to dampening the cavity...No rubber bands..no duct tape on the springs and nothing to interfere with the trem itself. Sometimes is as simple as how the trem claw ground is routed through the cavity and filling that and drilling it properly will fix the issue.
        Stop by your local shop and ask them how they fix the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by nsubulysses View Post
          Why would you be pissed? They would have solved your problem, which you could easily do yourself but you want a pro repair or something. There's nothing to repair. Dampen the springs and it's over with.
          I'd be pissed because IMO, it would be a sure sign of incompetence.
          A "pro" should be able to diagnose the problem and correct it properly.
          Using foam, Kleenex, duct tape and rubber bands may work, but IMO you're just putting a "bandaid" on the problem .... not correcting it.

Originally posted by atdguitars View Post
          What are luthiers doing to correct the problem ???.. I for one swap the springs and check for loose parts on the trem.If need be go to a lighter or heavier spring and change the tension at the claw to compensate. If its simply due to the fact the wood between the pickup routes and the trem cavity is too thin,then then I resort to dampening the cavity...No rubber bands..no duct tape on the springs and nothing to interfere with the trem itself. Sometimes is as simple as how the trem claw ground is routed through the cavity and filling that and drilling it properly will fix the issue.
          I totally agree.
          I also suggested a brass big block upgrade ...
          If the problem is in fact "resonant frequency", I would think adding mass to the trem would certainly help if not eliminate the problem all together.

Comment

Originally posted by StukaJU87 View Post
            Sorry guys.
            I'm not trying to start any drama here ... I'm just trying to ask/offer suggestions for a professional repair and I just don't consider the use of Kleenex, paper towles, rubber bands, and duct tape as very "professional". But if it works and you guys are happy with that, than that's awesome.

Comment

all i can say is that shimming your saddles on a floyd with a tin strip for whatever reason was once considered rigging it up to serve its purpose. nowadays that is considered the professional way for certain issues. maybe the foam idea is just ahead of its time.

Comment

When you are concerned with professionalism it's not very punk tho

Comment

Originally posted by Model1VH2 View Post
                  I'd be pissed because IMO, it would be a sure sign of incompetence.
                  A "pro" should be able to diagnose the problem and correct it properly.
                  Using foam, Kleenex, duct tape and rubber bands may work, but IMO you're just putting a "bandaid" on the problem .... not correcting it.

I totally agree.
                  I also suggested a brass big block upgrade ...
                  If the problem is in fact "resonant frequency", I would think adding mass to the trem would certainly help if not eliminate the problem all together.

( adding mass to the trem block would make the problem worse ..
                  the heavier block would be affected less by the vibrations of the strings ( which is why it sustains more .. the energy of the strings stays in the strings for longer ) but in the same way, any vibration of the trem springs would last for longer )

no, hold on .. the sPrings are getting their energy from the sTrings via the trem block, if the trem block is moving less, the springs will be excited less, so the problem will be reduced

changed my mind halfway through my reply!

a big block will REDUCE the problem of sympathetic vibrations in the trem springs, whether or not it will reduce it ENOUGH is something to determine by trial and error

or just go down the tape/rubber band/foam route which is proven to work, just not as pretty, cute, or 'professional'

Comment

Originally posted by StukaJU87 View Post
                    Srsly.

It doesn't matter what note you hit, you tap the guitar hard enough and the trem springs will vibrate.

Comment

There are a couple things that could cause the problem. It usually has more to do with the springs themselves than anything else. Depending on the amount of tension required for a particular gague string and where the guitar is tuned you can get a variety of unwanted resonant tones. If you look into a variety of trem guitars, you will see that there are good and cheap springs, and lighter and heavier springs. Usually the cheap "white metal" looking springs will vibrate and cause the annoying resonant tone somewhere on the neck when cranked to a specific tension. What the note is varies by the spring tension. (change the tuning and spring tension on your guitar and you'll see that the note changed too) Putting something in there to dampen the springs will do the job, but make sure it doesn't interfere with the springs stretching and contracting back otherwise you won't ever stay in tune. Best solution is to get 3 good shiny (chrome looking) springs at a good medium tension and the tone will go away without losing any sustain.
                      Transitioning from Retired Musician from cover bands to a Full time vocalist/frontman/guitarist in an original and covers band....it's been a while and this should get NASTY!

Check out the new band at - https://www.facebook.com/PerfectStormMetal/?fref=nf

Comment

I've had this happen before. Try putting foam inside the springs and it may go away. Also try setting the springs up differently, like all three in a straight line and see what happens. It was bitch to get rid of. I finally blocked the floyd off and it finally went away.

Also to model1vh2 all music is is a side effect of vibration. Some things will vibrate with certain frequencies also known as notes. Anything metal has a resonant frequency that will caus it havok.
                        It's pronounced soops

Comment

I use paper towel to deal with this on my Jackson.
                          "Dear Dr. Bill,
                          I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

dude here is a video tutorial on it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8v-I6CijYo

i subscribed to this guys videos, he really knows his stuff. he shows you with toilet paper :P its amazing how subtle some of the noise in the trem springs can be.

Comment

Mr. Wipple would be proud.

Comment

Working...
                              X