No announcement yet.

Ringing Trem Springs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have had guitars make godawful resonating noises with certain notes. With weird spring noises, I've found it's easiest to just reshuffle the deck and put fresh ones on there.

Comment

Originally posted by Model1VH2 View Post
      Sorry if this is a stupid question, but what causes that?
      And if it's a matter of "resonant frequency", wouldn't a spring adjustment cure it?
      Maybe try removing the middle spring and adjusting the trem claw.
      Or you could keep the 3 springs, block the trem, and adjust the trem claw.
      Either way, I would think if you adjusted the springs, they would no longer be within that "resonant frequency", no?
      Yep.. thats exactly right.. but depending on how the guitar is set up it could also throw the trem out of whack as well. As was mentioned above, fresh springs might cure the problem as well. There are a number of fixes for the problem.
      I've seen truss rods do this very same thing..Now thats something that will drive you nuts compromising the relief to get the noise out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by dg View Post
        Those solutions might work, or they might just change the resonant frequency & result in ringing at another pitch, plus they would change the way the trem feels or performs, whereas the foam trick works with any way you set up the trem.

Still doesn't explain HOW that happens. (?)
        I've owned more Floyd equiped guitars in the past 25+ years than I can remember and I've never even heard of something like this happening.
        Weird.

Comment

This happens on my Charvel 750XL when I play a C note. There is something on Steve Vai's website about how he puts a paper towel or something in the cavity, just like people are saying here.

Comment

I've had quite a few guitars over the years as well, and only had one that rang enough for me to bother dampening the springs. Some rang a little, some not at all. Not sure why some guitars do it more than others, but it is definitely caused by particular resonant frequencies making the springs vibrate sympathetically.

Comment

Fender fags call it "sympathetic vibrations" and pay more for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                Fender fags call it "sympathetic vibrations" and pay more for it.
                Are you sure it isn't "synchronized vibrations?" I'm pretty sure it says so right on the headstock.

I've tried stuffing the cavity with foam between the springs and the body. The ringing just moves to "A" and sounds strangely "deeper" inside the guitar. Still in the body though, not the neck. Maybe trying two springs would work. The change of tension would change the resonant frequency and I like that extra flutter anyway. Let's hope...
                Last edited by Disturbing Manor; 05-28-2009, 01:55 AM.
                The last thing I want to do is hurt you...but it's still on the list.

Comment

there's a really easy fix for that. Get any sort of packing foam, cut it into 10x1x1cm portions and put them INSIDE the springs. What i do is cut them about 25x1x1 and wrap an old guitar string around one end of the foam. Push the guitar string into the spring and feed that through the inside of the spring. Then just pull the string out the other side and it pulls the foam inside the spring. Then just cut off the excess foam.

works a charm. When i get home i'll take a photo and show you what i mean. It's a fairly simple thing to do and works wonders.
                  THIS IS MY POST
                  Thanks for reading

Comment

Just use the velcro stap from monster cables and wrap it around the springs a few times

Comment

I've had this for years on my model 4 .. the trem springs pick up vibrations from the strings through the trem block .. it's worse at certain frequencies at harmonics of the trem springs natural resonance. connecting the springs to claws 1, 3 and 5 gives different resonances than connecting them to 2, 3 and 4 .. that might be a simple enough fix to make the problem go away.

I got round it by wrapping 2 layers of electrical tape in a sort of double figure of 8 round the three trem springs .. it doesn't affect trem action, and damps the resonance to a level where you can't hear it any more. Duck tape works just as well, just squeeze a flat piece onto the springs and check it's still stuck on every few months

( of course it's still there, just over-damped rather than lightly damped, but as long as you can't hear it, it's not a problem )

Comment

Originally posted by Model1VH2 View Post
                        Sorry if this is a stupid question, but what causes that?
                        And if it's a matter of "resonant frequency", wouldn't a spring adjustment cure it?
                        Maybe try removing the middle spring and adjusting the trem claw.
                        Or you could keep the 3 springs, block the trem, and adjust the trem claw.
                        Either way, I would think if you adjusted the springs, they would no longer be within that "resonant frequency", no?
                        That's true. If you change the length of the springs you'd change their resonant frequency, just like moving a trombone slide changes the pitch being played.

To the OP: You could try touching each spring when the sound happens and see which one is resonating.

I have this happen on my Kelly, but it's just for 1/4 second so I let it go.
                        Scott

Comment

Just a thought ...

Why not try swapping out the stock block for a big brass upgrade block?
                          Surely that would change the "resonant frequency" properties, no?
                          There's just something about stuffing foam (or whatever) in a trem cavity that doesn't set well with me.

Comment

take a large rubber band or 2 and cut it. wrap around springs and tie loosely. problem solved. many pro players are using this method when recording.

Comment

Originally posted by thenine View Post
                              take a large rubber band or 2 and cut it. wrap around springs and tie loosely. problem solved. many pro players are using this method when recording.
                              Okay ... supposedly that's what many "pro players" are using.
                              So what are luthiers doing to correct this problem?

If I brought my guitar in for this sort of repair and got it back with foam stuffed in the trem cavity or rubber bands tied to the springs, I'd be pretty pissed.

Comment

Why would you be pissed? They would have solved your problem, which you could easily do yourself but you want a pro repair or something. There's nothing to repair. Dampen the springs and it's over with.

Comment

Working...
                                X