"Monster" cables

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dg View Post
    I go out of my way to use any other brand of cable, whether it's guitar-related or not, because I don't want my money being used to harass & extort licensing agreements from other businesses who make the mistake of using the word "monster" in their name or product.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...UG1J9N3C61.DTL
    Monster cables..asshats in 3 piece suits. They must use EVH's lawyers for their goon work. Horizon, Rapco, EB... it doesn't really matter. As long as it has good quality (switchcraft) ends that are SOLDERED to the cable its all good. Monster has some of the most flimsy connections there are. I'd buy a piece of lamp cord and radio shack connector before I'd use a monster cable.

Comment

Try the new GORE (elixir) cables!!!..that being said I use monster .
      Hey I work for GORE and want my stock to go up!

Supposedly they are great cables...gonna get some freebies to try head to head and will post.

Monsters are good cables, never had one fail on me yet. I have been trying to collect one 12 footer of each to do a comparison. I think that is the only way I will get to the bottom of it.
      www.JerryRobison.com
      '84 RR, '06 Pablo Santana Soloist,'76 Gibson LP Custom 3 pup,'79 LP custom 2 pup,'82 Gibson XR-1,'89 BC Rich Namm proto, '07 Lauher custom, 86 & 87 model 6, Carol-Ann Amplifiers, Marshall amps, Keeley pedals....it's a long list. Check out my site.

Comment

There are advantages to gold-plated connectors, and disadvantages. The really good thing about the gold-plated connectors is that they won't corrode. However, what about the jacks on your amp? :think:

I don't really believe there's any appreciable difference between gold connectors and the standard plated connectors, when they are clean, ESPECIALLY when you consider that it's unlikely that you're going to find gold-plated connectors on your jacks on your pedals, amp, or even in your guitar.

As far as the wire is concerned, resistance in the wire will reduce the overall signal level, and capacitance could affect the frequency response and balance. But a cable with nickle-plated Switchcraft plugs (that aren't old and corroded) using cable made with Belden wire plugged into a Switchcraft jack (that isn't corroded) is plenty good enough for anyone.

If you want to spend the money for gold-tipped plugs to plug into your effects pedals with nickle jacks, go for it. The plating will wear off but it won't corrode, and the cable will work perfectly for a long time. However you probably could have replaced your nickle-plated cables a couple of times for the money you spent, or just cleaned them with a little Brasso.

Comment

Don't forget wire shielding to keep floor noise down. Bottom line is some people can hear the difference, and some can't. Best to figure out which you are and go from there. Being able to hear the difference gets really fucking expensive.
          www.JerryRobison.com
          '84 RR, '06 Pablo Santana Soloist,'76 Gibson LP Custom 3 pup,'79 LP custom 2 pup,'82 Gibson XR-1,'89 BC Rich Namm proto, '07 Lauher custom, 86 & 87 model 6, Carol-Ann Amplifiers, Marshall amps, Keeley pedals....it's a long list. Check out my site.

Comment

I'm sorry, but what you hear is your imagination telling you that your money was well-spent.

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
              I'm sorry, but what you hear is your imagination telling you that your money was well-spent.
              Nope...always try to be objective, since you can take the shit back to the store where you got it.
              www.JerryRobison.com

Comment

OK... What about them actually makes them "sound better"?

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
                  OK... What about them actually makes them "sound better"?
                  Ahhh. You got me wrong, I never said monsters are the best, by any means. What I am saying is try them all out head to head and if you can hear the difference it will get expensive.
                  www.JerryRobison.com

Comment

I use Rapco and Whirlwind cables. They've served the majority of professional touring musicians for decades, so why buy into hype?
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Partial @ Marshall View Post
                      What I am saying is try them all out head to head and if you can hear the difference it will get expensive.
                      I don't dispute at all that different wire can color the tone in different ways, and make a difference in sound - especially with longer lengths. And I totally agree that shielding and low noise are important and this comes with better cabling.

But I disagree that the "expensive" name-brand cables sound better (or are less noisy) than what you can make yourself with some Switchcraft ends and quality cable (like Belden coax).

The fancy gold-plated connectors are complete bullshit, especially when they're paired with nickle-plated jacks in your effects and amp and guitar. Some of them are even solderless, which is dumb.

All you really need is some decent wire and some Switchcraft ends, and solder them on properly. And in many rigs (like mine) there's so little cable (25 feet or so) that it's not making much of a tone difference either way.

Comment

I started playing guitar in 1988. That year I bought a white 10-ft Rapco guitar cord for my 1st POS gorilla TC-35. I still use it today without any problems...uh, the cord that is, that "amp" I sold for peanuts! Of course, it's more of a yellow color now than white. I've bought many other brands thru the years, and this cord and maybe 3 others have stood the test of time.
                        "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

I can't hear the difference in tone between different cables. I can hear floor noise if the cable isn't properly shielded though.
                          "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

I have a lot of cables on my system (multiple pedals and three amp in my live rig) and would have made them if I had the time. Suprised no one has brought up Mogami
                            www.JerryRobison.com

Comment

I thought I abandonned this thread. I never got round to buying any new cable(s)... What do people her think of those "Fender" cables - the ones that look like thick braided shoelaces? They're about £40 a pop, but look like they're incapable of coiling up like my Piranha cables keep doing.
                              Last edited by wilkinsi; 08-31-2009, 11:48 AM.
                              Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

A little off topic, but for those having problems with corrosion etc on jacks or cables deoxit is your best friend. Stuff works great.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2104746

I have a big can of the "regular", not gold plated cleaner, for most stuff, but have these little ones too. Can't comment on the gold cleaner since I've never used it, but the normal stuff kicks ass.

Comment

Working...
                                X